The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-14-2017 05:04 PM
99 1234
tools
    Anybody who knows me around here knows it wasn't going to take long for me to get this phone. My initial impressions are that it's a well built device with a nice display. I don't know if it's a bug but the start screen sometimes stays stuck on stupid with the dreaded resuming. Other times it won't load the start at all from sleep and will reboot. Picture quality has been stellar or abysmal, no middle ground yet. I got Windows Insider but the Configuration Update is all I got. No .107 yet 😠. The 2 gigs of RAM are quite evident when updating or installing new apps. Those 1GB devices like the 640 make updating an exercise in patience worthy of Sister Teresa.

All this experiment has been done without a SIM card so maybe the performance improves with a constant connection. I've seen it happen before. That's all for now.
    Just picked one up today. I was super excited, got everything ready to start up as I've done many times before and when I got to the part where it asks me to sign in to a Microsoft account the sign-in button simply did not respond. Decided to log in later. The splash screen came up, the usual boot sequence, blah blah blah. Except the start screen never loaded, the action menu always retracted, and when I tried to access the settings it said I needed to go to the store to find an app. Several hard resets later and still no go. Doing a factory reset now, hoping for better luck.
    02-11-2016 08:35 PM
    Anybody who knows me around here knows it wasn't going to take long for me to get this phone. My initial impressions are that it's a well built device with a nice display. I don't know if it's a bug but the start screen sometimes stays stuck on stupid with the dreaded resuming. Other times it won't load the start at all from sleep and will reboot. Picture quality has been stellar or abysmal, no middle ground yet. I got Windows Insider but the Configuration Update is all I got. No .107 yet 😠. The 2 gigs of RAM are quite evident when updating or installing new apps. Those 1GB devices like the 640 make updating an exercise in patience worthy of Sister Teresa.

All this experiment has been done without a SIM card so maybe the performance improves with a constant connection. I've seen it happen before. That's all for now.

how is the rear camera on there? is it any good or at least comparable to the 640?

Sent from mTalk
    02-11-2016 09:14 PM
    Later when I have a chance I'll put up a short tutorial about how to get 10586.107 on this phone.
    02-12-2016 04:21 PM
    Picked up the Alcatel Fierce tonight from Tmo. After setting it up I am enjoying the very large screen and build quality of the phone. I have a L550 as a backup to my 950, but I wanted to try a non Lumia for once. Anyway, I will have to play around with the phone some before I can decide if I want to keep it or not.
    So far it operates pretty smoothly. Camera is ok I guess for a cheap phone, but the phone itself feels well made.
    Let's hope we see more OEM's come to the platform. I think I could become a serious fan of Alcatel if they stay with windows. Man after three years of using Lumia's, we need other players that are committed to the platform.
    I really hope Alcatel goes the distance here. It would be so wonderful if we get the choices that android users have. Only time will tell.
    02-12-2016 10:02 PM
    Later when I have a chance I'll put up a short tutorial about how to get 10586.107 on this phone. https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02...907682495d.jpg
    So spill the beans doodio!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2016 10:05 PM
    I DO dig the charge light, just wish it was a notification light too. And coming from numerous Nokia phones, the power button above the volume buttons is going to take some adjustment.
    They probably put the buttons in that area, since that's how most Android devices are designed, and they had an Android version available before the Windows version was released.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-12-2016 10:21 PM
    They probably put the buttons in that area, since that's how most Android devices are designed, and they had an Android version available before the Windows version was released.
    This makes a lot of sense.

I wonder if cases for the Android work for the Windows version?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2016 10:23 PM
    I'll be finding out shortly. I've got a case on the way from Amazon. It didn't say, specifically that it was for the Android version. However, I can't imagine there is a Win version out that quickly. It's just a clear TPU case. I'll report back.

As far as this phone goes, it's been a long, freezing and random reboot plagued couple of days. Many many instances of "Resuming...." at the homescreen. Long story really short, I've reset the phone and removed my SD card. This seems to have resolved the issues for now. The phone seems much more stable, and the games I reported not being usable are somewhat moreso now.
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    02-13-2016 01:57 AM
    Oops!

It is, think I need some coffee!
    Or Scotch, works for me.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    02-13-2016 07:08 PM
    I'm waiting on it I might buy it to check it out interested in how it performs and the battery life. Would this phone be able to join the insider program?

Sent from mTalk
    We have one already running .107. The question right now is, has it been loaded onto the WDRT. I haven't got anything back from @NorthFaceHiker. Last conversation was, he was checking. But yes, apparently you can get the Insider Builds on it. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.
    RumoredNow, Sedp23 and TechFreak1 like this.
    02-13-2016 07:19 PM
    I picked up an XL from the TM store a couple days ago, and I like it. Like, quick and excellent screen. I can also report that at least in my case, the phone will take a 128GB micro flash card. I had one in my 635 and moved it to the XL, found it, mounted it, all of the music and data I had on it is there and available...no problems at all. The only decision I have now id weather or not to root it and update it to .107. May wait a bit and see how this goes before attempting it.
    libra89, Guytronic, Sedp23 and 1 others like this.
    02-15-2016 09:00 AM
    I bought this last week and coming from a Lumia 635 the difference is night and day. The 2GB RAM helps significantly. Web pages load with very few problems. App switching is fast and the Start screen loads quickly every time. And the screen is much nicer than I'd expected as long as you set brightness manually. I also found that the text is sharper after going to Settings/Disply and adjusting the Size slider to 175%. That gets you an extra column of tiles on the Start screen and also gives you twice as many app previews in the app switcher.
    libra89, Guytronic, jaceot and 2 others like this.
    02-15-2016 12:44 PM
    I picked up an XL from the TM store a couple days ago, and I like it. Like, quick and excellent screen. I can also report that at least in my case, the phone will take a 128GB micro flash card. I had one in my 635 and moved it to the XL, found it, mounted it, all of the music and data I had on it is there and available...no problems at all. The only decision I have now id weather or not to root it and update it to .107. May wait a bit and see how this goes before attempting it.

Thanks because I have a 128gb in my 640 I was worried about the Alcatel

Sent from mTalk
    02-16-2016 11:17 AM
    The "up to" size that these OEMs list in their spec seems to just be an indicator of what class of reader it is, IMHO. SD/SDHC/SDXC/SD UHS-I/etc.

So for the Fierce at "up to 32 GB" that would mean it is in the SDHC class and may even be an SDHC UHS-I or II reader. Only testing an appropriate card would let us know for sure...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

capture01.pngcapture02.png

This seems to be a good App to test your read/write speeds on phone: http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=gUfH9ORJ
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 02-16-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-16-2016 11:41 AM
    "I also found that the text is sharper after going to Settings/Disply and adjusting the Size slider to 175%. That gets you an extra column of tiles on the Start screen and also gives you twice as many app previews in the app switcher."

mplsdoug: Thanks very much for suggesting this- it really improves the phone!
    02-16-2016 04:40 PM
    Oh yea- I'm sure it's something obvious, but what's the colored dot for on the keyboard?
    02-16-2016 04:51 PM
    Oh yea- I'm sure it's something obvious, but what's the colored dot for on the keyboard?
    A cursor. Try sliding it in one direction or another.
    02-16-2016 05:20 PM
    Cool- thanks!
    02-16-2016 05:29 PM
    I picked up a new Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL for my daughter this evening. I have to say, coming from a Lumia Icon, it's not a bad phone at all. It's a great "smartphone starter", even though her whole school uses iPhone. She was extremely stoked about the size of her new phone.

I have yet got her fully setup with the phone. I do want to get Skype ready for her and to use. I told her what iPhone has to offer and that her phone has the same thing. We can video chat, chat through skype, share files on OneDrive and a ton more. Her school gives her Office 365 but I haven't been able to link that up with her Outlook account yet.

Otherwise, it is a nice phone for the price and a great phone for my daughter to start with.
    02-16-2016 09:48 PM
    Thanks because I have a 128gb in my 640 I was worried about the Alcatel

Sent from mTalk
    I just picked one up. Haven't been able to get any Insider updates yet, except for a configuration.
    We got WDRT support with it's last update, so I'd expect builds to be available soon.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-17-2016 09:32 AM
    I bought this last week and coming from a Lumia 635 the difference is night and day. The 2GB RAM helps significantly. Web pages load with very few problems. App switching is fast and the Start screen loads quickly every time.
    I was by the T-mo store today, and blessedly, they had a OneTouch XL as a working display model. I hate to rain on the parade, but I have to say, based on my 15 minutes of in-store testing, I was underwhelmed by its performance. It's definitely on par w/ my L635, and might be somewhat more responsive, but I beg to differ on it being night and day. Doug, did you have a 512MB RAM 635? I have the 1GB version.

Also, am I the only one who feels that the scrolling on Windows 10 could still use some work? For the most part, the scrolling tracks well w/ my finger, but with frustrating regularity, it scrolls at hyper-speed, even though I scrolled w/ my finger at the same rate. I had the same problem w/ Insiders' Preview on my L635.

I'm going to hang onto my 635 for now, and will take a wait-and-see approach.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-17-2016 11:35 AM
    One thing I noticed was this device takes an unusually long time for the OS to "settle". Once it does, the resuming chills out and the scrolling is a lot less jittery. The camera still blows though, and that's a deal breaker. The HDR is a joke because although it helps with sharpening up the detail, it overexposes quite a bit and some subjects look cartoonish.
    Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-17-2016 12:38 PM
    some subjects look cartoonish.
    Have you tried switching off the ffc to the rear camera to solve this?
    Guytronic and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-17-2016 12:52 PM
    We got WDRT support with it's last update, so I'd expect builds to be available soon.
    Has anyone gotten this to work? Mine says device not recognized.
    Chef316 likes this.
    02-17-2016 01:07 PM
    Has anyone gotten this to work? Mine says device not recognized.
    It takes a few extra steps with the Alcatel check RumoredNow's thread for details here:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...more-oems.html

Good luck!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-17-2016 02:43 PM
99 1234