RootMetrics considering porting their CoverageMap app to the Windows platform

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I contacted RootMetrics via their Facebook page to find out if they were planning on making an app for Windows Phone. Here is the answer I got:

"We're considering porting our CoverageMap app to the Windows platform. The key issue preventing us from doing so thus far is we've not been able to gather the data necessary, from the OS, to produce a valid test result (based on our methodology). We're continuing to investigate the platform and if we can find a way to produce a high quality result (or if the platform changes), then we'll likely release a WP8 version. Thanks for the question."

Just thought I'd post this here in case any of the talented Windows Phone developers we have here want to help them out.

If you're not familiar with RootMetrics, check out their web site: RootMetrics | Measuring mobile performance for you, and with you

thundertime88

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
So I decide to email rootmetrics about windows 10 for the phone and they sent this back. Thank you for your interest in our CoverageMap app and my apologies for the delay in responding to your question.

While it's true that Microsoft is taking steps to allow Android apps to run on the Windows Phone OS, it remains to be seen as to whether APKs running on the Windows Phone Android environment have access to the same levels of system information as running natively within the Android OS. Traditionally, Windows Phone has been a more closed OS with limited system information available (compared to Android). We're investigating the Windows 10 option and how it plays with our software – the outcome of which will determine if we can publish a viable Windows Phone version of our app.

So Hopefully we may actually get a rootmetrics app one day.

edit 6/27/15 I also posted on their forums a few weeks back and the rootmetrics agent said this.
The determining factor in producing and supporting an android build of our app for Windows Phone is largely dependent on the information the Windows OS makes available to the Android emulator. Traditionally, Windows Phone OS has been a more closed system (when compared to Android) in terms of access to system information – information necessary for our application to accurately test your network. We're investigating how our app plays with the new system and will react accordingly pending the outcome of the results.

So it seems like they(rootmetrics) are looking into it a lot. Hopefully us windows phone users get a rootmetrics app when windows 10 for the phone and tablets comes out.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon