• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
03-09-2018 07:25 PM
61 123
tools
    Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
    Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
    Just asking
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    01-29-2018 06:34 PM
    Since Microsoft's "new device" isn't factual it's SMART to use or buy a phone based on one's needs, not rumours, hearsay and speculation. Just my opinion.
    01-29-2018 09:31 PM
    Bottom line is, even if they do release a new device, it will take time for it to catch up with apps and features, provided it's a huge success (save that for another discussion). So if you at least go android, you'll have access to the latest features/apps etc, even from microsoft, and if a new MS device gets launched, all that isn't going to go away from android, just as it won't magically appear on the speculated MS device.

Everything points to going on android or iOS currently. Because of MS' track record, I wouldn't trust a new device being a success, and would let others test the waters.
    Shrave, azilgath and 13paul13 like this.
    01-31-2018 06:23 AM
    I would recommend just using whatever device you have now for as long as it works and then upgrade to whatever is out there when your phone finally quites.
    01-31-2018 10:27 AM
    Here is a rumor article from 2012 about a surface phone:
    Microsoft Surface Phone rumor resurfaces, to hit the shelves by next summer

It has been a rumor for literally 5 years! I'd say the idea that it is a concept drawing somewhere in Microsoft is the OPTIMISTIC side of things...
    That was last year, the surface phone rumor is now at 6 years & counting. Six years of 'just around the corner'...
    01-31-2018 03:06 PM
    That was last year, the surface phone rumor is now at 6 years & counting. Six years of 'just around the corner'...
    Coming Soon. There, I fixed it for you.
    01-31-2018 06:26 PM
    Is it smart to buy an Android phone now that Microsoft's new device is around the corner?
    Especially if you're a Windows mobile phone fan. Why would you get an Android phone now if.you've stuck in there this long what's a few more months. If the device is canceled or delayed indefinitely I'm sure your current phone will still be just as usable in a few months as it is today..
    Just asking
    Depends on your definition of 'around the corner'. Are we talking three months? Six months? One year? Two years? Longer?

If it's one year or more away, get something that's functional now, and down the road, you can worry about any Microsoft mobile device, when/if it becomes available at retail.

As others have mentioned, the purported 'Surface Phone' has been around so many corners, that if it were a neighborhood, we would have driven or walked around multiple times and have wound back at the same spot that we started.
    Shrave and Galway 77 like this.
    02-06-2018 09:34 AM
    If your phone isn't working...get a new one.
    If your phone is working...wait and see (that's what I 'm doing:)
    02-06-2018 09:43 AM
    I'm holding to my 950 till it turns to dust. LOL. After that, I'll grab a 950XL if there's no new Microsoft mobile device yet. I have all the apps I need (although not all the ones I'd like).
    Ben Triplett1 likes this.
    02-06-2018 09:50 AM
    Unless my Elite x3 breaks, I don't need a new phone until the Fall or so and I am not in any rush. With that said, I haven't heard anything about Andromeda to suggest that MS wants it to be a replacement for your phone. If they aren't even trying to replace a phone, I don't imagine I would want it instead of an Android phone. It's true that I have mostly been happy for years with BlackBerry and Windows 10 Mobile, targeting business users and not worried about an app gap. Maybe Andromeda would be good enough for my main productivity priorities, although I also don't need the more advanced stuff like pen support which will add a bunch to the cost.

Related timing is that we bought a house so as I add more things like smart home tech, I am actually finding myself caring about the app gap for the first time. It's annoying to need to use my wife's Android to update a light bulb. I think it's time that I accept defeat and join the masses. Unless something changes in the next 6-8 months of course.
    02-06-2018 09:55 AM
    I bought a Samsung S8, couldn't be happier: things actually works and there are apps.

I will probably not resist to buy this Andromeda device, but it can't replace S8. You have to know it will be same story as Windows 10 Mobile, there will probably be plenty of bugs and very few apps. If you can live with it, then wait, if you need an actual smartphone I'm sure this won't be what you are looking for.
    02-06-2018 10:32 AM
    So uninspired by the Android choice that I'll hang on for another 6 or so months despite the main bank app closing down this month.

Here the problem will be application support, I hope the difference they can make this time will be to ditch apps and ARM and just get the surface phone running x86 PC applications. If they do that then I won't need a special application for each task, just the same method the PC performs it will be fine.

And I have noticed that after the initial excitement there has been a bit of this realism go into a lot of what were former apps, many are now implemented via webpage and work just as well.
    02-06-2018 10:35 AM
    Andromeda seems more PC focused to me. Therefore, I don't think Microsoft cares too much how many phone apps it has (e.g. snapchat, banking, etc.) at launch. I think it will be pushed with a huge focus on its new continuum capabilities (Version 1 of Polaris) and its tablet/journal/inking capabilities. I bet (if it is actually advertised by Microsoft) it will rarely be showed in "phone mode" except for taking phone calls and sending texts.

That said, if you want your Windows Phone to be more like a PC than an app rich iOS or Android device, maybe it's worth waiting.

Otherwise, just watch for a great deal on a non-Windows smartphone and snag it. Android and iOS have a lot of pros too!
    02-06-2018 10:41 AM
    If you don't care about apps and hate the closed ecosystem of Apple and the "Bloat and way to many options" of Android...get a Flip phone, its cheap, reliable and will hold until this Andromeda thing gets here. If you have a Windows phone and just don't care that the platform is being phased out then hold out, see what Andromeda brings...if it suites your needs then you would have saved money by not buying an interim phone. You could use the money saved to purchase Andromeda or if it is a POS on arrival, then by all means get Apple or Android or a Flip phone or just say screw it and get no phone and get off the grid! :) (Just my rambling thoughts...)
    02-06-2018 10:42 AM
    I bought an S8 for me and my wife for christmas, and I'm using my L950X. I decided I don't need all those apps enough to keep using it, and it's not like MS is without apps. My wife however needs those apps, or rather, she need SnapChat. One month + complaining about the Phone, and still counting. I bought an iPhone 7 last year, and that's even worse.

Now, if it was around the corner for sure, I'd say no. We do not really know, so I'm not telling you to wait. But I'm sticking with my L950XL as long at it lasts. I even noticed my local Power store have one L950XL in the store, considering buying that one if they give me a good price. Then I hope I'll be set until they release the next big thing, what ever it turns out to be, and when.
    02-06-2018 10:48 AM
    Yes. We're not going all in on Microsoft like that anymore. I'll try an Andromeda device but not sure about making it my primary device.
    Old_Mil and azilgath like this.
    02-06-2018 10:48 AM
    I would say hedge your bets. Andromeda may or may not happen and if it does happen, it may or may not happen this year. If you need a new phone and you're interested in Andromeda, I'd say buy something cheap. If you're a Windows 10 Mobile person and would like to stay on that until the ship sinks, get a cheap phone. Don't invest in anything expensive. Who knows when the last leg its standing on is kicked out? Plus, if Andromeda is announced the next day, you won't have just sunk a bunch of money into a phone that's on its way out. If you're thinking about Android, same thing. If Andromeda is announced the next day, you won't have sunk a bunch of money into a phone that you want to dump for Andromeda. In the case of Android, even if Andromeda doesn't happen, you might find that you don't like Android and want to look at iOS or a different version of Android. You won't have dumped a bunch of money into a phone you don't like.
    02-06-2018 11:18 AM
    Nokia has re released the 3310 which may be a reasonable choice of you are looking for a replacement for a failed W10m handset.

I just got an Xperia X and flashed it to Sailfish. I really like it....enough that I am ordering the sailfish tablet from the indegogo project.

Otherwise I would probably just sit tight and see what the future holds.
    02-06-2018 11:36 AM
    Seeing that one could pick up an android phone for cheap, don't wait if you need a phone. Likely, the type of person in the market for the rumored $1000 surface "phone" (pricing is made up, but based off of similar type devices, will likely be close to that) the kind of person that can afford to drop $200 on a used LG G6 or something similar in the interim.
    02-06-2018 11:53 AM
    My faith in MS' ability to execute this strategy has long since evaporated.......as has many of their consumer products. They have a severe image problem with me.
    Blomsternisse and azilgath like this.
    02-06-2018 11:58 AM
    If you are still on Windows mobile, then you should definitely wait for Andromeda. If you satisfied with Windows mobile then Andromeda could be just better. What lack of apps, if you already on Windows mobile? It will have same apps you already have on current Windows phones. What people think of phone capability? You already have phone app on PC. You just need hardware that support phone calling. And Andromeda will have it. So it will be phone size, it will have phone capability, so it will be phone. Someone says that Andromeda is PC oriented. How? Andromeda is mobile shell. It will have Windows core, but mobile shell. So it is first mobile, then rest. And it will not be abandoned anymore, because it will have same core as Windows for PC. Only if they abandon Windows completely? That's not gonna happen. So it will be phone, but also much more than that.
    fdruid, Dani-L and rajat pahwa like this.
    02-06-2018 12:27 PM
    Yes it is smart. For instance, Bing Maps is a mess for Paris... for a year now. No subway stations figured on the map (on the web or in windows maps). Except office apps, the other UWA are not really updated (Deezer, local apps, etc.)
    So while my 950 is my main device, I got myself a Xiaomi Redmi note 4, 128€ for the 64GB/4GB international variant, to test Android (actually Lineage OS to control my exposure to Google) and after a week or so, I'm tempted to switch.

If the existing apps were functional on W10M, I wouldn't hesitate. But Cortana no longer works in France ("time to leave" fonction has stopped working more than a year ago, some "examples" given in the dedicated card don't even work, etc.), Maps is useless in Paris for a pedestrian, etc.

I don't need a foldable tablet, I don't wait for Andromeda or whatever, if Microsoft don't change their mindset about consumers. Their ToDo roadmap is a good illustration : they don't really care about the audience or feedback, they deliver according to their plans, even if they have announced sharing lists 6 months ago (on Twitter). I don't trust them, so buying a cheap but performant android is a good idea, just to prepare for the post W10M.

I also have an iPhone 5S (given by my former company) but I don't see myself buying an iPhone, even if the OS is nice and the apps generally of better quality than on Android.

My 2 cts.
    02-06-2018 12:38 PM
    My situation was a Win10 game PC, Win 10 Laptop i7-16gbram 512gb ssd Private, Win10 i5-16gb-256gb ssd for work, Win 10 Tablet, Lumia 650 for work, Lumia 950 private phone, Office 365 subscription, Groove, Xbox live etc etc.

My situation now is Acer Chromebook 15, Galaxy S7 private,Nokia 3310 Work, Galaxy tab S2 8.0, Google Home, Chromecast, no subscriptions. total cost of going all in google? less than $999,-

They can win me back because I love Microsoft where I like Google but they need to come up with a descent phone/hybrid and a make this thing called windows 10 s work.

Also edge needs more extensions.

TLDR: go to Google now and come back when they are the winning team again.
    Last edited by Stacy van Duijn; 02-06-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    Stan77 and azilgath like this.
    02-06-2018 12:46 PM
    Just asking
    Of course it's worth waiting a few months, even a year. I'm sick of this site pushing people towards Android or iOS as if you needed to buy a new phone every week, like they do. Plus we all know it's coming soon. And besides Andromeda, there will eventually be phones, because, why shouldn't there be? All they need to do is take Windows 10 Core OS, slap whatever mode Andromeda runs when in phone mode and that's it. it could even have full-desktop Continuum-like mode.
    So no use to falling into another, inferior ecosystem.
    Dani-L and mtf1380 like this.
    02-06-2018 01:47 PM
    The short answer is: it depends entirely on your needs. Is your existing device meeting all of your needs? If so, then keep using it. If you're having major issues like a failing battery, broken screen, or non-functional buttons then shop around for something that will meet your needs. There is no one-size-fits-all answer for what Android device is best for all users.

The long answer requires us to step back and analyze the current situation. How many "leaks" have you seen in the last few months about the new Samsung Galaxy 9 phones? A lot, right? Now how many have you seen about the mythical "Surface Phone". A patent here, an SDK reference there, but nothing more substantial than that. If by just "around the corner", you mean within the next few months, then you'll likely be disappointed.

Microsoft did manage to keep the original Surface lineup under wraps, which is why it was such a shock to the world when it was revealed, but I'm not so sure they can keep this device quiet in the same way. Similarly, the recent Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities were shared with quite a few large companies months before being revealed to the public. There were simply "too many cooks in the kitchen" to keep all of the details secret, and the leaks forced Intel to scramble and speak out earlier than planned. With the Andromeda device, there will be a supply chain needed for various custom components, especially the folding screen. The mobile connectivity will require certification from the FCC and possibly deals with mobile carriers. The OS APIs will need to be further fleshed out to support the new features of the device. Many mobile devices take 12-18 months to go from design to point of sale because of all of these things, and we just haven't heard or seen enough concrete clues to expect the device to be ready for sale any time in the next few months.

With that being said, my prediction is that Microsoft will release the next Windows 10 update in March along with Windows 10 for ARM to allow partners to release PCs built on ARM chipsets. Redstone 5 APIs and more Cortana/AI-focused edge computing features will be discussed at the Build conference in May, including more foundational elements to support a "Surface Phone" type of device--like the shell composers--but no hardware will be announced. The next OS update will be released in September/October, possibly with the next wave of ARM-based Windows 10 PCs from partners based on Snapdragon 845 chips. A few of these second-wave PCs will integrate the "Cortana on a chip" that Microsoft has recently teased, allowing for on-device AI features similar to what Google is now doing with their Pixel 2 and Android 8.1. October will bring another Surface event where the new Andromeda device will be officially revealed, including the folding screen, custom Cortana AI chips, and 5G network connectivity, but no price or release date will be announced. March/April 2019 will see the release of Redstone 6 along with the much anticipated and overdue release of the unicorn which will allegedly save Microsoft's mobile efforts.

Until that happens, evaluate your needs and your budget. There are plenty of options for various use cases and price points. It might even be a smart idea to wait a few months, or even 1-2 iterations (like it took to finally perfect the Surface Pro 3), before picking up a new Microsoft-branded device if/when the Andromeda device releases. It will most certainly have bugs, lack key functionality, and not be the "dream" device we've all been imagining, or at least not on the first release.
    Hazuos and teaglass like this.
    02-06-2018 02:00 PM
61 123