07-12-2019 12:48 PM
43 12
tools
    So otherwise you're still full Microsoft even on Android? Not necessarily for apps (like Aquamail) but for services?
    No, just Outlook, which I also use for my Gmail account on desktop Windows . I don't use Bing, Edge, OneNote, Microsoft Store at all.
    dlalonde likes this.
    03-21-2019 12:19 PM
    Depends on the platform. As the OP mentioned, MS apps don’t always work as well on other platforms and I go straight to Outlook. Whether it’s Android or iOS, the app blows chunks. I mean, the calendar still doesn’t sync with the default calendar app and that’s just crazy. Nine works fairly well and is as feature-rich as Outlook on Windows but push services have always lagged behind. OneDrive, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are as good as it gets so they’re my main apps regardless of platform.

On Android I use the BlackBerry Hub and the BlackBerry keyboard without hesitation. The Hub allows me to pin separate accounts to my home screen to let me know which account is receiving an email like I did on Windows Mobile. On iOS, the pickins are slim to nonexistent.
    You really can't go wrong with BlackBerry hub. I like it so too but find the UI dated. I used it mostly on a Key2 but now that I'm driving my pixel daily i prefer a more seamless UI experience. I'll probably stick with Outlook for email. But yes...BB Hub is a close second in my book.
    05-02-2019 01:02 PM
    Depends on the platform. As the OP mentioned, MS apps don’t always work as well on other platforms and I go straight to Outlook. Whether it’s Android or iOS, the app blows chunks. I mean, the calendar still doesn’t sync with the default calendar app and that’s just crazy. Nine works fairly well and is as feature-rich as Outlook on Windows but push services have always lagged behind. OneDrive, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are as good as it gets so they’re my main apps regardless of platform.

On Android I use the BlackBerry Hub and the BlackBerry keyboard without hesitation. The Hub allows me to pin separate accounts to my home screen to let me know which account is receiving an email like I did on Windows Mobile. On iOS, the pickins are slim to nonexistent.
    That's pretty much what I'll be doing when I move to android; using BB apps (hub, keyboard) w/ microsoft apps (office, onedrive, cortana), and some open source apps instead of google ones (like for nav, and youtube). Hub was the business on BB10, and I hear the BB keyboard is also dope on android.

Does feel like a shame because I am a heavy windows store user, and never liked google play store apps that much, but with some heavy tweaking I'm sure I'll be able to make it work.

Not exactly sure how to get my windows desktop calendar to sync, I suppose I'll need outlook for that? Or does BB calendar handle outlook calendar stuff? I've gotten pretty used to the windows desktop integration, and want that to remain, because I use my desktop FAR more than my phone.
    05-11-2019 12:51 AM
    I haven't switched yet, because I love my lumia. But, right now I use no google services apart from youtube. Brave for the browser, duckduckgo for the search, outlook for email, onedrive for storage.

Partly because I really don't like googles ethos regarding censorship (It ain't as bad as twitter or facebook, which I also eschew, but it's enough that I'd rather they didn't get a dime). Particularly when it comes to searching political related search terms, the results on google search are very poor/one sided; as a political centrist that's a no from me.

Check it out yourself if you like, pick a politically charged topic, and compare the un-filtered results of duckduckgo with google's sculpted biased results. The difference is night and day.

Youtube simply because nothing else comes close. There's good alternatives to everything else.
    05-11-2019 01:01 AM
    That's pretty much what I'll be doing when I move to android; using BB apps (hub, keyboard) w/ microsoft apps (office, onedrive, cortana), and some open source apps instead of google ones (like for nav, and youtube). Hub was the business on BB10, and I hear the BB keyboard is also dope on android.

Does feel like a shame because I am a heavy windows store user, and never liked google play store apps that much, but with some heavy tweaking I'm sure I'll be able to make it work.

Not exactly sure how to get my windows desktop calendar to sync, I suppose I'll need outlook for that? Or does BB calendar handle outlook calendar stuff? I've gotten pretty used to the windows desktop integration, and want that to remain, because I use my desktop FAR more than my phone.
    The Hub does Outlook just fine. Calendars and contacts sync perfectly and once you integrate your Outlook information you’ll be signed in to OneDrive and whatever Office apps you have (Word, Excel, etc.). It’s the rest of Android I find so irritating with all the repetitive steps involved sometimes. Truth be told, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, iOS handles Microsoft apps better than Android.
    05-11-2019 12:50 PM
    The Hub does Outlook just fine. Calendars and contacts sync perfectly and once you integrate your Outlook information you’ll be signed in to OneDrive and whatever Office apps you have (Word, Excel, etc.). It’s the rest of Android I find so irritating with all the repetitive steps involved sometimes. Truth be told, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, iOS handles Microsoft apps better than Android.
    Beginning to think the same thing. I just switched Android phones and only downloaded Outlook this time. It has improved but the fact that i can't sync the calendar with Google calendar is so annoying. Guess it's back to BlackBerry software or a Key2 altogether.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-11-2019 01:17 PM
    Yeah I have to agree with you on that.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-11-2019 01:49 PM
    Well that's good news. Yeah, android doesn't have a good UI, it's multiple steps for the simplest things, and stuff in a few seperated places. Launchers improve that a bit.

Actually, on that topic, is hub a launcher? Like can you run it, along side microsoft launcher or another launcher (I'm sort of imagining not). Or is the hub, as a launcher pretty good anyway?
    05-12-2019 06:32 AM
    Well that's good news. Yeah, android doesn't have a good UI, it's multiple steps for the simplest things, and stuff in a few seperated places. Launchers improve that a bit.

Actually, on that topic, is hub a launcher? Like can you run it, along side microsoft launcher or another launcher (I'm sort of imagining not). Or is the hub, as a launcher pretty good anyway?
    The Hub is just a unified message center and email client. There is a BlackBerry Launcher but it’s no biggie other than allowing “sparks” for individual email accounts that you pin to your start screen.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-12-2019 11:45 AM
    The Hub is just a unified message center and email client. There is a BlackBerry Launcher but it’s no biggie other than allowing “sparks” for individual email accounts that you pin to your start screen.
    Your can pin those emails without BB Launcher via the Hub.
    05-12-2019 12:25 PM
    Your can pin those emails without BB Launcher via the Hub.
    Sure, but my experience with Sony, Nokia, Samsung and Moto is that all the pinned accounts get a notification dot simultaneously whereas with the BB Launcher only the correct account gets the spark.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-12-2019 01:48 PM
    So is the hub like on BB10 where you swipe right and it's there? Or is that a part of the BB launcher? Or do you have to tap an icon? (My god, I loved the simplicity of BB's UI).
    05-13-2019 10:43 AM
    So is the hub like on BB10 where you swipe right and it's there? Or is that a part of the BB launcher? Or do you have to tap an icon? (My god, I loved the simplicity of BB's UI).
    You really expect something to be simple on Android? No, it’s an icon just like any other. You can pin individual accounts as separate icons though. Only by using the BB launcher will you get independent notifications per account if you have separate icons.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-13-2019 11:41 AM
    You really expect something to be simple on Android? No, it’s an icon just like any other. You can pin individual accounts as separate icons though. Only by using the BB launcher will you get independent notifications per account if you have separate icons.
    Seriously the launcher doesn't give access by swipe? They could easily do that, I've seen other launchers have something on the leftmost page (or rightmost). I'm a bit miffed hearing that. I wanted that whole, 'swipe and all your communication is there' experience. I mean I guess tap is okay but :(
    05-13-2019 02:20 PM
    Seriously the launcher doesn't give access by swipe? They could easily do that, I've seen other launchers have something on the leftmost page (or rightmost). I'm a bit miffed hearing that. I wanted that whole, 'swipe and all your communication is there' experience. I mean I guess tap is okay but :(
    You might be able to but you'd also have to get the productive tab app. But that app is about to drop being supported this month.
    Laura Knotek and Drael646464 like this.
    05-13-2019 04:16 PM
    You might be able to but you'd also have to get the productive tab app. But that app is about to drop being supported this month.
    Hmm, I suppose it'll still be available, but might eventually end up buggy later on. Guess I'll give it a go when I get to that point.
    05-14-2019 03:03 AM
    I've just moved from WP10. I had an hp elite x3. This was very good but as apps I used for a long time started to dissappear. When I lost enpass password app I was losts as I had hundreds of passwords. This was the tipping point for me. As I invested a lot of money in the hp elite x3 with all the continuum parifinalia I was gutted microsoft gave up on phones and I would never go for a high-end mobile again. So I've just got a mid-range Soney Experia 10plus. I've installed all the Microsoft apps, onedrive, office apps, OneNote, outlook etc etc. I must say everything is working fine, syncing photos, files, calender and contacts through outlook. Within a couple of days I'm using all the Microsoft stuff. Now I can use bank apps that weren't available on Windows mobile, and enpass works so much better. All I all I'm happy I've made the move. I use stuff on Google as well but mostly Microsoft as it works well with my surface.
    06-27-2019 03:04 PM
    Ended up just using the double tap gesture via MS launcher for it. Sucks it doesn't support text messages anymore or it'd be perfect. Still improves android as an experience A LOT.
    07-12-2019 12:48 PM
43 12