04-12-2013 03:16 PM
29 12
tools
    BlackBerry Falls on Reports of Weakening Sales, Returns of Z10 - Bloomberg
    BlackBerry Falls on Reports of Weakening Sales, Returns of Z10The U.S. launch of the Z10 started poorly and weakened significantly as the
    days passed, Joseph Fersedi, an analyst at ITG Investment Research, said today
    in a note, citing information from independent dealers. Some U.S. retailers are
    seeing a significant increase in customers returning their Z10s because they
    find the interface unintuitive, Detwiler Fenton & Co. said today.

04-11-2013 03:49 PM
    Detwiler Fenton also goes on to say,

“In several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,” Detwiler Fenton said.
    Hopefully that's not true. Or if it is, that things pick up RIMBerry. While I definitely want WP to succeed over BB, I do believe there's a void that BB10 can fill. But every month the news gets more and more grim.
    04-11-2013 04:00 PM
    You should see the Crackberries. They are flipping out on this news, vehemently denying that this report could be accurate at all. The CEO made a classic corporate spin post about the rate of returns being similar to other high end phones and expected. The fact they haven't posted some real numbers to counter makes me believe there is some truth to the report.
    Etios likes this.
    04-11-2013 09:51 PM
    Don't think we can brag. The L920 also experienced high return rates.
    04-11-2013 09:59 PM
    You should see the Crackberries. They are flipping out on this news, vehemently denying that this report could be accurate at all. The CEO made a classic corporate spin post about the rate of returns being similar to other high end phones and expected. The fact they haven't posted some real numbers to counter makes me believe there is some truth to the report.
    The fact is that the other side didn't post any real numbers either.

At the very least, Munster would have said that he had his assistants phoned up x number of stores --- and Munster tells you that exact number of what x is.
    04-11-2013 10:15 PM
    Most of the stores I've been to are seeing weak sales but literally zero returns.
    04-11-2013 10:24 PM
    maybe so, but the return rate was never higher than the amount that are selling ......

The corporate at&t store by my house has sold 1 thus far........ That's no good.
    04-11-2013 10:26 PM
    maybe so, but the return rate was never higher than the amount that are selling ......

The corporate at&t store by my house has sold 1 thus far........ That's no good.
    Complete BS rumors. If they say that people returned their Z10 because they found that the app store is lacking --- I might buy that argument. But they are saying that they are returning because the UI is not intuitive, that I don't buy --- unless Americans are vastly more stupid than the rest of the world.
    04-11-2013 10:37 PM
    I'd just like to point out that the return rate can't be higher than the amount they are selling. That makes zero sense. Can't sell ten and take back eleven.
    04-11-2013 10:46 PM
    i think they meant that the returns are coming in at a faster rate than the rate at which they are selling of new z10s >.<
    04-11-2013 11:23 PM
    Fiddling with it @ the local phone store, seemed awkward non intuitive. Sales guy said he did not sell too many, and those who did return chose android or ios devices. US is a strange homogenized market..
    04-11-2013 11:34 PM
    Complete BS rumors. If they say that people returned their Z10 because they found that the app store is lacking --- I might buy that argument. But they are saying that they are returning because the UI is not intuitive, that I don't buy --- unless Americans are vastly more stupid than the rest of the world.
    Actually, there's a meme centered around how dumb Americans are perceived as.
    And, that UI is not as intuitive as the MeeGo or WP UI, but is still easy enough to understand. It's a lot like Win8 in terms of learning curve.
    04-11-2013 11:47 PM
    i think they meant that the returns are coming in at a faster rate than the rate at which they are selling of new z10s >.<
    You're probably right, but that's not how he worded it. I did chuckle when I read it, 'cause it sounded totally backwards to me too, but I came to the same conclusion afterwards...lol
    04-11-2013 11:53 PM
    I'd just like to point out that the return rate can't be higher than the amount they are selling. That makes zero sense. Can't sell ten and take back eleven.
    Some people had to return the Pre's 8 or 9 times to get one functioning properly.

A bad UI and hardware problems could easily lead to more returns than sales
    04-11-2013 11:59 PM
    the Z10 doesn't have a higher return rate than other OS
    04-12-2013 12:13 AM
    No, you're right. MS has their own share of woes this year too. Looks like another banner year for Apple and The Goog though.
    04-12-2013 12:15 AM
    The 920 may not have sold like hotcakes compared to the iphones and galaxys of this world, but even it had more positive buzz around it compared to the Z10 when it was finally released.

There are a lot of indications that the BB10 launch in the US has been a flop and thinking the Q10 will turn things around is laughable at this point.
    04-12-2013 12:36 AM
    There have been a lot of returns over the lack of Outlook sync. Business people who are not rolling BES really needed that. There is a thread about it that is massive. I have been waiting to get the new Z10 (my Torch 9810 holds my Exchange account using BES) and even I can't get the Z10 until the Link Software offers SMIME cert sync like Bkackberry's older Desktop Software. Fortunately I checked first otherwise I would be one of the returns. Blackberry is going to deliver the Outlook sync - they are working on it now. I haven't read anywhere if they will include the SMIME cert sync but am hoping they do. There is a place for Blackberry and the BES as there is nothing out there like it. I am hoping they survive. That being said - you'd have to pry my Nokia Lumia 920 out of my cold dead hands ; )
    04-12-2013 01:04 AM
    The thing about the UI is that it is complex. It would be easy for someone like me to use, as is Android, but I won't go BB for the same reason I won't go Android...to complex to do a lot of simple things. I like my phone to be something I can easily get to everything I need and not think about it. I don't want to remember the three different forms of menus on BB and all the various gestures. webOS used just a couple key gestures. WP8 just requires a couple of things to do everything. Same with iOS.

In the end, I don't think BB is going to make much of a comeback due to all the negative publicity and the fact that the hub alone is simple not enough to overlook other aspects of the OS that I think most regular consumers will be turned off by.

And I honestly don't understand why so many people have difficulty with the following concept:
    Week 1: 100 sales 5 returns
    Week 2: 50 sales 15 returns
    Week 3: 25 sales 26 returns --> returns are now higher than sales
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-12-2013 06:15 AM
    the Z10 doesn't have a higher return rate than other OS

Oh, how high are the return rates of all platforms?
    04-12-2013 07:56 AM
    well actually the returning rates are significant cause Z10 is having low sale rates...if you take a SGS3 for example, which sold millions of units worldwide, even a number considered high can appear insignificant!

if Z10 was selling millions and millions of units, this info would surely be kind of irrelevant...but that's not the scenario here!
    04-12-2013 08:15 AM
    I think every new phone has an initial high return rate. People today want perfection even though it doesn't esist.
    04-12-2013 08:45 AM
    I don't think it's that surprising that the Z10 isn't doing well. Everyone I know that still uses a Blackberry likes it because of the physical keyboard. I bet the Q10 will do much better than the Z10.
    04-12-2013 10:35 AM
    It's probably not un-intuitive. Just something different to what they are used to. Just like Windows 8, I dont think it's any less intuitive, it's just different. Actually, I think most of it is much smarter than doing it fe. Windows 7 style.

I havnt got use a Z10, though, but it looked interesting in the videos. Not interesting enough for me to even consider it, but still.
    04-12-2013 10:38 AM
    FYI - Blackberry's response - blackberry ftw!
    Last edited by eugenelee223; 04-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Made in flanders likes this.
    04-12-2013 11:03 AM
29 12