Can you teach me to use Poki?

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently downloaded Poki because there was a lot of buzz around it. It looks beautiful but I'm kind of confused as to what I am supposed to do with it. I was expecting that it would add an option under share menus (like pocket in the WPcentral app) to apps that I might use to read articles, or even internet explorer. It doesn't seem to do that so I'm confused as to how people are using it.

Can someone give me a run-down on the proper use of Poki and maybe what apps are compatible with it?

Thanks!

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are some apps besides WPCentral that are compatible, but I mainly use Poki as a way to access articles I came across while using my laptop. I use the Pocket extension for Chrome. If I see something of interest that I want to read later (or just save for future reference) I "send" it to Pocket using the Chrome extension, and tag it. Then when I'm on the go with my phone, and I have a few minutes to read something, I'll fire up Poki and see all the articles I've been collecting. Of course I also visit the Pocket website on my laptop, desktop or other computers when I feel like reading something.

Long story short, Poki is just a way to access your Pocket account; which is helpful because there is no 1st party Pocket app for WP. Some WP apps (like WPC) support Pocket, and you can send articles to Poki, Squirrel, Pouch or other 3rd party clients. You'd then be able to view them later on your phone, or in Pocket on a computer. Poki doesn't add any special sharing option on its own- it is up to the devs making the various content apps to build in the Pocket sharing.

In regards to IE on WP8, there is no support for sharing to Pocket. MS does make a Windows 8 app called Reading List that works with IE11 on Windows. My hope is that the new IE11 browser on WP8.1 will support either Pocket or Reading List.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon