Which phone to buy?

Quicky

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Having been with Windows Phone since 2010, I'm moving on when my contract express in a couple of months. I don't want to whine about why I'm leaving the platform, but essentially it's because in my opinion Windows Phone is getting steadily worse, not better. However, I'm keen to keep using Microsoft services. I use OneDrive heavily, have an Outlook account, a Surface Pro and an Xbox 360. Can anyone advise me whether I should go for an iPhone or an Android phone based on how integrated or not the various Microsoft services are (eg auto upload of photos to OneDrive). I have no platform bias over the two, but little experience with either, and I won't be considering another WinPho. Opinions welcome!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Go for iPhone because there are many apps which are polished official apps. Also iOS 7/8 host lot of new features. If you can wait for the iPhone 6 it would be more better because it will support new SoC (A8) with more new features which are yet to be unveiled later this year. Android is fine but there is lot of fragmentation , lag in android devices.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, since you've established that you won't be staying w WP...

I haven't used either iPhone or Android. My WP is my first smartphone. Having said that, if I were contemplating Android vs Apple choices...

Android offers less expensive devices. You could pick up an Android to test drive, and not experience a lot of pain if you like it even less than WP. One exception: It's my understanding that the Amazon Fire is built on the Android open source and thus lacks some of the functionality of Google's hybrid. I've also seen frequent reports of security issues, but you a can research that issue and decide for yourself. Google doesn't seem to be too keen on playing well with Microsoft, but others can provide first hand reports of Android/OneDrive. Be aware that built-ins will likely default to Google Drive.

Apple is spendy, but you know that. Check the specs because things you take for granted, like USB connections, require accessories. Apple may have given in on that issue on newest models. Chargers, headphones, even the stylus, is completely Apple-unique interface. So you'll have to add those costs to the cost of your shiny new iPhone.

Unless your contract has you grandfathered in with a killer data plan, you might even look at going prepaid for a few months while you test drive phones. You won't be locked in to a phone you may not like, and you might even get a schmooze bonus from your carrier if you reenlist.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't recommend iphone as mine died for no reason. Didn't het wet, didn't get dropped. The side buttons began to fail and it was under 18 months old. Checked apples website and for a technician to call me for an "over the phone" call apple wanted to charge me ?70. JUST FOR THEM TO CALL ME!!! so much for customer service. Apple can screw themselfs

Quicky

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've got a couple of months yet, so I reckon the test driving of other phones is a good idea. If anyone else has any input into their experiences with Microsoft services on other platforms, I be grateful to hear them.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon