Lumia 1520 Weak WiFi after 8.1 Update

W

WPCentral Question

I received a refurbished Phone from AT&T about the time Windows Phone 8.1 was released.

I updated the phone to 8.1. Now my Wi-Fi is terribly weak and slow. I can stand next to my wireless router and only get 3 bars of Wi-Fi.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it the phone or the Update?

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The reset did not work. The Wi-Fi remains poor.
The Wi-Fi is so poor, in fact, my backup failed and I was unable to login to my Windows account when connected to Wi-Fi. So I reset again and just used AT&T LTE to restore the backup and that worked OK.

But Wi-Fi remains weak.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I just tried that and I cannot get the Phone to show Full Wi-Fi bars.

I did verify that I am able to do downloads and browse.

Someone suggested the Wi-Fi indicator may not be displaying correctly. I think I will try a Wi-Fi manager app.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
1520_Wi-Fi_Speedtes.png

Here are the speedtest results. This is really pointing to the indicator functioning differently in 8.1.

This user describes the experience I am describing here at this link.http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/278671-wifi-indicator.html

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, I decided to send the phone back to rule out defective hardware.

It disconnects on my second floor which is very close to the Wi-Fi router.

So the second issue is the random disconnections and the first is the weak signal strength.

We will see if the new phone is any different.

Rusi Polihronov

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I just bought Lumia 930. Great phone and expensive. But Wifi is problem. Did not expect this at all. Weak signal and can not pick up automaticlally the wifi. If it is further than 3m situation is helpless. My Q10 has contact with wifi 50m away, Nokia 930 5m.
Looking toward solution
from Microsoft. This is not acceptable for 600eur phone.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The problem has been resolved by a new phone.

AT&T sent me a replacement device, this time in a plastic sleeve instead of a bubble envelope and the Wi-Fi works great!

I am so glad this was not a problem with the Windows 8.1 update or the majority of Nokia 1520's.

So I recommend from my limited experience to attempt a warranty exchange if you have the Weak Wi-Fi problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital