Microsoft ? Thanks for the good parts but it?s time to say goodbye

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Due to a “recent” series of shortcomings (see details below) from Microsoft I have now decided to Switch to iPhone, PS4 and partly to iPad (I’ll keep my PC’s for now).

Switching to iPhone::grin:
At my work I get Androids and iPhones for free. But, being an old Microsoft nerd/fan I’ve BYOD the L925 and L930 (and Surface PRO 1 & 2). I wanted to switch (from Android) already for the L920 but it was just a too heavy phone.
Anyhow, the L925 was a marvelous phone! It had all that I wanted from WP (except wireless charging), had a high quality feel and it was perfectly matched by my Surface Pro (v1).
The L930 was also good but I never felt it had a better quality feel than the L925. The lack of glance was also very disturbing (especially as I did not know about it until I had bought the phone). Anyhow, WP8.1 and Surface Pro (later Pro 2) was still the perfect match. I had a unique set up with full Office, Skydrive/OneDrive, OneNote and Outlook on both my phone, tablet and PCs. The still unique Xbox app was also a nice feature on my Lumias. Being able to run real SAP and get into my company business system from a tablet was really impressive.
The bad part was the app gap but I took the inconvenience of not having my bank app, not being able to order a company taxy, not being able to load a Museum app when visiting, no festival apps, no sport event apps etc etc as the match, WP+Surface+PC was outstanding for the rest.
Anyhow, fast forward to the end of 2015 where WP was dead, W10M a sad joke, the app gap bigger than ever before and all my previously unique apps fully available and sometimes even in better shape on iOS/Android, thus, I took a free iPhone 6s from my company and, wow, it is just perfect!
I have on the iPhone the best of all worlds, superb build quality, all Microsoft apps AND any other app I could ever dream of. I even have a nice, fully working, voice assistant now (Cortana is not available in Sweden which is where I live). I lost wireless charging and Live Tiles but that is not even close to what I have gained.

Choosing iPad instead of a new Surface::straight:
My two Surfaces are probable the Microsoft products I’ve been the most happy with. When I used the Surface Pro with my Lumias it was an outstanding combination that the competition could not come close to (all unique MS apps, a good tablet, a good web browser AND a PC at once).
But, W10 is just not as good for _tablets_ as W8.1 was and I do not trust that Microsoft plan to fix Onedrive, Edge and the general feel when using it as a tablet. W10 is OK when used on a PC/Laptop but I just can’t stand it on a tablet. AND, all unique MS apps are now available on the iPad so the gain of staying limited on a Microsoft tablet is reduced.
I recently bought an Air 2 for the tablet experience. It misses many things that the Surfaces has but as a tablet it is solid and having all the apps from iOS which is something Microsoft can’t compete with.
I do however miss the “Desktop”, the laptop mode and the result is that I do not take the iPad on business trips (just Laptop OR my Surface Pro 2) but as a tablet the iPad is just a so much better package than the Surface.

Ditching the XBOX One for the PS4::devil:
I had previously the 360 and it was a good product (old, no Blu-ray and a bit noisy but still a good product). I did not have Kinect to my 360 so after reading of the cool features of Kinect on the Microsoft page I decided to buy an Xbox One with Kinect and the tuner.
Oh boy, do I regret that decision!! The info on the Swedish Microsoft page was a lie. Kinect does not work in Sweden unless you change region (not only language because that is connected with region) to US/UK. IF I change region/language to US/UK my Store does not work and the Tuner plus OneGuide does not work… I’ve chatted with Xbox support without any solution. I’ve searched the net without any solution. On the Xbox “user voice” there is a two-year-old thread with more than 8000 votes and 2000 posts about the region lock bout not a single official answer from Microsoft!!? Nice work Microsoft!

The Xbox can’t even play music in the background and there is not even a Spotify app available. Microsoft support asked me to use Groove instead which I more or less hate (and I have Spotify since before).
So, the Xbox One was quickly reduced to just a “video game console” (quiet with nice controls to be honest). So, I sold my Xbox with all games, controller, tuner and Kinect losing about 50% of what I paid and bought the PS4. The PS4 is louder but as “just a gaming console” it is more powerful, has at least Spotify AND it has no stupid language/region locks.

Summary:
In a fairly short time I have went from 100% Microsoft products to only using Windows 10 on my PCs and laptop and W8.1 on my Surfaces. The laptop is managed by my work so I can not exchange it and my PCs are used for music production (hobby level) where I’m fully invested in Windows versions of all programs.
The feeling is in general as I guess a prisoner feel when he gets out of jail (or an unhealthy marriage). The “jail” was not protected by iron bars but consisted of lies, shortcomings, restarts and so many stupid decisions. AND, the best thing is that I do now not have to wait for something that should come “soon” (but never comes or is just miserable useless when released).
So Microsoft, I’m done with you, thanks for the good parts of our time. Feels kind of sad but I feel also “free”.:unhappy::grin:
(P.S I’ll keep my Band v2 until it is worn out)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol I always find it sad when people confine themselves to one platform while the world out there has more to offer. Don't worry about the companies killing each other and just enjoy the best of all worlds :D Tech discrimination is now a real thing lol In any case the argument has been made a thousand times; if MS is allowing its core services on other platforms, why should we stick around? Add to this, like you said, that the feel of the apps can be, in most cases, much better than what we have here and you have yourself a winning argument.

Enjoy your freedom and peek in every now and then :D

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Lol I always find it sad when people confine themselves to one platform while the world out there has more to offer. Don't worry about the companies killing each other and just enjoy the best of all worlds :D Tech discrimination is now a real thing lol In any case the argument has been made a thousand times; if MS is allowing its core services on other platforms, why should we stick around? Add to this, like you said, that the feel of the apps can be, in most cases, much better than what we have here and you have yourself a winning argument.

Enjoy your freedom and peek in every now and then :D

Well, I was a “fan” since I was building my first PCs running Dos v 5.
AND, the Surface + WP was really something unique when first launched.
Also the 360 was at least as good as the PS3.
Since then it’s just been downhill!
Everything that was good is now available from/on the competition and many previous key features are now ruined (placeholders, touch optimizations, unlocked region (360), exclusive apps etc etc it is just so sad).

I will peek in every now and then. It's an old habit to check wpcentral, microsft-news and neowin

Cheers!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion