Will You Upgrade to Lumia 1525 from 1520?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Did you know that pressing the camera button half way will focus the shot, then pressing it all the way will take the picture? It's just like a digital camera and I really like that feature.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmed and broar94 I really appreciate your views, but still you are missing one main point. I can take photos WITHOUT focusing directly on Lumia. Is it possible on iPhone? I don't think so, because a family member of mine owns one. Please clarify and tell your views. Now which is faster?Also,90% of the time the image is quite good even if I don't focus.

What do you mean by unfocused shots? I tried snapping a photo using my shutter button on Lumia 520 and it would always focus before taking a photo.

An unfocused photo would be either grainy or just plain blurry.

Plus if your fine with blurry/less detailed images why are we even comparing iPhone vs Lumia camera? Since your preference is on sheer speed and not on quality.

So for the sake of argument if I say believe what you say:

Your Lumia 620 can take an unfocused photo in less than a few seconds.

The iPhone 4S takes a focused shot but just takes a second extra for that.

So which is better? Plus 620 does have to focus before every shot and is not as fast as the rapid shooting on iPhone.

In addition to this I've studied Windows Phone cameras myself and the slow photo taking times aren't only because of slow focusing. I tried setting my focus before taking a photo on my 520 but even when focus is set the phone still takes about half a second to snap the photo. Plus since 920 and above have OIS they take even longer to snap a photo!

Current Lumia phones have both focusing and shutter speed problems, Nokia is trying to improve on that but I have no idea to what extent.

iPhone cameras are truly zero shutter delay cameras as they focus before you hit the shutter button and instantly snap a photo.

So your arguments are highly flawed.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by unfocused shots? I tried snapping a photo using my shutter button on Lumia 520 and it would always focus before taking a photo.

An unfocused photo would be either grainy or just plain blurry.

Plus if your fine with blurry/less detailed images why are we even comparing iPhone vs Lumia camera? Since your preference is on sheer speed and not on quality.

So for the sake of argument if I say believe what you say:

Your Lumia 620 can take an unfocused photo in less than a few seconds.

The iPhone 4S takes a focused shot but just takes a second extra for that.

So which is better? Plus 620 does have to focus before every shot and is not as fast as the rapid shooting on iPhone.

In addition to this I've studied Windows Phone cameras myself and the slow photo taking times aren't only because of slow focusing. I tried setting my focus before taking a photo on my 520 but even when focus is set the phone still takes about half a second to snap the photo. Plus since 920 and above have OIS they take even longer to snap a photo!

Current Lumia phones have both focusing and shutter speed problems, Nokia is trying to improve on that but I have no idea to what extent.

iPhone cameras are truly zero shutter delay cameras as they focus before you hit the shutter button and instantly snap a photo.

So your arguments are highly flawed.
Haha, Now I'm beginning to doubt whether you really have a Windows phone or not! Are we having this argument at all?! First buy a Lumia, take a photo and then talk to me. If you press the button fully(not half press) it takes a photo instantly without focusing.The default setting is infinity.And in case you dont know physics,any image taken with the focus at infinity is sharp and detailed,except of course,macro photography. How else would you explain fixed focus camera phones having crystal clear images!? Quit trolling and get your facts right before telling me that my arguments are wrong.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Omg..this iPhone nut is so retarded. Has he ever used a Lumia 1520? Even my 520 was fantastic DVD quality when I filmed a wedding. So you can imagine what the camera is like. When I press the camera I don't need to focus or make any adjustments. And apple is clearly following Lumia...think the different colored iPhones gave that away. Fingerprint scanner? No thanks as I heard that fingerprints was stored on files for any criminal activity for the government. And what about builders using iPhones? Mixing cement and glue on stuff...gets on your fingers....cant unlock the phone now with the scanner. IPhone is useless.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Omg..this iPhone nut is so retarded. Has he ever used a Lumia 1520? Even my 520 was fantastic DVD quality when I filmed a wedding. So you can imagine what the camera is like. When I press the camera I don't need to focus or make any adjustments. And apple is clearly following Lumia...think the different colored iPhones gave that away. Fingerprint scanner? No thanks as I heard that fingerprints was stored on files for any criminal activity for the government. And what about builders using iPhones? Mixing cement and glue on stuff...gets on your fingers....cant unlock the phone now with the scanner. IPhone is useless.

Wow..well I'm not retarded and use a 1520, and can say that the camera on a iPhone 5s takes some excellent pictures and is just as easy to use as mine. Same for video...

The auto focus isn't the greatest on mine and it's low light video leaves a lot to be desired.

In the end it's all up to the individual which they prefer and which they can utilize better.

Calling someone retarded because they prefer one over the other just shows your own ignorance

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
First of all what makes you think it was you I was on about? But well done... You just showed your own ignorance. Good job there

I knew full well who you were talking to....and that point is irrelevant. What does matter is your comments because of their respective preferences for using a iPhone camera.

Apparently you don't have the cognitive skills to have a adult conversation without resorting to making derogatory fanboyism remarks..

So,if you ever grow up mentality feel free to respond in a worthwhile manner

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow iPhone fans are annoying. Never would I go into a thread titled "get the 5S or wait for iPhone 6" and go "get the Lumia 930".

Anyways, OP, unless you really need the latest and greatest specs, I'd say get the 1520.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how your Lumia 620 does it but no matter how hard I press the shutter my Lumia 520 doesn't take a photo without focusing however even if it did, much of what you've said would still be wrong.

Fixed focus camera sensors have never been known to provide very amazing images, they often lack in detail one way or the other but that's not the only thing. I used to have an HTC Pico which had a fixed focus sensor, now it should've taken photos instantly right? Since it had no focusing to do but the phone still had a considerable shutter delay, similar to what is present on a lot of Windows Phones(but not as severe).

But back to your point, when you force the camera to take a photo faster by pressing the shutter button all the way the phone bumps up ISO and let's in less light to hit the sensor, so this method of yours to take "unfocused shots" would essentially mean taking mediocre shots(compared to your camera's full potential). The longer you give the camera to stabilize and focus the more light gets into the sensor and it has to use less ISO, so you would get more detailed shots, this is especially true for low-light photography.

After HTC Explorer I got Xperia S, which had a stellar camera for it's time and it utilized the single-shot focusing method and when I compared it to my cousin's 4S the 4S would consistently take faster photos. I could deny the fact all that I wanted, I would often justify my camera performance stating that my Xperia S had a 12 megapixel camera and give other reasons as well.

At the moment I believe iPhone is probably the only in the industry utilizing continuous focus however most Android OEMs have reached a point where they have perfected speed in their top devices, using different methods. The Snapdragon 800(and 801) being used in most high end devices today has the ability to take photos upto 21 Megapixels, so what different OEMs do is:

HTC One has 4 Megapixel camera so generally the processor takes very fast photos, because of the low res camera. Samsung Galaxy S5 and LG G3 have dedicated sensors(Isocell and Laser) to ensure faster photos. Nokia is the only one behind, we have phones equipped with very amazing cameras however no dedicated software or hardware to get the speed required to take better photos.

The iPhone 5S does indeed deliver better performance in the camera due to many reasons but mainly because of the lower megapixel count and the continuous focusing.

The more detailed reason for this is that Lumia Pureview cameras come equipped with OIS and like letting in as much light as possible so if you have shaky hands, Lumia is not the place to go. The phone clearly favors a slower shutter instead of a faster one. I've managed to take some pretty stellar photos even with my low-end Lumia 520 but most of them were due to tweaking before taking a photo, I could help you if you want some tips in mobile photography.

Nokia still has a lot of work to do, first of all they need to increase the Nokia Camera's startup time, last I checked Lumia 1520 takes around 1 - 2 seconds to open the camera, and I'm pretty sure it takes a few extra seconds to take the photo. Whereas in iPhone the camera opens in around 0.5 to 1 second and is ready for taking lightning fast photos maybe in about 0.5 seconds more.

However with the Cyan update I would imagine the situation will improve drastically but sadly most of those updates are only coming for the recently released high end Lumia range, but I believe maybe with Cyan Lumia 1520 may be able to outperform the iPhone 5S in photography. In the current state, I don't think so.

I would also like to point out the lowest ISO 1520 can reach is ISO 100 whereas iPhone can reach ISO 32, I hope Cyan adds a lower ISO, I hope.

I've really had fun arguing with you. You've raised some amazing points. I think we should keep in touch on twitter.

Sent from my SVF15218SGB using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

I swear S Vaibhav has seriously studied a lot about Windows Phone and has raised some pretty good points, I have no idea where you came in from? You don't even have the slightest knowledge about either photography or the mobile industry.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any stupider you mention that cement stuff, seriously you continue to break human boundaries of stupidity.

BilalSoomro17

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Calm down People. I just Checked But I do say when IPhone 5 Is little faster than My Nokia Lumia 920 but I don't have Nokia Camera. I Have Nokia Camera Beta and it have I think Same time to open as IPhone 5 you guys can check that but IPhone than Picture faster than Nokia. Nokia First Focus in about 1 Second not sure than it takes pic

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how iPhone became the focus of this thread, but I guess OP has things under control. I was hoping for more input on the 1525 vs. 1520 comparison as that is an interesting upgrade decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes