What Weather App Automatically Updates Based on Current Location?

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All the weather apps giv you the ability to save and pin multiple locations, but do any of them have an option to have the Main live tile, along with lock screen dynamically update based on your current location? I travel a lot and it would be nice to not have to set anything

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Amazing Weather, Weather Flow, Gismeteo, and the HTC app if you have an 8x. Also, Lockbuster, and Locksider+ update weather on the LockScreen.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I use Accuweather, which is free and it has the ability to use location. I haven't used it, so don't know if it shows that on the tile, but I would think it should do that.

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think what nikholaspappas means, is this:

You are in Location A and the live tile shows the weather of this location. You then move to Location B and the live tile updates automatically to show the weather of your new location, without having to open the weather app. This means that the live tile's background task not only updates the weather, but also monitors your location at all times.

Of all the weather apps i have tried, none support this feature. The weather apps can access your location (provided you allow them to) but that is only available when you open the app itself. This is a typical limitation of the O/S, background tasks do not have access to the libraries that fetch your current location. I guess this is for conserving power but also for security reasons.

The only live tile / background task ever known to monitor your location and show weather based on this, is HTC HUB. But this is a device-specific app not available on other phones. The background task of this app has been developed to make use of the cached location data which is updated by the device every 15 minutes. Therefore that too might be the wrong location, but it is as close as you can get when you need to update a live tile's location reading without opening the app itself.

jabba_29

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure forecast allows this.
I've got fixed live tile of my home town and lock screen is current location,
But I think tile can can be current also

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I think what nikholaspappas means, is this:

You are in Location A and the live tile shows the weather of this location. You then move to Location B and the live tile updates automatically to show the weather of your new location, without having to open the weather app. This means that the live tile's background task not only updates the weather, but also monitors your location at all times.

Of all the weather apps i have tried, none support this feature. The weather apps can access your location (provided you allow them to) but that is only available when you open the app itself. This is a typical limitation of the O/S, background tasks do not have access to the libraries that fetch your current location. I guess this is for conserving power but also for security reasons.

The only live tile / background task ever known to monitor your location and show weather based on this, is HTC HUB. But this is a device-specific app not available on other phones. The background task of this app has been developed to make use of the cached location data which is updated by the device every 15 minutes. Therefore that too might be the wrong location, but it is as close as you can get when you need to update a live tile's location reading without opening the app itself.

I am pretty sure all the apps mentioned above update to the location you are in. I know Amazing Weather HD does as does Weather Flow. (Weather Flow's live tiles are not accurate though...another thread). The only problem is it is not automatically done when you enter a new area as the live tile can only update every so often due to restrictions. I travel daily and my live tile for Amazing Weather HD always updated to my new location without opening the app. Again, the limitiation is when is the live tile updating. For example if I set it to update hourly and if I am in a different location when it updates, then the live tile updates. If I go to a different location and return before the live tile updates, then it does not show where I was, as the update didn't take place while I was out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos