Outlook 2013 Multiple Email Accounts = Duplicates

anon(580888)

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I use Outlook 2013 at work (Exchange email) and I added my Outlook (formerly Hotmail) personal email as well, expecting to be able to seamlessly manage 2 profiles. Alas, that's not the case as I get duplicates from my personal email into my work email.

I also have Exchange set up on my android phone, and see the duplicates popping up there. How do I fix this? Do I need to set up multiple Outlook profiles? I want to live out of Outlook desktop and have migrated to all Microsoft products, but this is making it a bit frustrating.

My assumption is the following:

• one Outlook profile = 2 accounts (work & personal)
  • one email loads into Outlook 2013 desktop, regardless of address, and that gets sent to my Android device because it's all on one profile (I'd separate the profiles, but then I'd have to choose a profile during Outlook startup, which is ridiculous)
  • Android device loads everything into singular email client, because it's not smart enough to split things out
  • Exchange gets confused and reloads that personal email into my work sent, even though it clearly has a separate email address
  • 1 email now shows in my personal sent and my work sent

Let me know if the above is plausible in any way. It's definitely bothersome from a privacy perspective as personal emails are getting loaded into my work PST, and only fuels my desire to move onto a Windows Phone.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand this.

I have in my desktop Outlook 2013, exchange account and Microsoft account (outlook.com). I have no problems. Both emails come to their own folders.

Do you somehow forward/move the outlook.com emails to you exchange inbox in you desktop outlook? That would cause them to be duplicated in to all devices of course.

anon(580888)

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. I have work email, and an Android phone with Exchange activesync on. The ONLY thing I did was add an additional account to Outlook 2013 so I'd have my personal email. That's when the craziness happened.

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide that can sort this mess out.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Under account settings, look at the data files tab. You should have two data files, one for exchange and one for outlook personal. if you do, look at the folders on the left by clicking the little folder icon at the bottom left. You should see two sets of email folders.

anon(580888)

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Under account settings, look at the data files tab. You should have two data files, one for exchange and one for outlook personal. if you do, look at the folders on the left by clicking the little folder icon at the bottom left. You should see two sets of email folders.

Definitely have the two folders. I genuinely believe it has something to do with Android. Was hoping someone had experienced something similar. Friends I've spoken to that have Windows phones don't run into this issue. Considering I'll be getting my SP3 in 16 agonizing days, and my job uses Windows, I need to take the plunge into Windows Phone already (McLaren Phone, hurry up!!)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
There's many bits of the setup.
If I've read it right, first thoughts are that one Account or the other is delivering mail to the incorrect Inbox. That's configurable in the account settings part or Outlook.
It's definitely possible - my Outlook's hooked up to an Exchange, Outlook.com, Office 365 and Gmail account, all with mail arriving as it should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99