Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Give it some time and you'll get bored with it too. The same way I am bored with my 1520 now after a month but I still don't wanna go back to my HTC One X android phone because the screen is dwarfed by the 1520. You are just excited because it's new.

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I use multiple phones in rotation. It never gets old for me.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Different strokes for different folks. I always take parting gift reviews with a grain of salt--especially when the reviewer says everything about the new phone is awesome and everything about the old phone sucks. Nevertheless, it's always good to read opinions of those who aren't just fanboys.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what it was. It was a game I believe but I'm not sure what was responsible for what. She got an automatic update too and her phone just started acting up. Text didn't work. Had to uninstall the update. I consider myself fortunate since I've never experienced any issues with any of my WP devices. All I know is malware has always been a looming concern with Android.

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am an Android user, I would fully recommend not going for Note 4. Samsung's UI gets laggy no matter how powerful the specifications. It's going to make you think Android is bad.

Well I'm aware of that, but there will always be a con for every device out there.
Like HTC Ultra pixel, ugly back plate of lg g2 and g3, sony ui is too classic, nexus device sub par build quality based on my nexus 2012.

If nexus 6 will have 3000mah and micro sd I might consider it.

Im not new to android, I just dont like google way pushing me around to use their services like youtube, if i delete my google + I account i cant comment to youtube with my user account.

Toshin

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks OP for this thread. I will soon be in the same situation and im leaning towards Android for the same reasons.
About to head to japan (a country i intend to visit frequently) and the lack of apps/maps is really annoying.

I'm not an 'angrybirds/Wordswithfriends apps' person so I don't care for those. But other things like the lack of fitness band apps etc really annoy me.

Finally, there are alot of people who talk very highly of WP8, and that's cool. But i often notice they're actually just praising Nokias hardware - which is honestly the only reason I made the jump in the first place. How many people would be on WP8 if it wasn't for Nokias hardware?

Having gone from iphone>android>wp8, I couldn't care less where I go next; although its unlikely to be apple unless the ip6 is something special!
Qi and an amazing lowlight/OIS camera are my must haves.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Arguably better browser experience as for me background audio is important and having apps like chrome to phone/phone to chrome is a great feature. Also I've had issues with favorites not syncing.

Music player doesn't open to a black screen 50% of the time like Xbox Music still does for me. They let you upload 20,000 of your own songs to their servers so that you can listen to them anywhere in the world. For free. And for the same price as Xbox Music you get access to arguably the same quality music library with basically the same feature set as Xbox Music.

I'll see you on a Nexus 6 when they come out. Can't wait to retire my L1020 to my travel phone (great pictures and offline maps)

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I really use my 1520 heavily...playing music, occasionally playing games, and watching YouTube videos everyday at work...use waze to and from work and can go all night without a charge...my 1520 occasionally has a hiccup or two with live lock screen but everything is still buttery smooth for me...I like the direction WP is taking just wish they soul hurt up and get there...I've said before that parts of WP look like they never saw a designer but I think they will fix that with threshold...hopefully

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Wait... you're worried about not being able to comment to YouTube and you don't like Google because they try to get you to use YouTube? Whoa.

Nope maybe im not clear, if I delete my Google + account I wont be able to comment to youtube. There are 2 youtube accounts on my gmail the one connected to google +, and the other one with the user name when google + is not yet born.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Nope maybe im not clear, if I delete my Google + account I wont be able to comment to youtube. There are 2 youtube accounts on my gmail the one connected to google +, and the other one with the user name when google + is not yet born.

Update :-
You don't need Google plus a/c to comment on YouTube anymore.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow! what a thread and what an amazing participation.

I too am an evangelist of Lumias in my circle, and I too can take some small credit for some Lumia sales. The only device which has battery issues is 820 and it can be followed up by 920. However, the reason is the small battery size and capacity of these phones. 625, 1320 and 1520 have a much better battery life than most android phones, and I don't have any experience of 930.

As a critisism I accept that windows platform lags the number and functionality of many iOS or Android Apps, and yes, there are a few annoying things here and there. But then there are a few annoying things here and there in android and iOS too. It is a matter of personal choice. On its part MSFT needs to create phones that are cheaper than similarly priced android phones to be successful. No user would be convinced that 630 is actually faster than android phones having 1GB RAM. MSFT cannot afford to ignore grudges of people like OP

scaramanga89

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I switched back to a Nexus 5 recently too, and there's just no comparison. (coming from a 1020 I used for holidays.). The camera is better, and that is it, apart from double tap to unlock. Here Maps are a disaster compared to Symbian, no choice of routes, voice coming and going, often (as mentioned several times in this thread) an inaccurate GPS position. Apps like Viber taking 30 seconds to open then hanging etc. I just had enough.

Also, whether you like it or not, a dedicated YouTube client that can push videos to my HDTV via DNLA with a touch, Netflix that does the same, Google Keep etc. So many apps and services, along with enhanced functionality that you just feel you're missing out with WP. Even my main reason for staying with it, Here/Ovi Maps has become a bit of a joke.

Would never go back to it. It's just not up to scratch, and isn't going to be anytime soon. I flashed Android L on my Nexus, and if you think WP8.1 is behind now, or even close to KitKat, then wait until you see it.

Deomin

May 30, 2014
Visit site
After 3 months with Nokia Lumia 925 i decided to sell it and to change the OS. I love the design and look of Nokia phones but WP is unbaked.
WP 8: no internet sharing, problems with importing Google contacts (because contacts have images), problems if the contact has more than 2-3 emails. Windows native email client: no option to use all 4 email accounts that I have integrated in Gmail- this is still present in WP 8.1, you need to add them separately, folders view is strange, you need to sync them manually, it is very basic (long live MetroMail), and I don't ask here for gmail app. Calendar is showing events only for next 3 months, no past events. No forward button in Explorer, tabs are hidden, it's way behind the competition. No official apps (banks, shops...etc.). Menu- system fonts are too big, if some apps has long name the name goes out of the screen. And the worst part is that apps made by Microsoft are better on Android and iOS. And there is a lot more.
WP platform is not a newborn it's more than 4 years old and they are still playing like the are preschool.

I hope that MS will improve these things in the future.

For now, I'm out, back to iOS and Android.

Last edited:

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It's funny... My 930's battery life is excellent! My Iphone 5s battery life was terrible, needed to charge it almost 2 times a day! For me the 930 is everything i need in a Phone, great camera, sharp display, good battery life, beautiful design, and wp has all apps i need, i only have problems with the mobile internet connection but i will send it tomorrow and hope it will be solved :)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
After 3 months with Nokia Lumia 925...
...WP 8: no internet sharing,

There is internet sharing in WP8, but it very cunningly hidden: Go into Settings and it is in Internet Sharing, between email+accounts and lock screen.

I can see how you missed it, though. ;-P

Calendar is showing events only for next 3 months, no past events.
I have a series recurring appointments set up to the end of 2014 and the calendar shows them. Whatsmore, past appointments go back three months - I use them to check my wage slip.

No forward button in Explorer, tabs are hidden, it's way behind the competition
To go forward in internet explorer, just swipe to the left. Tabs are hidden but easily accessible, leaving more space for what you're actually looking at. I particularly love the reading mode, which clears away all the ads and crap, allowing me to actually read the content. Favourites also sync with Internet Explorer on my PC.

No official apps (banks, shops...etc.).
This link shows the initial results of when you search for banking in the Windows Phone Store. It shows official apps for: Halifax, RBS, Nat West, Barclays, Bank of Scotland, Lloyds, First Direct and TSB.

Menu- system fonts are too big, if some apps has long name the name goes out of the screen.
The size of type is adjustable in settings under Ease of Access.

Okay Androids, why do you feel you have to lie? Do you really think that helps your case?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My gf just downloaded an app on her galaxy 5 that did nothing but slow everything down. It disabled other apps. A virus disguised as an app. That's one of my biggest issues with Android. Her firmware update gave her phone all sorts of bugs. Battery lag and slow running apps. I was trying to navigate around to help since I'm the computer head of the relationship and have owned an Android when Smartphone's first came out but it was so touch intensive. I was completely lost looking for simple info. The notification center had too much stuff and all I could think about was where is data sense, storage sense, common sense (had to) Look, battery lag effects all phones and ecosystems. I'll take a better camera with a slower shutter speed any day. To each their own. I love the smoothness, optically stimulating start screen, and simplicity. I can live with going to the website of my banking institution or not having the trendiest game. I cant blame anyone for choosing a certain OS.

First of all I would like the name of the app your girlfriend downloaded and was it even from the Google Play Store? If not then you can't blame Android. If yes, report it. Apps with viruses have shown up on both Android and iOS, people who make viruses target OSes that are the most popular.

If Windows Phone gets some attention in the world, yes you will see apps with viruses on it too. But if you have common sense you'll not run into apps with malware.

The versatility of Android is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, if you don't understand how to use a smartphone just pin a few apps on the homescreen and be done with it.

If a firmware update messed up her phone, wouldn't everyone with a S5 be complaining about it? Firmware update had nothing to do with this.

Android has had Data Sense and Storage Sense almost two years before Windows Phone and everyone would agree that the settings app is best arranged on Android, not Windows Phone.

The Data Sense and Storage Sense are right there when you open up the settings app, how was it so hard for you to find it?

1408448025937.jpg
1408448037694.jpg
1408448048319.jpg
1408448058173.jpg

I've also repeatedly explained that not having apps is just half the problem on Windows Phone, even the apps that you guys do have lag behind Android and iOS. For example if you compare graphics in games like Asphalt 8 between Android and Windows Phone, you'll think the Windows Phone version is a PS2 game.

I hope I've cleared up all your misconceptions about Android.

Give it some time and you'll get bored with it too. The same way I am bored with my 1520 now after a month but I still don't wanna go back to my HTC One X android phone because the screen is dwarfed by the 1520. You are just excited because it's new.

Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

Haha that's the thing you don't understand, I learn something new about Android everyday and even after having used it for over 2 years it's not boring, especially due to the customization.

Plus Windows Phone has looked pretty much the same since 2010, if people haven't got tired of that how would you get tired of Android?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
First of all I would like the name of the app your girlfriend downloaded and was it even from the Google Play Store? If not then you can't blame Android. If yes, report it. Apps with viruses have shown up on both Android and iOS, people who make viruses target OSes that are the most popular.

If Windows Phone gets some attention in the world, yes you will see apps with viruses on it too. But if you have common sense you'll not run into apps with malware.

The versatility of Android is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, if you don't understand how to use a smartphone just pin a few apps on the homescreen and be done with it.

If a firmware update messed up her phone, wouldn't everyone with a S5 be complaining about it? Firmware update had nothing to do with this.

Android has had Data Sense and Storage Sense almost two years before Windows Phone and everyone would agree that the settings app is best arranged on Android, not Windows Phone.

The Data Sense and Storage Sense are right there when you open up the settings app, how was it so hard for you to find it?

View attachment 77272
View attachment 77273
View attachment 77274
View attachment 77275

I've also repeatedly explained that not having apps is just half the problem on Windows Phone, even the apps that you guys do have lag behind Android and iOS. For example if you compare graphics in games like Asphalt 8 between Android and Windows Phone, you'll think the Windows Phone version is a PS2 game.

I hope I've cleared up all your misconceptions about Android.

Haha that's the thing you don't understand, I learn something new about Android everyday and even after having used it for over 2 years it's not boring, especially due to the customization.

Plus Windows Phone has looked pretty much the same since 2010, if people haven't got tired of that how would you get tired of Android?
Apparently you haven't read any of the numerous articles on Google's play store about it being plagued with apps having malware. Yes it is a problem, yes being popular will draw more malware writers, and yes it is targeted as well because they are lax in security and more open as an os for malware issues.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I went the other way a few weeks back...

Started out with Android about 4 years ago with a Galaxy S2. Amazing. A year later I got the Nexus 4, last year I got the Xperia Z1 and a Nexus 5.

Sold the S2 & Z1 early this year, the S2 was old but took great pictures, and the Z1 had a bad TFT panel. I returned the Nexus 5. Holding the N4 and N5 and the N5 feels so cheap, (it is?), and it looks like a Fisher Price kids toy in comparison to the Nexus 4. So I kept the Nexus 4, great phone and the best looking Nexus phone to date.

2013-11-07 22.03.15.jpg

Picked up a Lumia 520 few weeks back... and was blown away! So I ordered the Lumia 930 the next day and shut down the Nexus 4 for good. It'll be on a popular auction site in a few days. It was good knowing Android. But I finally have phones I can rely on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss