08-23-2014 05:00 PM
164 12345 ...
tools
    I'm not gonna attack OP, he raises a lot of real issues I've also got with WP. I'm also considering Android for my next move, while I do like a lot about WP, so many things are inconsistent (notifications don't always work, battery is all over the place, camera app is slow, app gap is annoying).
    08-18-2014 07:29 PM
    I'm not gonna attack OP, he raises a lot of real issues I've also got with WP. I'm also considering Android for my next move, while I do like a lot about WP, so many things are inconsistent (notifications don't always work, battery is all over the place, camera app is slow, app gap is annoying).
    You really don't know how much the app gap matters until you finally venture back into Android or iOS.

And the app gap isn't the only problem, the quality of apps is as well.

Android and iOS get pretty unique apps based on their capabilities but there is barely anything that WP does that Android and iOS can't.

Just as an example I downloaded two very amazing apps for my Nexus 5 just recently.

1408405861597.jpg

The first app Pocketlock uses the gravity sensor and proximity sensor to automatically lock and unlock your device without you using the power button, it works pretty well and doesn't kill the battery.

1408405870998.jpg

The second app which I have really fell in love with is Snapshot, the concept is simple yet makes my life so much easier.

This app makes opening the camera from sleep a breeze. Basically all I have to do is rotate my phone in landscape and press the power button and my camera opens up in a second or two.

Android has thousands of quality apps and sees applications with so much innovation and functionality that you simply won't find anywhere else.
    Visa Declined, D M C and broar94 like this.
    08-18-2014 07:55 PM
    Have you guys enabled Google Now to work from any screen? Still Don't Have Ok Google Everywhere? Try This Simple Trick
    tgp likes this.
    08-18-2014 08:12 PM
    Have you guys enabled Google Now to work from any screen? Still Don't Have Ok Google Everywhere? Try This Simple Trick
    I used it for a decent amount of time but since my accent is closer to the British I use English(UK) and English(UK) doesn't allow me to turn Google Now on every screen.

I'm going to move back to English(US) for extended Google Now functionality when Android L arrives because then I'll even be able to use it when the phone is locked! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

ATM when I need to go to Google Now from an app I just swipe up from my home button and it takes me there. It's a bit slower and older but works pretty well.
    08-18-2014 08:21 PM
    My 920 has a good run except for the battery. But there are still too many issues lying after a year on WP. My next phone is probably the note 4 or the iphone phablet with the rumor 2915mah battery.
    08-18-2014 08:32 PM
    My 920 has a good run except for the battery. But there are still too many issues lying after a year on WP. My next phone is probably the note 4 or the iphone phablet with the rumor 2915mah battery.
    I am an Android user, I would fully recommend not going for Note 4. Samsung's UI gets laggy no matter how powerful the specifications. It's going to make you think Android is bad.
    08-18-2014 08:38 PM
    Do you actually like the cursor on WP? I could rarely hit the little circle to move it. 9 times out of 10 I couldn't hit it precisely enough. Android is much better in this regard. Try it and see.
    It was simple in 8.0, but since MS changed the behavior of the cursor, it actually is harder to highlight and move about. This, one point I agree with. *sigh
    08-18-2014 08:48 PM
    My gf just downloaded an app on her galaxy 5 that did nothing but slow everything down. It disabled other apps. A virus disguised as an app. That's one of my biggest issues with Android. Her firmware update gave her phone all sorts of bugs. Battery lag and slow running apps. I was trying to navigate around to help since I'm the computer head of the relationship and have owned an Android when Smartphone's first came out but it was so touch intensive. I was completely lost looking for simple info. The notification center had too much stuff and all I could think about was where is data sense, storage sense, common sense (had to) Look, battery lag effects all phones and ecosystems. I'll take a better camera with a slower shutter speed any day. To each their own. I love the smoothness, optically stimulating start screen, and simplicity. I can live with going to the website of my banking institution or not having the trendiest game. I cant blame anyone for choosing a certain OS.
    08-18-2014 09:22 PM
    Give it some time and you'll get bored with it too. The same way I am bored with my 1520 now after a month but I still don't wanna go back to my HTC One X android phone because the screen is dwarfed by the 1520. You are just excited because it's new.

Sent from my
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    using Tapatalk
    08-18-2014 09:31 PM
    My gf just downloaded an app on her galaxy 5 that did nothing but slow everything down. It disabled other apps.
    I would ask you what the name of the app was, but I don't think you'll be able to tell me. She didn't get it from the Play Store, she would have had to install it from an unknown source, and disabled the protection on her phone.

Okay, I'll go ahead and ask.. What was the name of the app?
    08-18-2014 09:43 PM
    Give it some time and you'll get bored with it too. The same way I am bored with my 1520 now after a month but I still don't wanna go back to my HTC One X android phone because the screen is dwarfed by the 1520. You are just excited because it's new.

Sent from my
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    using Tapatalk
    This is exactly why I use multiple phones in rotation. It never gets old for me.
    08-18-2014 09:45 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. I always take parting gift reviews with a grain of salt--especially when the reviewer says everything about the new phone is awesome and everything about the old phone sucks. Nevertheless, it's always good to read opinions of those who aren't just fanboys.
    08-18-2014 10:07 PM
    I have no idea what it was. It was a game I believe but I'm not sure what was responsible for what. She got an automatic update too and her phone just started acting up. Text didn't work. Had to uninstall the update. I consider myself fortunate since I've never experienced any issues with any of my WP devices. All I know is malware has always been a looming concern with Android.
    08-18-2014 10:08 PM
    I am an Android user, I would fully recommend not going for Note 4. Samsung's UI gets laggy no matter how powerful the specifications. It's going to make you think Android is bad.
    Well I'm aware of that, but there will always be a con for every device out there.
    Like HTC Ultra pixel, ugly back plate of lg g2 and g3, sony ui is too classic, nexus device sub par build quality based on my nexus 2012.

If nexus 6 will have 3000mah and micro sd I might consider it.

Im not new to android, I just dont like google way pushing me around to use their services like youtube, if i delete my google + I account i cant comment to youtube with my user account.
    08-18-2014 10:21 PM
    I kept my 1520 AND bought a N5, so yeah....
    sent using tapatalk app
    08-18-2014 10:26 PM
    Thanks OP for this thread. I will soon be in the same situation and im leaning towards Android for the same reasons.
    About to head to japan (a country i intend to visit frequently) and the lack of apps/maps is really annoying.

I'm not an 'angrybirds/Wordswithfriends apps' person so I don't care for those. But other things like the lack of fitness band apps etc really annoy me.

Finally, there are alot of people who talk very highly of WP8, and that's cool. But i often notice they're actually just praising Nokias hardware - which is honestly the only reason I made the jump in the first place. How many people would be on WP8 if it wasn't for Nokias hardware?

Having gone from iphone>android>wp8, I couldn't care less where I go next; although its unlikely to be apple unless the ip6 is something special!
    Qi and an amazing lowlight/OIS camera are my must haves.
    08-18-2014 10:53 PM
    Arguably better browser experience as for me background audio is important and having apps like chrome to phone/phone to chrome is a great feature. Also I've had issues with favorites not syncing.

Music player doesn't open to a black screen 50% of the time like Xbox Music still does for me. They let you upload 20,000 of your own songs to their servers so that you can listen to them anywhere in the world. For free. And for the same price as Xbox Music you get access to arguably the same quality music library with basically the same feature set as Xbox Music.

I'll see you on a Nexus 6 when they come out. Can't wait to retire my L1020 to my travel phone (great pictures and offline maps)
    08-18-2014 11:07 PM
    Wait... you're worried about not being able to comment to YouTube and you don't like Google because they try to get you to use YouTube? Whoa.
    08-18-2014 11:10 PM
    I really use my 1520 heavily...playing music, occasionally playing games, and watching YouTube videos everyday at work...use waze to and from work and can go all night without a charge...my 1520 occasionally has a hiccup or two with live lock screen but everything is still buttery smooth for me...I like the direction WP is taking just wish they soul hurt up and get there...I've said before that parts of WP look like they never saw a designer but I think they will fix that with threshold...hopefully
    08-18-2014 11:18 PM
    Wait... you're worried about not being able to comment to YouTube and you don't like Google because they try to get you to use YouTube? Whoa.
    Nope maybe im not clear, if I delete my Google + account I wont be able to comment to youtube. There are 2 youtube accounts on my gmail the one connected to google +, and the other one with the user name when google + is not yet born.
    08-18-2014 11:32 PM
    Nope maybe im not clear, if I delete my Google + account I wont be able to comment to youtube. There are 2 youtube accounts on my gmail the one connected to google +, and the other one with the user name when google + is not yet born.
    Update :-
    You don't need Google plus a/c to comment on YouTube anymore.
    jlp34876 likes this.
    08-18-2014 11:53 PM
    Wow! what a thread and what an amazing participation.

I too am an evangelist of Lumias in my circle, and I too can take some small credit for some Lumia sales. The only device which has battery issues is 820 and it can be followed up by 920. However, the reason is the small battery size and capacity of these phones. 625, 1320 and 1520 have a much better battery life than most android phones, and I don't have any experience of 930.

As a critisism I accept that windows platform lags the number and functionality of many iOS or Android Apps, and yes, there are a few annoying things here and there. But then there are a few annoying things here and there in android and iOS too. It is a matter of personal choice. On its part MSFT needs to create phones that are cheaper than similarly priced android phones to be successful. No user would be convinced that 630 is actually faster than android phones having 1GB RAM. MSFT cannot afford to ignore grudges of people like OP
    08-19-2014 03:23 AM
    I switched back to a Nexus 5 recently too, and there's just no comparison. (coming from a 1020 I used for holidays.). The camera is better, and that is it, apart from double tap to unlock. Here Maps are a disaster compared to Symbian, no choice of routes, voice coming and going, often (as mentioned several times in this thread) an inaccurate GPS position. Apps like Viber taking 30 seconds to open then hanging etc. I just had enough.

Also, whether you like it or not, a dedicated YouTube client that can push videos to my HDTV via DNLA with a touch, Netflix that does the same, Google Keep etc. So many apps and services, along with enhanced functionality that you just feel you're missing out with WP. Even my main reason for staying with it, Here/Ovi Maps has become a bit of a joke.

Would never go back to it. It's just not up to scratch, and isn't going to be anytime soon. I flashed Android L on my Nexus, and if you think WP8.1 is behind now, or even close to KitKat, then wait until you see it.
    08-19-2014 03:48 AM
    After 3 months with Nokia Lumia 925 i decided to sell it and to change the OS. I love the design and look of Nokia phones but WP is unbaked.
    WP 8: no internet sharing, problems with importing Google contacts (because contacts have images), problems if the contact has more than 2-3 emails. Windows native email client: no option to use all 4 email accounts that I have integrated in Gmail- this is still present in WP 8.1, you need to add them separately, folders view is strange, you need to sync them manually, it is very basic (long live MetroMail), and I don't ask here for gmail app. Calendar is showing events only for next 3 months, no past events. No forward button in Explorer, tabs are hidden, it's way behind the competition. No official apps (banks, shops...etc.). Menu- system fonts are too big, if some apps has long name the name goes out of the screen. And the worst part is that apps made by Microsoft are better on Android and iOS. And there is a lot more.
    WP platform is not a newborn it's more than 4 years old and they are still playing like the are preschool.

I hope that MS will improve these things in the future.

For now, I'm out, back to iOS and Android.
    Last edited by Deomin; 08-19-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    08-19-2014 05:07 AM
    It's funny... My 930's battery life is excellent! My Iphone 5s battery life was terrible, needed to charge it almost 2 times a day! For me the 930 is everything i need in a Phone, great camera, sharp display, good battery life, beautiful design, and wp has all apps i need, i only have problems with the mobile internet connection but i will send it tomorrow and hope it will be solved :)
    JamesPTao likes this.
    08-19-2014 05:46 AM
164 12345 ...