Apps that mean something to you but either aren't available or in a bad shape

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
To start it off:-
Twitter- Windows phone version is still lacking feature parity with ios/android versions. No mute option. No turn off RTs option. It doesn't show complete conversation threads. No GIF support. Slow and unpolished. Can't access all settings within th app. And what's with accumulative cache that eats system storage?
Facebook- Can't even change dp and cover photos from phones intuitively. No image/gif/media support in comments either for commenting or viewing. Notifications don't take you to specific location in comments feed. There is no live update feed for comments when you are actively commenting. You have to scroll down every time to the latest comment. Can't access all settings(deactivate) from within the app.
Instagram- official client needs to get out of beta and become on par with android/ios.
Wordpress- missing in normal search. Need a polished app with full features support and without bugs.
Spotify-need ad supported streaming without subscription.
Tumblr- can we do away with web wrappers and have an actual polished app?
Pinterest- same as above.
Snapchat- official client still missing.
Flipboard- missing
Quora- missing
Reddit- missing
Quiz up- missing
Pocket- missing
Google maps- needed in countries where bing/here maps don't offer services. Also, needed to be integrated in other apps for location services in those regions.
Avast Antivirus- missing
Memory(RAM) management apps-
Soundcloud- official client missing. Some users don't allow streaming to 3rd party apps.
8tracks- official client missing
IMDB- its a good app but hasn't been updated in ages.
Flickr- official client missing

Last edited:

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Pocket We probably got the best Pocket- App on all plattforms. It's called "Poki" and it got a huge update this week.
Reddit There are also decent Reddit- Apps (Baconit and Read it are those I know).
Avast Antivirus There is absolutly no need for that. Also those "antivirus apps" are almost useless- even on Android.
Memory There is no need for that. It is called OS and it manages the RAM.
Snapchat use 6tag

The same goes for most of your other expamples. Use 3rd party apps. Most of than are better than the official ones would ever be!

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
BBC iPlayer - rubbish web wrapper although the video quality has greatly improved in the latest version
BBC Sport - not available
xbox music - needs to load lists faster and be generally faster.
Something like wifi analyser on android or inssider on pc. Don't know if such a thing exists on wp but I can't find it if it does.
Which brings me to.....
The WP Store - Searching is really rubbish. You can search for the exact name of an app and it won't be listed at the top. You can search for an app and non official rip offs will appear above the official version etc.
VLC would be nice but I barely used it on android and will probably barely use it on wp when it comes out. A nice to have but not essential
Official Google Maps - not going to happen any time soon but it would be nice. I am finding that Bing maps is way better than Here maps so it's not that big a deal. For some reason it seems to have lots more places (shops, restaurants etc) than here maps but google Maps is still the number 1.

That's probably about it for me. Overall, I'm quite satisfied apart from not having a bbc sport app and only because for some reason you can't watch any videos on the mobile website on WP.

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Netflix is a huge problem for me. I'm not the primary account holder, so I can't even use my profile with it. Hasn't been updated in ages either.

There still isn't a decent BBC app that can compete with the official ios one.

No Firefox or Chrome to use and IE is an absolute mess at times.

Bing app for Android is way better than Cortana's Bing integration.

Bing rewards had to be a joke. It crashes constantly and is just an ugly wrapper.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Pocket We probably got the best Pocket- App on all plattforms. It's called "Poki" and it got a huge update this week.
Reddit There are also decent Reddit- Apps (Baconit and Read it are those I know).
Avast Antivirus There is absolutly no need for that. Also those "antivirus apps" are almost useless- even on Android.
Memory There is no need for that. It is called OS and it manages the RAM.
Snapchat use 6tag

The same goes for most of your other expamples. Use 3rd party apps. Most of than are better than the official ones would ever be!

Yes we have got the best 3rd party clients most of them better than official clients but most of them are paid apps too. Now who wants to pay for an otherwise free services? Of course you can buy them for added features that they give or for the support of developer but because you were cornered into buying one because there wasn't an official one?
These are the most basic and used services on web and they categorize us as 4% when in fact we form millions of users and getting ignored by them like that is demeaning and humiliating.
I expect Microsoft to stand upto them on our behalf and push them till they give us as regular updates and quality as other platforms.
Antivirus- I am hoping we will have enough share one day to be the targets of hackers and malware creators and when that day comes, I want my device to be protected.
RAM management- its not the OS, its badly programmed 3rd party bloatware which sometimes is eating away at your memory and doesn't vacate it quickly even if the task is terminated. The OS can only do so much thus establishing the importance of these apps.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Timesofindia....ironically, windows 8 counterpart got significant updates and even now Android uses that interface.

IMDB....no words

I want Poweramp.....It's the only app I'm missing from Android.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Instagram!!! 6tag is ok but I can't upload videos I already have. I like to edit my videos in other apps and then upload them and that's just not possible at all with WP.

Navy federal. Would love my back to have an app.

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes we have got the best 3rd party clients most of them better than official clients but most of them are paid apps too. Now who wants to pay for an otherwise free services? .
I know it's annoying, but I if you buy a 400$ phone those few apps are not that expensive and you just have to buy them ONCE.

Antivirus- I am hoping we will have enough share one day to be the targets of hackers and malware creators and when that day comes, I want my device to be protected.
Well that's cute but how do think are those apps working? There is not magic behind them. If hackers find a good way to install malware on your device, these apps are totally useless. The biggest safety issue is always the user. Just think before you install anything and you will be safe (also the apps in the marketplace are checked first). Here is a test of a few android antivirus scanner. They failed pretty hard: Android antivirus apps are useless, here’s what to do instead | ExtremeTech
RAM management- its not the OS, its badly programmed 3rd party bloatware which sometimes is eating away at your memory and doesn't vacate it quickly even if the task is terminated. The OS can only do so much thus establishing the importance of these apps.
Well I never experienced this, so please could you give me an expample of an app that is causing this issue? Even if the apps are written badly it is the task of the OS to deallocate the memory. And since the task manager of Windows Phone doesn't allow "true multitasking" (just over well defined and certain APIs) those apps are really no problem. If an active task requires more memory it flushes the memory of the inactive ones.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Just looked back at this thread and am really surprised at how few responses there are. A year ago this would have been a multi page list of complaints. Shows how far WP has come. There are still apps missing, but not so many that loads of people bother to moan about it.

It's now mostly things that people would like but can live without.

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
First of all the obvious : Flipboard
Secondly: Xbox Music App
I want a music app that is presented and performs as well as the Zune HD, otherwise it's not that appealing listening to music on the phone.

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Facebook: Sharing posts is very limited compared to Android & ios

Square: There are no good credit card pressing apps, and square is very feature rich. I use it for my business constantly an my nexus 7.

Chromecast features: Not really 1 app, but at its price it's an incredible way to send media

theetommyt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, a smart phone is a luxury anyway. Why live without if you don't have to? The app gap is a real issue. It's frustrating as a WP user. It's enough that keeps people away, and causes others to leave a good, potentially great platform.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Some blame goes with MS as well. They have been too slow in developing the core OS features and providing more APIs. I've observed whenever the new version or an update of OS outs, there comes a wave of new apps and games. Maybe it's about being in news. Let the world(and developers) know that they are still in the game. That they are here to stay.

mapman_yyc

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Sirius is the app I want most. I keep telling Sirius I'm going to cancel my account because they don't have an app but they dropped my subscription fee until I stayed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon