iOS 9 Beta 5 Brings some features found in Windows Phone

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
While one of the largest changes is a LARGE collection of new wallpapers to use with your new iPhone, along with a number of "cosmetic UI changes", there are 2 changes that will actually change the functionality of the iPhone's iOS. Both features are already available on my Lumia 635, which I could buy 10 or more of for the price of an iPhone. Glad to see iPhone improving, as it will further Microsoft's push for improvement even further.

1. Wi-Fi Calling for AT&T. Currently only available for T-Mobile and Sprint, this will allow Wi-Fi calling for AT&T. Apparently the only change made to the OS here is that they have switched on a feature already available on other carriers.
2. Wi-Fi Assist, which, in a nutshell, will allow the iPhone to utilize your Cellular data connection when the Wi-Fi signal is too weak. This can help prevent a dropped call or corrupt data. This feature is available in all Windows Phones by opening the Cellular & SIM setting, and in the section labeled "For limited Wi-Fi connectivity" select "use cellular data", which is set by default.

There are other improvements, but these are the ones with the biggest impact. Most are UI changes from Beta 4 to Beta 5.

I do find it interesting to see what the others are doing.

While AT&T does not currently support Wi-Fi calling, it is coming by the end of the year, and iOS wants to be ready for it. Don't worry, Windows Phones that are capable will be able to handle it as well.

What's your take? Sound off below.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Pretty sure Wi-Fi calling existed on Tmo before WP came along so not really a "WP feature" being added......

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Pretty sure Wi-Fi calling existed on Tmo before WP came along so not really a "WP feature" being added......

I didn't say it was a "WP feature," as that implies exclusivity. I said it was a feature found in Windows Phone. I also stated that iPhone already does this on T-Mobile and Sprint, just like Windows Phone and Android. iPhone is just "enabling" it for AT&T. WP doesn't have it disabled.

I also didn't say "features found on WP and Android", because I'm not up on the latest Android features, though they probably have both of these as well. I was just unable to verify it right away. Perhaps someone else can.

I'm also not implying that iOS is trying to "copy" WP in any way, though all of them copy each other on the features they like from time to time. I'm just stating that iOS has finally decided there is a need for these features, and are introducing them. This is good news for iPhone owners. Still, Windows Phone has already been doing it. Windows Phone just doesn't have a fancy name for "Wi-Fi Assist." It's just a setting. The fancy name is marketing. Marketing is something for which Apple is famous.

Does Android have anything like Wi-Fi Assist? I really don't know.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I didn't say it was a "WP feature," as that implies exclusivity. I said it was a feature found in Windows Phone. I also stated that iPhone already does this on T-Mobile and Sprint, just like Windows Phone and Android. iPhone is just "enabling" it for AT&T. WP doesn't have it disabled.

I also didn't say "features found on WP and Android", because I'm not up on the latest Android features, though they probably have both of these as well. I was just unable to verify it right away. Perhaps someone else can.

I'm also not implying that iOS is trying to "copy" WP in any way, though all of them copy each other on the features they like from time to time. I'm just stating that iOS has finally decided there is a need for these features, and are introducing them. This is good news for iPhone owners. Still, Windows Phone has already been doing it. Windows Phone just doesn't have a fancy name for "Wi-Fi Assist." It's just a setting. The fancy name is marketing. Marketing is something for which Apple is famous.

Does Android have anything like Wi-Fi Assist? I really don't know.

Well said sir.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
what windows Phone is that?

The 521 and 925 both launched with Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile. The newer 640 has native integration while the one on the 521 and 925 are standalone firmware dependant apps.

635 also. Any Windows phone with LTE can also automatically fall back to LTE if the Wi-Fi signal is weak or lost to prevent a dropped call. Something else iOS9 is just now adding.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Most lemmings figure apple creates everything. Even the air we breathe. They will announce this as "magical" and our innovative new feature, wifi calling. An industry first. Next up since their finger scanner takes a **** most of the time, they will have eye scans. Mark my word. They will also sue Microsoft for using the word retina for the retina scanner technology in hello.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There's also a list of supposed features that Windows phone don't have, like multitasking ( two apps at once/split screen).

People talking about one phone having multitasking and the other one not always makes me laugh. They misuse the term because so few people know what it really means.

You can have 20 win32 apps open on your PC, and still not be multitasking. Multitasking is when more than one program is using the processor at the same time in different threads. If you have Notepad, File Explorer, and Word open, then you aren't multitasking. None of those apps need to be using CPU cycles in the background. This is how Windows Phone behaves. Apps don't get processor cycles in the background. People don't realize that very few apps need to be able to do that. Continuing a download in the store is one case where it should be necessary.

Windows Phone, despite popular believe, CAN multitask. Ever get a phone call, then while talking on the phone go type an email? That's multitasking. Ever look up an address on the map while on the phone? That's multitasking. It's there, just not available to the average developer, as it keeps a bad developer from killing your battery life, among other things.

2 apps on one screen is only good above a certain size screen, which the iPhone never had before iPhone 6, which is why it's only just now coming about. We'll see if Windows 10 for mobile will bring it.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
People talking about one phone having multitasking and the other one not always makes me laugh. They misuse the term because so few people know what it really means.

You can have 20 win32 apps open on your PC, and still not be multitasking. Multitasking is when more than one program is using the processor at the same time in different threads. If you have Notepad, File Explorer, and Word open, then you aren't multitasking. None of those apps need to be using CPU cycles in the background. This is how Windows Phone behaves. Apps don't get processor cycles in the background. People don't realize that very few apps need to be able to do that. Continuing a download in the store is one case where it should be necessary.

Windows Phone, despite popular believe, CAN multitask. Ever get a phone call, then while talking on the phone go type an email? That's multitasking. Ever look up an address on the map while on the phone? That's multitasking. It's there, just not available to the average developer, as it keeps a bad developer from killing your battery life, among other things.

2 apps on one screen is only good above a certain size screen, which the iPhone never had before iPhone 6, which is why it's only just now coming about. We'll see if Windows 10 for mobile will bring it.

Nice rant.

I'm pretty sure I explained what I meant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes