Well, at least we don't have to worry about iOS 5 making Mango look bad (WWDC).

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Man that was weak. It was one announcement after another of feature after feature already found on Android. The iPad mirroring was cool, but I have to wonder how speedy that can possibly be over wireless.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they've had a look at WP7 notifications...iOS's modal notifications are one of the things i hate most about it.

They've also started integrating the social networking stuff (ala WP7) into the OS itself, breaking from their 'appliance device' paradigm.

undead swagger

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Could Steve and Apple look more like a joke then they did at wwdc, io5 looks to be lackluster and a fail but I bet ifanboys r all over it like its the 2nd coming

SolarPlexus

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed in what Apple brought to the table.
They still win with the hype factor, though. If you read the tech press you would think they re-invented the smartphone again with the "major" improvements in iOS.
However, I WILL enjoy the split keyboard on my iPad.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It was pretty underwhelming, but I thought the iCloud stuff was kind of neat. Hopefully MS is working to turn Skydrive into something like that.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Jeff. Deeper integration with SkyDrive and other Lice services would be great. Personally, I think that mobile device choice is turning into a question of service integration: Google for Android, MobileMe/iCloud for iOs devices, and Live for WP7. I'm not sure where WebOS and BB would fall on this lineup, though.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Your joking?

Not joking at all. Skydrive as it is right now is nice but apart from OneNote it's mostly just online storage that you can easily access on a pc. I personally would love to have automated sync among all devices, and I don't think I'm the only one. Skydrive has a lot of potential but needs some work, and Microsoft basically said so when they referenced the work they're doing for Mango.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not joking at all. Skydrive as it is right now is nice but apart from OneNote it's mostly just online storage that you can easily access on a pc. I personally would love to have automated sync among all devices, and I don't think I'm the only one. Skydrive has a lot of potential but needs some work, and Microsoft basically said so when they referenced the work they're doing for Mango.
Agreed. I have tried hard to like SkyDrive since November but it is klunky to navigate from my PC, and aside from OneNote currently has little/no benefit for my WP. Mango will improve on that with Office integration, but more needs to be done. I resisted Dropbox for months and then finally signed up to use with a couple apps. Just like WP, Dropbox is smooth as silk. It just works. Sure, only 2GB free and maybe less secure but this is the model Microsoft should be following fo SkyDrive. Most devs prefer to design their apps to sync with Dropbox because its easier and SkyDrive has a tendency to change things, breaking the links. That says something right there. So if iCloud does everything it says it will do, Microsoft has some new challenges.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Anytime I take picks, mine go to both skydrive and photobucket because the way I have it setup in which I have photobucket sharing pics with my facebook account. As for shrinked photos, I haven't seen it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Skydrive is just so ugly, and it seems to shrink your pictures, unless I'm doing it wrong.
The video I watched today describing the new photo syncing features in SkyDrive coming with Mango actually states that web-sized versions of photos are uploaded. So that makes it pretty clear.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The pictures taken on the phone with a 5 MP camera are 2592x1944 (at least on my Trophy). The same pictures on my Skydrive camera roll are 717x538. So yeah, it shrinks them quite a bit. If you want true backup of your pictures it seems you have to use the Zune software.

atitdd

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed in what Apple brought to the table.
They still win with the hype factor, though. If you read the tech press you would think they re-invented the smartphone again with the "major" improvements in iOS.
However, I WILL enjoy the split keyboard on my iPad.

Thats cuz everyone rides Apple's apples (pun intended)......One thing i hate is blind consumerism, its what stifles competition and puts the ball in the corporations court. And id say about 50% of repeat apple customers are blind loyalists. Point in case ENGADGET, man were they excited about iOS 5. Apple doesnt even need a marketing division, as the media seems to take care of that........really pisses me off

In contrast, the Mango update is leaps and bounds over iOS5 in terms of feature set and the leap its taking for WP7.

atitdd

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they've had a look at WP7 notifications...iOS's modal notifications are one of the things i hate most about it.

They've also started integrating the social networking stuff (ala WP7) into the OS itself, breaking from their 'appliance device' paradigm.

Ya man i toally agree, my biggest gripe with an iphone is the fact that i have to open an app to do anything......something as simple as checking the weather is cumbersome, and simply annoying.

I think MS hit the nail on the head with what a phone should have baked right into the OS and apple is finally realizing they just got smoked.

crossover, slam dunk, game over!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes