07-16-2018 11:13 PM
42 12
tools
    Hey Dan, looks like several websites are reporting today that Andromeda has been cancelled as part of the recent Windows division shake up. How accurate do you think those reports are? Is Andromeda’s form factor only likely to live on if Third Parties take up the mantle?
    DavidBS1989 and rodneyej like this.
    07-02-2018 07:02 PM
    Please, Dan, answer this.
    agmsr likes this.
    07-04-2018 04:52 AM
    It's interesting that the only MS related site not reporting this is Windows Central.
    07-04-2018 07:47 AM
    No.. WC only reports news they are very sure about. WC wants to get the facts right besides regurgitating what everyone else is saying. I agree that this is an interesting topic, but we shouldn't be asking for the same old story we've already heard 10 times. Let's wait for WC to give us thier take. Trust me, they are definitely looking into it.
    07-04-2018 09:37 AM
    For sure. I'm assuming we won't hear anything from WC until they feel they can make at least an educated guess
    Dani-L and rodneyej like this.
    07-04-2018 11:58 AM
    It's interesting that the only MS related site not reporting this is Windows Central.
    All About Windows reported it too. I first read about it on ZDNet because Mary Jo Foley is one of the few reporters who tells Microsoft news like it is.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    07-04-2018 01:33 PM
    Hopefully Windows Central can set the entire record straight.
    07-04-2018 09:14 PM
    Andromeda has not been canceled. It's only been delayed so that the company can ensure a better product when it is ready to be released.

Microsoft may cancel it in the future (as has always been the case,) but that hasn't happened yet.
    07-06-2018 11:01 AM
    Andromeda has not been canceled. It's only been delayed so that the company can ensure a better product when it is ready to be released.

Microsoft may cancel it in the future (as has always been the case,) but that hasn't happened yet.
    Thanks so much Zac. Now can you please also explain to the Doom-and-Gloom Society that Andromeda is not Windows 10 Mobile. It would go a long way to allay some misplaced fears among our brethren.
    07-06-2018 02:03 PM
    Thanks so much Zac. Now can you please also explain to the Doom-and-Gloom Society that Andromeda is not Windows 10 Mobile. It would go a long way to allay some misplaced fears among our brethren.
    But it is (almost) WM10. (Based on rumors, articles) WCOS is WM10 + RS5_UWP + CShell + Continuum v2 + pen support + [maybe] future support of desktop apps via virtualization.
    07-07-2018 05:25 PM
    But it is (almost) WM10. (Based on rumors, articles) WCOS is WM10 + RS5_UWP + CShell + Continuum v2 + pen support + [maybe] future support of desktop apps via virtualization.
    Yeah, I also think WCOS and Cshell started with W10M. The first (and only?) video of CShell is Zac's video from about a year ago and he was running it on a Windows phone. Using W10M as the starting point would make sense since they stopped working on W10M at the same time they were rumored to be working on WCOS, as if they had everyone switch from W10M to WCOS and Andromeda full time.
    Last edited by scoots37; 07-08-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    07-08-2018 12:08 AM
    So, if is not cancelled and just delayed. When can we expect it for release? Thank you.
    07-09-2018 06:33 AM
    Of course it'll be released. The current MS has to get into mobile, but this time get it all right the first time. From OEMS to developers to 5G readiness to battery life and always on connectivity. No half but products this time, no betas - they have to get major adoption and buy in from jump street. OEMS see an opportunity so they're on it. with both uwp and pwa, the app gap is shrinking. they have plenty of time for various use case scenarios and they already have significant and positive (free) buzz. Let's see if it truly a disruptive product (or family of products w/OEMs involved). Can't wait!
    07-09-2018 10:41 AM
    Actually, as I thought before, Microsoft may not have the effort of mass producing this device, or hasn't the slightest clue on the required volume. Would it count cancelling if partnered with HP or Dell to produce this device or equivalent for a start?
    07-09-2018 10:49 AM
    I ran out of time. I love my Lumia 950, and as long as I'm able to read email, send text, surf the web and take pictures, I was happy to hold on for Andromeda.

But in the last month, my phone has started rebooting when I try to take a picture. Last week, it started doing that when I clicked a link and it tried to open edge. So I've lost the web and picture taking functions.

I don't see myself buying a used 950 that'll fix anything, so I'm finally pushed out of Microsoft for a phone. And as expensive as things are, I'll stay with whatever I buy for 2 years minimum. Probably going to buy a Samsung S9 this week; not because I want to move away from Windows Phone, but because Windows Phone moved so far away from me it's exceedingly difficult to stay with it.
    azilgath likes this.
    07-09-2018 11:08 AM
    "The sky is falling!" How about let's just wait and see? (We have to anyway.)
    07-09-2018 11:10 AM
    show support for project andromeda would you buy one?

https://www.change.org/p/all-the-peo...e-or-andromeda
    GraniteStateColin likes this.
    07-09-2018 11:40 AM
    No, I don't think they will. Nor should they. It's an ultra-niche concept. It would poor as a phone and as a PC, doing neither very well. You can CALL something "pocketable" all you want, but unless you're wearing baggy pants or carrying a purse, uh-uh. But the thing is the OS itself is already user-spiteful on tablets, and they've killed the actual mobile SKU of the OS. I'm not surprised they don't have anything ready to do a split screen thing, especially at the size this Andromeda joke is alleged to be. I've said for a long time Microsoft needs to get SERIOUS about making Windows fully scalable and adaptable to whatever hardware. Similar to how Tablet Mode works, the OS should have a mode that changes either automatically or at user's discretion to fit the hardware. Sort of a Continuum in reverse. As the device gets smaller, the Start menu and that user experience becomes more emphasized by default. I actually think Windows 8--which was a MUCH better touch experience--would have lent itself to the Andromeda concept infinitely better, since it fully supported having the Start screen on one monitor and Metro or desktop apps on a second monitor. But Microsoft has done such a horrible job on W10 on touch devices that there's no way it would look decent, much less be user-friendly on something that's neither a phone nor a tablet. It's a fail from the start.
    azilgath likes this.
    07-09-2018 11:51 AM
    DRDiver, I believe you're conflating the front-end UI with the underlying OS. Windows 8 had a better touch UI than Windows 10 (I agree with you on that, but it also had a horrible mouse/keyboard UI in my opinion), but Windows 10 is a much more robust and flexible OS overall than 8. As long as part of what MS is doing now is making the UI great for touch and/or pen, maybe including getting it to work more like Windows 8, then I think they're in good shape.
    07-09-2018 12:05 PM
    Personally, I have no idea what Microsoft might do, but I would like to see this device released.
    Player Piano and rodneyej like this.
    07-09-2018 12:17 PM
    Hey Dan, looks like several websites are reporting today that Andromeda has been cancelled as part of the recent Windows division shake up. How accurate do you think those reports are? Is Andromeda’s form factor only likely to live on if Third Parties take up the mantle?
    If they cancel it, they're mad. Absolutely stark raving mad. All of the major mobile players are driving dual-screen mobile technology.

It won't be the last wave in mobile technology advancement, but it's certainly a significant wave, and this time round Microsoft should try to be a part of it.

Even delaying it is risky.
    frnlh likes this.
    07-09-2018 12:29 PM
    I think that with the PWA situation improving on a daily basis, and in a way that doesn't require extra development work, as well as Microsoft's plan to auto-index them and add them to the store, it will significantly cut down on the app-gap. (some people will still complain that it's not the same, but they will be there nonetheless) On top of that, if they were to either add ARM to Win32 emulation, or use a low power intel with Qualcomm radio (maybe even AMD's V1000 with a Qualcomm radio) and suddenly the app-gap is non-existent. Then the platform has a real chance...
    07-09-2018 12:30 PM
    I wouldn't think Microsoft would cancel this particular project because it actually is the one device that could change the personal and enterprise computer paradigm going forward. Do I think they would delay it? Yes. The reason is that there is too much riding on not being in this space by having a product that was not completely ready. For those who think that this is a "Niche" device, I beg to differ. I have prepared personal interviews with consumer and enterprise users alike by using a scenario based and questions that covered personal use as well as professional. Out of every person I interviewed not one person said that they could not use a device like Andromeda! I repeat, not ONE. I used specs that are speculative of course, being that we don't really know the form factor or specs. Even with that being said everyone that I have interviewed stated that they would consider purchasing and using a device like this as their main driver or in conjunction to what ever computing device they currently use. Another reason why I post this because I know that there will be those who reply to this post by stating this device is "DOA" or "fanboy this fanboy that" which I would reply, "Where is your boots on the ground facts?" After personally conducting my own survey, I am convinced that the "Andromeda" device is worth releasing.
    frnlh likes this.
    07-09-2018 12:59 PM
    OMG people calm down. When Windows core is mature enough we will get an Andromeda device. Be patient and just use your Androids and iPhones.
    Player Piano likes this.
    07-09-2018 01:33 PM
    I hardly use the tablet mode it makes me feel less productive
    07-09-2018 02:02 PM
42 12