Bad news for Blackberry. Z10 return rate high

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry Falls on Reports of Weakening Sales, Returns of Z10 - Bloomberg
[h=1]BlackBerry Falls on Reports of Weakening Sales, Returns of Z10?The U.S. launch of the Z10 started poorly and weakened significantly as the
days passed,? Joseph Fersedi, an analyst at ITG Investment Research, said today
in a note, citing information from independent dealers. Some U.S. retailers are
seeing a significant increase in customers returning their Z10s because they
find the interface unintuitive, Detwiler Fenton & Co. said today.

[/h]

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Detwiler Fenton also goes on to say,

“In several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,” Detwiler Fenton said.

Hopefully that's not true. Or if it is, that things pick up RIMBerry. While I definitely want WP to succeed over BB, I do believe there's a void that BB10 can fill. But every month the news gets more and more grim.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You should see the Crackberries. They are flipping out on this news, vehemently denying that this report could be accurate at all. The CEO made a classic corporate spin post about the rate of returns being similar to other high end phones and expected. The fact they haven't posted some real numbers to counter makes me believe there is some truth to the report.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
You should see the Crackberries. They are flipping out on this news, vehemently denying that this report could be accurate at all. The CEO made a classic corporate spin post about the rate of returns being similar to other high end phones and expected. The fact they haven't posted some real numbers to counter makes me believe there is some truth to the report.

The fact is that the other side didn't post any real numbers either.

At the very least, Munster would have said that he had his assistants phoned up x number of stores --- and Munster tells you that exact number of what x is.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't think we can brag. The L920 also experienced high return rates.

maybe so, but the return rate was never higher than the amount that are selling ......

The corporate at&t store by my house has sold 1 thus far........ That's no good.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
maybe so, but the return rate was never higher than the amount that are selling ......

The corporate at&t store by my house has sold 1 thus far........ That's no good.

Complete BS rumors. If they say that people returned their Z10 because they found that the app store is lacking --- I might buy that argument. But they are saying that they are returning because the UI is not intuitive, that I don't buy --- unless Americans are vastly more stupid than the rest of the world.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that the return rate can't be higher than the amount they are selling. That makes zero sense. Can't sell ten and take back eleven.

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Fiddling with it @ the local phone store, seemed awkward non intuitive. Sales guy said he did not sell too many, and those who did return chose android or ios devices. US is a strange homogenized market..

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Complete BS rumors. If they say that people returned their Z10 because they found that the app store is lacking --- I might buy that argument. But they are saying that they are returning because the UI is not intuitive, that I don't buy --- unless Americans are vastly more stupid than the rest of the world.
Actually, there's a meme centered around how dumb Americans are perceived as.
And, that UI is not as intuitive as the MeeGo or WP UI, but is still easy enough to understand. It's a lot like Win8 in terms of learning curve.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
i think they meant that the returns are coming in at a faster rate than the rate at which they are selling of new z10s >.<

You're probably right, but that's not how he worded it. I did chuckle when I read it, 'cause it sounded totally backwards to me too, but I came to the same conclusion afterwards...lol

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that the return rate can't be higher than the amount they are selling. That makes zero sense. Can't sell ten and take back eleven.

Some people had to return the Pre's 8 or 9 times to get one functioning properly.

A bad UI and hardware problems could easily lead to more returns than sales

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Don't think we can brag. The L920 also experienced high return rates.

No, you're right. MS has their own share of woes this year too. Looks like another banner year for Apple and The Goog though.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The 920 may not have sold like hotcakes compared to the iphones and galaxys of this world, but even it had more positive buzz around it compared to the Z10 when it was finally released.

There are a lot of indications that the BB10 launch in the US has been a flop and thinking the Q10 will turn things around is laughable at this point.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There have been a lot of returns over the lack of Outlook sync. Business people who are not rolling BES really needed that. There is a thread about it that is massive. I have been waiting to get the new Z10 (my Torch 9810 holds my Exchange account using BES) and even I can't get the Z10 until the Link Software offers SMIME cert sync like Bkackberry's older Desktop Software. Fortunately I checked first otherwise I would be one of the returns. Blackberry is going to deliver the Outlook sync - they are working on it now. I haven't read anywhere if they will include the SMIME cert sync but am hoping they do. There is a place for Blackberry and the BES as there is nothing out there like it. I am hoping they survive. That being said - you'd have to pry my Nokia Lumia 920 out of my cold dead hands ; )

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The thing about the UI is that it is complex. It would be easy for someone like me to use, as is Android, but I won't go BB for the same reason I won't go Android...to complex to do a lot of simple things. I like my phone to be something I can easily get to everything I need and not think about it. I don't want to remember the three different forms of menus on BB and all the various gestures. webOS used just a couple key gestures. WP8 just requires a couple of things to do everything. Same with iOS.

In the end, I don't think BB is going to make much of a comeback due to all the negative publicity and the fact that the hub alone is simple not enough to overlook other aspects of the OS that I think most regular consumers will be turned off by.

And I honestly don't understand why so many people have difficulty with the following concept:
Week 1: 100 sales 5 returns
Week 2: 50 sales 15 returns
Week 3: 25 sales 26 returns --> returns are now higher than sales

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte