The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-08-2018 05:08 PM
70 123
tools
    I would be satisfied with Android if only Microsoft and Google could play nice and make Cortana work like it does on the Windows Phone. Here's a screenshot of my use of Squarehome2 on my Sony.
    screenshot_20170913-124042.jpg
    Last edited by Wellsdesigned; 09-13-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Remove e-mail shot
    09-13-2017 02:45 PM
    Here is the start screen on my new Galaxy Note 4. So far, I am really enjoying my new phone.

Attachment 137401
    I'm liking my Galaxy S8, the display is outrageously beautiful and the phone functions very well.
    Keith White Jr likes this.
    09-13-2017 02:51 PM
    I'm liking my Galaxy S8, the display is outrageously beautiful and the phone functions very well.
    I believe it! The Note 4 isn't a new phone by any stretch of the imagination, but the screen on it is gorgeous! Plus it has 3 GB of ram and a Snapdragon 805, so it has been running very well so far. I have no complaints yet.
    09-14-2017 07:13 AM
    Hello all, could anyone tell me what's the best launcher for LIVE tiles that are really live, like the news app showing headlines photos, the weather app showing current temperatures over a rain pic, etc? Thanks
    10-09-2017 10:30 AM
    Hello all, could anyone tell me what's the best launcher for LIVE tiles that are really live, like the news app showing headlines photos, the weather app showing current temperatures over a rain pic, etc? Thanks

That's not really a function of the launcher. You have to get a version of each app with a widget that does what you want. Sadly, most of them are pretty lame compared to live tiles.
    10-09-2017 02:37 PM
    I wouldn't get hung up on the lack of live tiles. I thought I would miss it but after a year I really don't miss it at all.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    10-09-2017 10:07 PM
    I think trying to emulate WM on an Android phone will become tiresome.
    Tried it myself and it just wasn't a pure experience so I quit trying and went back to Nova with the customization's I liked.

On my Android phone I keep things simple with 2 small widgets and no multiple screens with minimal icons on-screen.
    The tile launchers available for Android just make things more difficult in my opinion.

Android is Android...WP/WM is something else and totally different.
    Wolfjt, libra89 and neo158 like this.
    10-10-2017 12:44 AM
    Thanks for the heads up on the things you've done to make your S8 more Windows Phone like...

One question - where did you find the Lumia sounds? I'm looking for those and cannot find them anywhere...
    12-05-2017 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on the things you've done to make your S8 more Windows Phone like...

One question - where did you find the Lumia sounds? I'm looking for those and cannot find them anywhere...
    Head to sound cloud and search for Microsoft middle east, there you'll find most Nokia/Lumia tunes

*i made that account
    ncxcstud and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    12-06-2017 02:36 AM
    What weather app are you using to have live tile support?
    I'm using a widget provided by Weather Underground and have the background set to 'transparent'.
    12-06-2017 10:19 AM

Honestly I do not recall; I think I just ended up typing the right phrase in Bing and found a collection of Lumia sound files that all work great.
    12-06-2017 10:23 AM
    @Bleser: Thanks muchly. My wife shifted from W10M and was a bit lost. After following your recommendations, all is well again.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    01-11-2018 12:25 AM
    Finally launcher 10 helps me to switch from my 950. This one is my pixel 2 screen
    02-12-2018 01:26 PM
    Hello group,

I’m new to this thread – and found it in a search for info to help me with decision to move from current Windows phone 8.1 (Nokia Lumia 1020) to any Android phone.

The initial July 20, 2017 post by bleser echoed much of my same interests in what I would like to have going forward, as well as my laments for leaving Windows.

My main use of the phone is business related. I use it for phone calls and for Outlook – emails, calendar and contacts. I don’t use it for games. I don’t use Cortana but could be persuaded. I do use the phone for texts, OneDrive and OneNote. I have Office 365 for Business.

In fact, bleser’s screen shot of his/her phone is incredibly similar to my current WP 8.1 set up – and I am so happy to see that the Android world will permit a similar set up.

Currently, am shopping for type/model of Android phone that will let me set up the phone with the apps suggested by bleser: the SquareHome 2 launcher, the Whicons and NineMail (unless there have been some changes since that July 2017 post with similar/better/stronger apps than any of those three).

The other huge factor in my phone selection is call quality – a factor that frankly I need more than my want of having the Android phone look like my WP 8.1.

Price? $300-$500? But would consider paying more if call quality is tied to higher price.

I’ve rambled enough. Glad to have found this thread. Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mburke
    03-24-2018 11:49 AM
    I think trying to emulate WM on an Android phone will become tiresome.
    Tried it myself and it just wasn't a pure experience so I quit trying and went back to Nova with the customization's I liked.

On my Android phone I keep things simple with 2 small widgets and no multiple screens with minimal icons on-screen.
    The tile launchers available for Android just make things more difficult in my opinion.

Android is Android...WP/WM is something else and totally different.
    That's exactly how I feel, trying to make Android look and behave like Windows will just leave you disappointed.
    03-26-2018 04:59 AM
    Hello group,

I’m new to this thread – and found it in a search for info to help me with decision to move from current Windows phone 8.1 (Nokia Lumia 1020) to any Android phone.

The initial July 20, 2017 post by bleser echoed much of my same interests in what I would like to have going forward, as well as my laments for leaving Windows.

My main use of the phone is business related. I use it for phone calls and for Outlook – emails, calendar and contacts. I don’t use it for games. I don’t use Cortana but could be persuaded. I do use the phone for texts, OneDrive and OneNote. I have Office 365 for Business.

In fact, bleser’s screen shot of his/her phone is incredibly similar to my current WP 8.1 set up – and I am so happy to see that the Android world will permit a similar set up.

Currently, am shopping for type/model of Android phone that will let me set up the phone with the apps suggested by bleser: the SquareHome 2 launcher, the Whicons and NineMail (unless there have been some changes since that July 2017 post with similar/better/stronger apps than any of those three).

The other huge factor in my phone selection is call quality – a factor that frankly I need more than my want of having the Android phone look like my WP 8.1.

Price? $300-$500? But would consider paying more if call quality is tied to higher price.

I’ve rambled enough. Glad to have found this thread. Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mburke
    I can only really comment on what I use but a phone with stock Android or as close to it might be best, I use a Polished Blue Nokia 8 as it is as close to stock Android as you can get without paying through the nose for a Pixel. An unlocked Nokia 8 will set you back about $450, as I said though I can only comment on what I use.
    03-26-2018 05:04 AM
    Second on Nokia 8.
    03-26-2018 08:10 AM
    I'm using a Nokia 6, which I got on Amazon for $150 and am loving it! If I use a Windows launcher, no one has any idea that I'm on Android lol. More than once someone has looked at my home screen and said "They made Super Mario Run on Windows?" or "A new Nokia Windows Phone? I thought those were history!"

I just laugh and continue on.
    04-05-2018 04:19 PM
    I can only really comment on what I use but a phone with stock Android or as close to it might be best, I use a Polished Blue Nokia 8 as it is as close to stock Android as you can get without paying through the nose for a Pixel. An unlocked Nokia 8 will set you back about $450, as I said though I can only comment on what I use.
    I recently made the switch from W10M to Android. I was looking to get a Nokia 8 but got a Xiaomi A1 instead. It's a good phone for the price and I especially like no bloat as well. It has all my W10M apps and I use MS Launcher too. I couldn't get on with Launcher10. Sure, it can do the live tiles and stuff but I just didn't like the overall look and feel. So far, moving to Android has been far painless than when I tried it on a Note 4, way back when.
    05-08-2018 04:25 AM
    Evening all,

I'm glad this post has helped some to find a new way to look at Android. Of course you can't beat the original (true WP/W10M), but I'm glad some are satisfied with the 'simulated' version. :)

For me, I'm looking for new hardware; the Sony camera isn't cutting it. The Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco have my eye, and currently I'm leaning towards the 7 Plus (all glass scares me since I don't use cases on my phones). We'll see based on pending reviews of each.

Cheers!
    05-08-2018 05:08 PM
70 123