Andromeda / Surface Phone will come with Android OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauerbourne

May 14, 2018
Visit site
Please no android running device from Microsoft. I would not buy one. I am still using my Lumia 950 XL and I think I will do that until it will not run anymore. Just my two cents. Hopefully the new device category from Microsoft will bring back Windows Mobile 😎 fingers crossed

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I just have no desire to run all that low quality software on a big screen. If I were to go for a mobile OS for a tablet sized device, it would be iOS. But for me, the whole appeal is being able to run windows software from my pocket. I love windows on a tablet, for me mobile OSes are not even in the same tier, so I absolutely want that on a pocket device.

Beyond that, UWP and Windows are Microsoft products. If Microsoft doesn't back it's own products, that would be very silly.

I actually think android has less lifespan than windows. Whilst apple has apparently rejected the idea of a hybrid OS, fushia is a very likely thing for google, and as such both chrome and android will likely one day be obsolete.

I also don't think the average user uses that much apps, that any app gap is a significant problem. We will likely see PWAs for WhatsApp and all that nonsense very soon - and in perfect timing for that growth period is the release of the next round of windows on arm devices, and also windows core.

In terms of creating a need for PWA, and encouraging development also of UWP (for windows on arm devices), so far as I can tell the timing is PERFECT. If it's not strategy its providence.

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
You might want to consider seeking help from a mental health practitioner. Inventing alternate realities in your head is a red flag. Yikes.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
If they put Android on it then why should I buy it? I could simply just use a Android phone like Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus or even the new version called 9. Then thing is that the market already has so many Android smart phones and tablets that cost very little. Surface with Android would be just another option in the huge market.

Also if they put Windows 10 on it then why would I buy it? I already have a Lumia 950 XL that can be a mini tablet/phone so no need for a Surface. Beside I have already seen how they ship something and then dish it again very soon if it does not gets market shares on like 30 pro cent.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
So should it run Andromeda or Android
Neither, Andromeda will run what PC runs, Win10, WoA.
It's the codename of the project / device, not some brand new or another not-Windows OS like WinMobile OS.

Last edited:

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Android is a problem, even Google knows it is a problem as they are ripping it apart and trying to layer it and strapping everything back together with duct tape.
I'll add.
* Sound playback lag in some Xperia model.
* Vulkan is unsable on Galaxy S8 (gives baclscreen but the very same code works on other Androids)
* Overheat problems in many Japanese Android phones because of the material they choose.
* Try-to-be-smart-battery-saver-implementation from some Japanese OEM that prevents apps running correctly.
* OEM updates Android version without pushing anything to users (no files, just change the version number).
* Custom ROMs, sometimes they don't remove deprecated API the sametime Google does.

↑ What freedom brought us. Also why I stayed with 1st party Android.

But, actually, I've never encounter those Buetooth, Notification issues you mentioned.
There was a bad OS update that introduced memory leak and slow downs but it's fixed in the next update.
The only complain I had was Inbox and Chrome don't resume after GC (cause Nexus5x has small RAM). It's the reason why I switched to Outlook and Edge (they resume well).
Why MS's product? Like I'm gonna trust some small company with my emails, login and password.

Last edited:

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still doubtful andromeda will come. To me microsoft's vision is far too vague to see andromeda come to fruition. I think it will disappointing if it is released.
For excercise in lateral thinking, if andromeda is android with microsoft special software sauce, I would want the following.

-android OS
-full windows 10 moblie cshell laucher
-upgraded continuum with at least two app multitasking (like tablet mode in windows 10)
-upgraded live tile package with more creative tile sizes
-interactive live tiles
-the windows sandbox for a more safer OS, which runs sepparately from android OS
-plugin where each andriod app can easily be bridged to the windows 10 mobile launcher and access launcher funcionalities with regard to the sandboxing, notification management, access to microsoft's native apps and onedrive and the use of live tile funcitonality.
-landscape and portrait orientation support of the launcher in android.
-full android swipe keyboard.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm still doubtful andromeda will come. To me microsoft's vision is far too vague to see andromeda come to fruition. I think it will disappointing if it is released.
For excercise in lateral thinking, if andromeda is android with microsoft special software sauce, I would want the following.

-android OS
-full windows 10 moblie cshell laucher
-upgraded continuum with at least two app multitasking (like tablet mode in windows 10)
-upgraded live tile package with more creative tile sizes
-interactive live tiles
-the windows sandbox for a more safer OS, which runs sepparately from android OS
-plugin where each andriod app can easily be bridged to the windows 10 mobile launcher and access launcher funcionalities with regard to the sandboxing, notification management, access to microsoft's native apps and onedrive and the use of live tile funcitonality.
-landscape and portrait orientation support of the launcher in android.
-full android swipe keyboard.

You can't run the android runtimes and windows runtimes in the same OS. In order to qualify for a license for the play services in android, you need to have a near default android set-up.

Virtually all android apps now require play services. So it is impossible now, for anyone to make use of android apps, on another OS, or with another set of application APIs, unlike back when blackberry OS, and sailfish used to promote their now outdated android runtimes.

Or put simply, if it runs android apps, it does not run any other kind of apps, except perhaps via emulation or if it's a google product (chrome).

The only thing that would acheive close to the same effect is dual booting, and probably the only configuration google would tolerate is dual booting Linux.

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
Surface phone on Android is a bad idea. Better idea mini version of HP Envy X2 on ARM...

* Name: Surface Phone or Surface Note
* Windows 10 Core OS running on ARM 850
* Slate form factor. 5.7 inch screen.
* All metal, unibody, surface-squared corners
* Full telephony & text
* eSim
* GPS
* Carl Zeiss cameras
* 8 gb ram
* 128 gb ssd with sd card expansion
* Just ONE model of the Surface Phone. No need for 650, 950, 950XL just one model.
* Price $799 - includes folio type cover, pen, and usb-c to hdmi adapter
* INCLUDED: Leather folio type-cover, tactile keys and kickstand built into the case
* INCLUDED: Surface Pen
* INCLUDED: usb-c to hdmi adapter
* INCLUDED: 1 year subscription of Office 365

Will it be the #1 selling phone of all time? Probably not. But it will sell... to both enterprise and consumer customers. And more importantly, like a proper Surface device it will inspire OEMs to build similar devices on Windows 10 for ARM.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Surface phone on Android is a bad idea. Better idea mini version of HP Envy X2 on ARM...

* Name: Surface Phone or Surface Note
* Windows 10 Core OS running on ARM 850
* Slate form factor. 5.7 inch screen.
* All metal, unibody, surface-squared corners
* Full telephony & text
* eSim
* GPS
* Carl Zeiss cameras
* 8 gb ram
* 128 gb ssd with sd card expansion
* Just ONE model of the Surface Phone. No need for 650, 950, 950XL just one model.
* Price $799 - includes folio type cover, pen, and usb-c to hdmi adapter
* INCLUDED: Leather folio type-cover, tactile keys and kickstand built into the case
* INCLUDED: Surface Pen
* INCLUDED: usb-c to hdmi adapter
* INCLUDED: 1 year subscription of Office 365

Will it be the #1 selling phone of all time? Probably not. But it will sell... to both enterprise and consumer customers. And more importantly, like a proper Surface device it will inspire OEMs to build similar devices on Windows 10 for ARM.

Wait, so you mean like a PDA/mini laptop? One screen, as opposed to two like a notebook/courier?

Like this, sort of (more of a mini laptop/PDA that folds into a phone size)?
(This actually exists, btw it dual boots Linux and android)

View attachment 139343

As opposed to this (more of a tablet with stylus that folds smaller into a phone):

surface_folding_fan_render.jpg

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Stupid. Just plain stupid.

Even if it were a phone, it shouldn't run Android. There is no reason for Microsoft to release any device that doesn't run Windows.
- but it's not a phone.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I would have been happy for my 950XL to still have Win10M and be able to run some android apps I wanted massively. Nadella had it wrong in my opinion and it certainly would have allowed the windows phones to keep selling with an ever increasing userbase with that dual functionality.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the long-awaited Surface Phone is closer than ever. For a long time, the Surface Phone has generated more rumors than any other device without having lost the expectation. And lately those rumors have increased, including a hint by Panos Panay.

But, what will ensure the success of it?

Who will want to buy a Surface mobile device (that won't be cheap) without access to the modern apps? Who will buy it to replace a desktop pc? Who will buy it to carry two mobile devices (Andromeda Windows 10 and an Android or iPhone? I think no one would buy it, even long time MS supporters like me and many others. You may think that Microsoft will rely on PWA to close the gap between the Microsoft Store and Google and Apple apps stores. But that's not going to happen, at least in the near future, even with the big support from Google. In my opinion, even the Surface and Surface Pro lines will not survive if Microsoft don't do something quick.

And I would think that Microsoft knows that and they will not invest hundreds of millions on a product line that is destined to be DOA. So, I think that Microsoft is working on a surprise for everyone.

In recent months, I have noticed a closer integration with its services and Windows 10 with Android apps, the development of new applications, even for non-MS services, and the Android support on Windows 10 (I can't wait to try "Your Phone" currently under development and still non functional in Windows 10 build 17677). All these make me think that Microsoft is developing (or should develop) the Andromeda device with Android OS and will be heavily loaded with their apps and services, which makes a lot of sense to me, and that would ensure that the device is widely accepted and would guarantee its success. Even their OEM partners would follow them with new devices, because it will be a mature and productive system as well as entertainment.

I have been a strong supporter, follower and defender of Windows Mobile/Phone for long time (since my 2007
AT&T Tilt until my Lumia 950) and just a few months ago I jumped out of the sinking ship to buy a Samsung S8+ and now I realize all I was missing before and all that I am missing now, and that makes me desire a combination of both worlds.

I have my Samsung phone loaded with MS apps. I just installed Next on my Samsung (and I love it) and makes me feel closer to the Windows Mobile experience in regards to the notifications (Android notifications sucks). I was able to restore my WhatsApp backup from WM to Android (thanks to Nicola's WinWazzapMigrator), and also I transferred all my SMS to Android. I am still missing on Android the Anand Prakash's Converge app.

I am missing a lot my Lumia 950 and I can say that Windows Mobile is a lot superior to Android but it lacks the apps we want and need now. It is a shame that Microsoft did not listen to Ballmer when he proposed to allow Android apps to run natively on Windows Mobile 10, but now is maybe too late for that formula.

I will consider to buy an Andromeda device with Android OS and heavily loaded with all MS apps and with a like-WM experience.

My Andromeda flavor:
- Launcher10 as a launcher
- Outlook instead of the Android Contacts, Calendar and Mail.
- Next instead of Android Notifications.
- Edge instead of Chrome.
- I would be using Google Assistant until MS improves Cortana.
- Bing instead of Google Search and Google Maps.
- Google Play store.

Which other apps or modifications would you love on an Andromeda with Android? What do you think about it?

I will see a long life to Andromeda if MS uses android. What do you think? Does it makes sense to you?

NO!!! Or, more like HELL NO!!!!

Android is pure crap. I have several iPhone and Android devices, the last one I bought was the Galaxy S8, and I hate it, or rather its OS. I've tried using them both, and I end up choosing my 950XL and Windows mobile as my daily driver. I only pick the others from the drawer when I must have this or that app.

I admit, since around october last year using the 950XL as my main phone did become harder as I lost a couple of apps I used, and losing Groove for the usless Spotify app was another slap in the face. But, still, Windows mobile FTW.

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
first of all, i don't understand one point there's no big solid competitor (leave Apple) in the world for android. it's a huge opportunity Microsoft should think seriously in building Windows mobile platform and make it available for phone manufactures in aggressive manner. Once, Microsoft pushes phones in market than App. developers will come forward automatically. good damn it, I'm playing Asphalt 8 on 1 GB RAM Lumia 640 phone from past 8 months, it's just like f....... my dream girl through out my life.
I'm requesting Microsoft to think about it rather than continuum, UWP etc., etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
first of all, i don't understand one point there's no big solid competitor (leave Apple) in the world for android.

Samsung.

And if not them, there's plenty of less-sizable but still formidable operations jockeying for marketshare in the crowded phone arena.

But when people ask if you have "Apple or Samsung" you know the Korean group is a force to be reckoned with.

Long Xuyen

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Andromeda is closer than ever? Well, if it is coming then today must be closer than yesterday. From where I sit, MS has not done much product-wise in the last 2 years, so any progress would be significant.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
If it runs full windows 10, then it can have Chrome installed. That means it will have access to Android apps. No need to build an Android/windows device. That could hold people over until PWA's finally land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb