OneDrive on two devices with same Microsoft Account

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I are both running the WP8.1 Dev Preview on our Lumia Icon's. We are both using the same Microsoft account since we share all of our contacts, calendars which we want to retain. The one issue that we have encountered is with OneDrive. I have my OneDrive configured to automatically backup my photos over WiFi and use my OneDrive app frequently. When my wife opens her OneDrive, it is not displaying any of the folders and is complaining about being connecting to a network. I tried both the WiFi and cellular networks and it still does not display any folders on her OneDrive app. I configured her phone to automatically upload photos to OneDrive over WiFi and it is not uploading files. When I manually upload files over WiFi to OneDrive it does work, but the pictures are dumped in the root and it doesn't give me any options on where to put the files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
With OneDrive I think it works by using the email so you may have to set her main email as yours (basically you need to register an email to use OneDrive) this is just a guess but hopefully someone may confirm or correct it soon. Do keep us updated tho as we are here to help one another *smile*

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We have our two phones (8.0, 8.1, and an 8.1 PC) set up exactly the same way (all signed in using the same MS account) but none of the devices have automatic upload. I can tell you, though, all our OneDrive apps and file views always match once they sync. The email suggestion may be right, or maybe there's an overlooked setting.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions...I might try a reset of the device and see if that clears it up since OneDrive is built into WP8.1 now. I signed in with the same credentials on both devices. I am also having trouble with Skype since we are both using the same account we are technically not able to video call each other. Starting to wonder if a joint account is worth it.

A.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I share an account. There at both pros and cons to doing it both ways. I've thought about switching to two separate accounts many times. In the end I always default to having the same account. We don't have any problems with OneDrive though. Im on 8.1 DP and my wife is on 8.0.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
For us the benefits of shared calendar, contacts, and OneDrive outweigh the cons, especially when we can have separate email accounts, such as outlook.com and yahoo.

It's hard to believe there isn't a way to use Skype the way you want to. Maybe if she gets a separate MS account that you only use for Skype, if that's even possible. Have you brought this up on the MS Skype forums?

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
For us the benefits of shared calendar, contacts, and OneDrive outweigh the cons, especially when we can have separate email accounts, such as outlook.com and yahoo.

It's hard to believe there isn't a way to use Skype the way you want to. Maybe if she gets a separate MS account that you only use for Skype, if that's even possible. Have you brought this up on the MS Skype forums?

Have you looked into the family room features? It gives you the ability to have a synced calendar, photos, and OneNotes with as many people as you want.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't, since our setup works well. The other advantage sharing one account is we only have to pay for apps once. We've got a couple birding apps and they're expensive!

Thanks for the tip, though; it sounds like a good option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon