[Free App] Calculator? for Windows 8 and Windows Phone

richard_walters

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
For example, if you're in Bits mode, you tap on the bit you want to toggle on/off. So if you have 16 bits displayed 0000 0000 0000 0000 and you want to change the 7th bit to a 1, 0000 0000 1000 0000, you would just touch on it, which would update the rest of the bases as well. It's much easier than having to enter the entire binary word every time you want to change it.
I've set the bits to be toggled when you click on them. I really appreciate your feedback with this, the ASCII and Bits modes were lacking somewhat and I think the new functionality is great. I won't be able to submit the update until later in the week as I'm away on holiday at the moment, so if you have any further thoughts before then please let me know. Thanks again!

richard_walters

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review Mjrtoo! I actually wrote a cover letter yesterday for a job application stating that I hoped my app helps people be more productive, so that's good to hear. I've also had a 5 star review in Russia recently which said that they especially like the programmer calculator.

I do plan to update the video, especially now that I've changed the design a bit (my original logo looks horrible!). However, I'll probably wait until there are a few more features to show off first. I'm planning a 2.0 version to include some or all of the following:

• graphical calculator
  • financial calculator
  • statistics calculator
  • matrices calculator
  • support for complex numbers in the scientific calculator
  • date calculator

Of course I'm open to requests for anything else too. At the moment I'm working on a Windows 8 port, which is going well and hopefully I'll be able to finish during the Windows 8 preview. My recent updates have really been to prepare for this port and unify the feel of the two versions. There's one more update for the phone app currently going through certification to fix a critical bug, and that will probably be it until 2.0.

I'm really pleased with how things are going. I'm up to 15,000 downloads and getting pretty excited for Windows 8 + WP8!

Thanks again for the review!

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I really like the new Metro icon for your app. It does however, look more like a Calendar than a calculator, but it's close enough. It's obviously inspired by the new Office Icons, which I also like. Great job!

richard_walters

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say that I really like the new Metro icon for your app. It does however, look more like a Calendar than a calculator, but it's close enough. It's obviously inspired by the new Office Icons, which I also like. Great job!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I'm working on the Windows 8 port and the old logo really didn't work there. I downloaded Office 2013, saw the new logos, and redesigned mine the next day.

PS. I think the calendar logo looks more like a calculator. :p

richard_walters

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 version now available!

Screenshot%201.png

Calculator? app for Windows in the Windows Store

The Windows 8 version of Calculator? is now in the Windows Store!

It's still at an early stage and only features the Basic and Scientific modes, but I'm looking to have everything included by the time Windows 8 hits general release.

I've made a few updates to the phone app to reflect the changes now already in the Windows 8 app. The update (version 1.15) is currently being certified and should be published early next week. The main changes are that I added an extra row of buttons (don't tell Apple!) to the Scientific Calculator as shown in the image above, providing a better balance between ease of access to commonly used functions and large button sizes. I've also removed the +/- buttons from each memory item. Numbers can now be added to or subtracted from (multiple) memory items using the +/- buttons in the app bar. Finally, there are a few minor visual changes, bug fixes and the odd performance improvement.

I also want to say that I've decided to remove the background task for automatically updating the exchange rates and Currency live tile from the free version. This is now only available in the Pro version, and in Windows 8 will be available via the in-app purchase that currently removes the ads. The exchange rates are provided by the excellent service at Open Exchange Rates, an open source venture by Joss Crowcroft. Due to it's popularity he is now charging for the service to help keep it going. Similarly, due to the large number of downloads of Calculator? the background task is making a lot of requests for the exchange rates data, and I can no longer support this with the current monetisation model. This was my own decision in anticipation of increased success with the app in the coming months thanks to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, and not at all forced upon me by Joss. I simply do not want to abuse his service without being able to contribute fairly.

Richard Walters.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

The smart calculator for Windows Phone, and now also Windows 8! Over 25,000 downloads and an average rating of 4.5 stars (150+ reviews). Includes 5 unique calculators: Basic, Scientific, Programmer, Currency Converter, and Unit Converter.

Windows Phone
Calculator? and Calculator? Pro
Windows 8
Calculator?

Features:
  • live tiles for each calculator showing the history or latest exchange rates;
  • over 50 scientific functions;
  • 125 mathematical and physical constants;
  • statistical functions for memory values;
  • over 150 World currencies;
  • over 200 units for conversions across 17 categories;
  • searchable constants, currency, and units lists;
  • customisable tax buttons;
  • customisable button layout;
  • Auto, Fixed point, Scientific, and Engineering display formats with choice of digit grouping;
  • enable or disable operator precedence;
  • copy/paste;
  • support for both light and dark themes, and use of the accent colour;
  • background task to automatically update the exchange rate information and Currency Converter live tile (paid version only);
  • 64, 32, 16 and 8 bit word lengths for the Programmer Calculator, including signed or unsigned integers; and
  • local region support for displaying numbers.

Does either calculator app support RPN?

richard_walters

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does either calculator app support RPN?

Hi Laura. They don't at the moment, but RPN is probably my most asked for feature so I've already decided to add this as a 2.0 update. I have some good ideas for the layout and how to implement the stack, so hopefully I can create quite a nice version. However, it's going to be a few weeks before I can get started on this; I'm finishing my phd thesis at the moment and then I want to get the Windows 8 version up to the same level as the phone version before general release. There's also the Windows Phone 8 SDK coming out soon which I'm eager to play with!

If you have any specific requests for the RPN implementation please voice them in this thread. The feedback will be useful as I haven't got that much experience with RPN calculators.

Richard.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The best example of RPN is the HP-12C.

My one major issue with the HP-12C is that you only see one line of the stack (at least from what I recall). That's why I've always liked the HP-48G. Then again, I'm an engineer, so my uses are probably different than most financial people.

Though frankly, most of the time nowadays I simply use RPN to balance my checkbook, etc. So a basic calculator, with just the major basic functions (numbers, enter, +, -, /, x) with a visible stack of 3 or 4 would be awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigorplux