Lumia 520 screen broken

W

WPCentral Question

Last weekend I dropped my Lumia 520, after that I made a joke about the floor being broken because its a nokia. After that I found out that there was a crack in the screen, and half of the screen wasnt responding to my touch (only the right side of the crack). What part do I have to replace? I am being told that it costs 60,- euro by a retailer, but I think it can get much cheaper than that, if I do it myself. I also think he is going to replace way more than I need.

Jonno

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't even see it being worth repairing unless for some reason that phone is way more expensive in Europe than it is in the US. I know 60 euro is close to $80 usd, but the phone itself is like $40-50 usd new lol

Jonno van der klis

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! I am still under 18, so my mom said if the repar costs are to high, she wanted to buy a new phone (No, I am not a spoiled child, I need to be able to contact anybody anywere) But this might save her a lot of money!

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I recommend buying a new phone. Replacement digitizers will begin to fail. Especially with newer firmware (Cyan). I say this out of experience with my L820. Exception might be if you repair it through Nokia but I suspect it'd be cost-unproductive, and they might suggest just buying a new 520

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Replacement digitizers will begin to fail. Especially with newer firmware (Cyan).

I'm going to advocate the opposite here. If, and only if the cost makes sense should you immediately jump to replacement.

You can't say every replacement digitizer will fail, since OEM parts don't really fail after being installed in the factory. It's the knockoff cheapo parts that cause problems. (I consider such things higher risk, for a higher return - if they work fine, terrific, youve saved money, if not, oh well you've lost the gamble)
I haven't seen much indicating the firmware overly affects hardware.

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to advocate the opposite here. If, and only if the cost makes sense should you immediately jump to replacement.

You can't say every replacement digitizer will fail, since OEM parts don't really fail after being installed in the factory. It's the knockoff cheapo parts that cause problems. (I consider such things higher risk, for a higher return - if they work fine, terrific, youve saved money, if not, oh well you've lost the gamble)
I haven't seen much indicating the firmware overly affects hardware.

Hi xandros

Yea I was referring specifically to the cheap digitizers like those on ebay. Their price is awesome but they seem to be causing a lot of ghost touching or simple unresponsiveness. Here's a recent thread about a guy with a replacement digitizer having problems after updating to 8.1/Cyan http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-720/311724-lumia-720-touch-screen-dead.html I suspect a proper digitizer installed through Nokia will perform better (and be guaranteed under warranty) but they're generally $100+ (and depending on the phone).

@OP you could buy a cheap digitizer and install it yourself. Might be a good learning experience more than anything, and if it works then even better

Chris_kosmidis

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I've just encountered the same problem with Jonno...My brother's L520 screen broke just a little bit at the bottom and since then, the whole screen is unresponsive..Did you replace it, after all?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos