How do I make sure that all the Data is wiped off my phone before I sell it?

ksayeds

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Data recovery issue

Hi,
I am selling my phone. I have been using it intensively (photos, videos, and personal office docs.) How do I make sure that all files will not be restored?
1-I need a shredding app . a reliable one.
2-Data recovery software ; to check after the shredding if there will be any restorable data.

Thx all for help!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Data recovery issue

Either do a hard reset or use Nokia Software Recovery Tool. Both will wipe the phone clean.

I don't think any data recovery software will recognise WP. I could be wrong.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Resetting the phone re-writes the disk. Because of how windows phone is sandboxed for each app, if you install an app, it can't read data from other partitions. When it's connected via USB, it's not a USB drive, it's doing a file type transfer to show you available files, not a disk level file access. Backup your data and hard reset, or hard reset a few times, copy some silly large music or videos onto it and the delete.

ksayeds

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
Thank you all for the replies.

Well, to be more accurate, here is what I did:
1-I made a phone reset (settings/about/phone reset) ===>Is this the hard reset that you mean???
2-I copied enormous amount of audio files and two large video files (1 GB/each) to the phone. The space left was as low as 32KB so that I could not actually start any app unless I deleted some audio files.
3-I went to music app so that the device would recognise the audio files (I guess was unnecessary)
4-I made another phone reset (settings/about/phone rest)
5-Tonight I will turn cam on until tomorrow morning to record a video in a dark place, that video will consume the full space
6-I will make another reset

**My question: Is that enough? Do I need to do more...if yes what should I ?

Thx again :smile::smile:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

You are more than fine. I'm not an engineer with MS, but I know a bit about how it's working and I can't come up with a way, other than pulling out the flash chips and mounting them, that you could do file level scans on the disks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss