Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even heard rumblings of it. I'd like to first see a real first-party YouTube app.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain we have a first party app, the issue is Google isn't allowing the same API access to the platform that are available to other platforms.

prjctchris

Mar 1, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain we have a first party app, the issue is Google isn't allowing the same API access to the platform that are available to other platforms.

While this may be an argument of semantics, the first-party app is actually just a bookmark for the awful old YouTube mobile site. If you're an HTC Windows Phone owner HTC themselves built a pretty decent YouTube app.

I don't buy the API access argument given by Microsoft at all since there are a few third-party YouTube apps on Windows Phone that are amazing and I doubt these developers were given better access than Microsoft. There's no reason Microsoft can't make something like the YouTube app by Lazyworm.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
While this may be an argument of semantics, the first-party app is actually just a bookmark for the awful old YouTube mobile site. If you're an HTC Windows Phone owner HTC themselves built a pretty decent YouTube app.

I don't buy the API access argument given by Microsoft at all since there are a few third-party YouTube apps on Windows Phone that are amazing and I doubt these developers were given better access than Microsoft. There's no reason Microsoft can't make something like the YouTube app by Lazyworm.
In reality Microsoft doesn't "need" access to the APIs I'm more than positive they have them, the issue is if they were to use them when Google doesn't let them then Google can sue, so Microsoft (and a couple of other companies) are suing in the European Union over Google's anti-competitive practices. Within that lawsuit is the mention of the YouTube APIs so yes I can surely "buy the API argument".

Edit: oh and here is how "regular" or "independent" devs can make "awesome" YouTube apps... http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/overview.html

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyways back on topic, unfortunately I haven't heard anything about it either, I emailed them but they gave me a pretty typical corporate/PR answer by saying "we're glad you love VEVO! as of now we don't have an application for your particular platform but we will look forward to extending our application services to growing platforms in the near future" that wasn't verbatim but very similar. Unfortunately they don't give public API access for their services or i would have made something myself. Oh well i really like vevo but meh what can I do.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh awesome, I love Vevo. I really need a speaker dock for my focus. :\
On this note... WP7 doesn't have any speaker docks that use the USB port does it? (I mean regardless of the make of the device) it either has to be a USB/3.5mm male connector combination, or a lone USB dock with connectivity happening through Bluetooth right? (at this point anyways) I wouldn't have a problem with either of these I'm more curious than anything really.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda disappointed in the apps' performance though... The scrolling I know will be fixed (to some degree at least) in Mango. The part that they're going to have to fix though is the volume of the music, its rather low.

antoniomelis

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Thanks for waiting for the VEVO app!
We're happy to be on WP7 now too.
Luis, the volume issue is fixed. The update is already getting published to the marketplace. It should be available at some point today - July 1st.
Regarding the performance, we are aware of it and we'll try to improve it in the next update, probably in the next week or two. A couple of VEVO WP7 only features will be available too.
Thanks again and enjoy!
VEVO

Lnin0

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Very clean layout and solid, quality video streaming on wifi. I installed it yesterday and just got the updated a day later. Nice work.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Thanks for waiting for the VEVO app!
We're happy to be on WP7 now too.
Luis, the volume issue is fixed. The update is already getting published to the marketplace. It should be available at some point today - July 1st.
Regarding the performance, we are aware of it and we'll try to improve it in the next update, probably in the next week or two. A couple of VEVO WP7 only features will be available too.
Thanks again and enjoy!
VEVO
It really is an amazing app, awesome work. I was floored when I saw the update no more than a day later, it really is nice to see dedication to the platform once a company is on board. When I received that email with the "typical PR response" I thought to myself great, another company that thinks they're too good for the up and coming platform lol. I gave it four out of five on the marketplace, once the performance is addressed it really will "be a 5-star must have" as I mentioned in the review.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes