Where is the wpcentral WP7 application?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
OK, you guys are probably the best site for WP7 news, I wonder if you are working on a WP7 application? Of all the WP sites I think this one is still one of the ones that supports WP7 sensibly, so how about it?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking the same thing too. Trying to load the site over 3g on the phone is painfully slow. I use Twitter to monitor stories here and Board Express for the forums.

It'd be nice if they had a mobile version of the site and forums like their sister site crackberry.com has.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
m.wpcentral.com is the mobile version. It lacks comments, however.

To be honest, I live in the browser, and don't really have much use for apps dedicated to news sites. I'd rather see websites designed for HTML 5, particularly mobile sites.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh yea I forgot there was a mobile site. I kind of wish they showed story thumbnails on the front page and a quick blurb of the story. Right now it's just a page of headlines. Comments would nice too like you said.

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
m.wpcentral.com is the mobile version. It lacks comments, however.

To be honest, I live in the browser, and don't really have much use for apps dedicated to news sites. I'd rather see websites designed for HTML 5, particularly mobile sites.

@Rico, I agree with you about the lack of comments and the preference for websites to have mobile versions of their sites rather than "dedicated apps". Note that HTML 5 support isn't required to achieve that goal.

At one point in time, the original designer at the website Windows Phone Thoughts (don't think he is still there) did custom modifications of the forum software they were running. The mods enabled comments to be posted on the mobile version of their site from Windows Mobile phones. It was a highly polished and fun to use site. I wish WPCentral would do something similar.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
@Rico, I agree with you about the lack of comments and the preference for websites to have mobile versions of their sites rather than "dedicated apps". Note that HTML 5 support isn't required to achieve that goal.

At one point in time, the original designer at the website Windows Phone Thoughts (don't think he is still there) did custom modifications of the forum software they were running. The mods enabled comments to be posted on the mobile version of their site from Windows Mobile phones. It was a highly polished and fun to use site. I wish WPCentral would do something similar.
Not required, no. But HTML 5 would allow for more app-like sites which would be useable across devices, reducing the need for platform-specific apps.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure it's even needed. CrackBerry only added support for Tapatalk/Board Express a couple days ago, so they needed a mobile app. I actually rather use Tapatalk/BExpress for the forums over the app. And for new, RSS readers or even the mobile version in the browser.

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Not required, no. But HTML 5 would allow for more app-like sites which would be useable across devices, reducing the need for platform-specific apps.

I guess I'm not familiar enough with HTML 5 to understand how it facilitates usability across devices. Can you give me examples of what HTML 5 brings to the table in this regard?

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Seles has a Windows Phone News app that includes the WPCentral feed. It's basically a specialized version of the Weave RSS reader.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback everyone, will forward this onto management coupled with more milkshake for bribery purposes. Will keep you all updated when I receive a response :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I use boardexpress for the forums. But you can't view/comment on the main page articles.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand why all *central sites are so crappy for mobile browsing, since you know, they ALL cover mobile smartphones. Android Central had an app and it was annoying, because you should be able to just view it efficiently from the web browser and not have to install a whole other app for it.

Making a good mobile site would be better, especially since I know there is new news on wpcentral due to twitter (thus allowing me to just tap on a link to open the article).

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
OK, you guys are probably the best site for WP7 news, I wonder if you are working on a WP7 application? Of all the WP sites I think this one is still one of the ones that supports WP7 sensibly, so how about it?
We would never let our fans down. So yes, things are in the works. But we want to make sure we get it right.

As to the site being more mobile friendly, we're working on things there too--just trying to stabilize a bit before new features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon