English cortana

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys/girls got 8.1 with cyan and on the giffgaff network (owned by O2) but haven't got the English Cortana yet (not on DP 8.1) anyone else received it yet. Don't want the American one as no point teaching Cortana my life style only to delete it and start again on the English version. Any feedback will be great

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cortana comes as part of WP8.1 GDR1, which is only available for developer preview people at this time. If you're in with the DP, you'll need to go into your "Preview for Developers" app and make sure the magic tickbox is ticked. And then settings->update is your gateway to infinite joy.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
As Cortana is part of GDR1, it will most likely be a few months before it will be available to non-preview users when GDR1 reaches "gold" or "general availability" stage, which comes after RTM.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update guys. Been away from the WPcentral a few days and typing in Cortana on the search button brings up endless threads. I did have the DP but used Nokia recovery just so I can get cyan. Look forward to receiving Cortana. In the mean time I am using indigo as a replacement

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Technically speaking, all of Cortana is English, the only non-English Cortana apart from China.

Double technically speaking, the Chinese Cortana is Xiao No, so all of Cortana is currently English....

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Technically speaking, all of Cortana is English, the only non-English Cortana apart from China.

Double technically speaking, the Chinese Cortana is Xiao No, so all of Cortana is currently English....

The OP was speaking of "English Cortana" as opposed to "American Cortana", indicating location rather than language.

It's important to differentiate between the UK and England, using each term correctly, particularly for those of us in the UK who aren't in England.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
So you can cheer her up?

Well, there's that, but that is what jumpleads are for.

I'm was originally going to get a 1520 in a couple of months but I feel having a service called Cortana is a bit pointless without the correct voice. If the one we have is one I can get used to (and have heard of), I'll most likely stick with it. If not, then my 620 will get relegated to backup phone and the replacement will more than likely be a Jolla (I feel less guilty with that because it's a Nokia at heart, even though it isn't an actual Nokia).

I'm aware that jumping ship for that sole reason is a bit drastic and pants, but for a fair few, it's going to be a dealbreaker and I really CBA messing with switching to US settings to get the right voice (purely setting English (US) for speech breaks UK Cortana), and messing about with installing apps from the website (ie having to change it from UK to US in order to do it).

But back to the OT. :smile:

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, there's that, but that is what jumpleads are for.

I'm was originally going to get a 1520 in a couple of months but I feel having a service called Cortana is a bit pointless without the correct voice. If the one we have is one I can get used to (and have heard of), I'll most likely stick with it. If not, then my 620 will get relegated to backup phone and the replacement will more than likely be a Jolla (I feel less guilty with that because it's a Nokia at heart, even though it isn't an actual Nokia).

I'm aware that jumping ship for that sole reason is a bit drastic and pants, but for a fair few, it's going to be a dealbreaker and I really CBA messing with switching to US settings to get the right voice (purely setting English (US) for speech breaks UK Cortana), and messing about with installing apps from the website (ie having to change it from UK to US in order to do it).

But back to the OT. :smile:

Same here. Its to much hassle to switch all the settings again and go back to DP just for Cortana. I will just wait. Not in a great need to have it but just be nice when it finally cones round

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon