Say what... Which phones need to be constantly reset???? And talking about instability HELLO ANDROID!... I have a 1320 which only has a dual core processor and 1gb ram... even my 625 had dual core and 512mb ram and both phones kill my Samsung Galaxy Grad 2 duos in pretty much ever aspect and the Galaxy is running quad core & 1.5gb ram and that phone has crashed, reset, overheated itself more times than I can remember. Never have any issues with either of my Windows phones for soft/hard resets... If you are having problems, I would say that it sounds more like a bad SD card issue if anything.
    11-08-2014 10:40 PM
    I can honestly say that, whatever the app situation is, there's a sense of fun I have using Windows Phone. Just an odd feeling of positive feedback as I navigate it. I get much the same sense using Windows 8.1/RT. Things are just colorful and interactive and I enjoy it for its own sake.
    Karthik Naik and Silence#WP like this.
    11-08-2014 10:57 PM
    Say what... Which phones need to be constantly reset???? And talking about instability HELLO ANDROID!... I have a 1320 which only has a dual core processor and 1gb ram... even my 625 had dual core and 512mb ram and both phones kill my Samsung Galaxy Grad 2 duos in pretty much ever aspect and the Galaxy is running quad core & 1.5gb ram and that phone has crashed, reset, overheated itself more times than I can remember. Never have any issues with either of my Windows phones for soft/hard resets... If you are having problems, I would say that it sounds more like a bad SD card issue if anything.

Even my 1320 is working fine. Those "Android problems" you told are not uncommon.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-08-2014 11:44 PM
    If someone isn't a hard-core gamer, he should go with WP. If someone desires those specific apps/games not available in WP, only then he should go for other OS. Otherwise WP is good.

No OS is perfect, every OS has its limitations, but after using WP7.5, 7.8, 8, 8.1, I can proudly say that WP is the one with less issues. (I've never had issues with WP uptil now).

New apps/games come to WP everyday. The app quality is improving. So WP is overall a good OS.

Sent from my dark knight 1320
    Last edited by psoham777; 11-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-08-2014 11:53 PM
    I too am looking into a WP to try out, I currently have Android and iOS and having Cortana integration with the Band is a big draw for me at the moment, just can't figure out what device to get if I'm dabbling with this OS.
    11-09-2014 12:46 AM
    I too am looking into a WP to try out, I currently have Android and iOS and having Cortana integration with the Band is a big draw for me at the moment, just can't figure out what device to get if I'm dabbling with this OS.
    1) Which carrier are you on?
    2)How big a screen do you like?
    3) Do you play a lot of games?
    4) What do you typically use your phone for?
    5) What are you using now, and what do you like about it?

Those questions will help guide you.
    11-09-2014 01:19 AM
    A big one for me is Dropbox. Yes, I know there is OneDrive and I use it as well but I use Dropbox too. But I see that MS just signed a deal with Dropbox the other day so that app will be coming in a few months. The other thing for me is how can MS not have Office for its own devices? What I mean by that is how can it not have at least what it offers for iOS and Android or better. These don't sway me and I really like what I see when I watch Windows Phone videos here.

I have 2 questions for those in the "know". Will the processor in the 830 hurt me in the future as far as upgrades or apps (as far as one can know)? Also, what do you guys use for Audiobooks? I listen to m4b's now and can easily convert them to mp3's but I want to make sure there is an app that will handle them and save where I left off and will said app save this data (chapter info) for more than one book at a time. Thanks in advance.
    For dropbox, you can use third party apps while you wait for the official app. Its not idea but some are really really good. I would suggest Cloudsix or Cloudmesh. I can't personally vouch for them because I only use one drive but those I know that use them to like them.

There is office for Windows Phone. However, it's not as features rich like say iOS because unlike on iOS its not an app. Its built into the OS and therefore not very easy to update. A new version is expected with Windows 10.

The processor shouldn't affect the apps. Some feature will not be supported however on future updates e.g Hey Cortana (hands free activation) which requires a Snapdragon 8xx processor.

There's Audiobook Player. I don't listen to audiobooks (my mind just wanders) so I don't use it. It seems to do what you need though.
    11-09-2014 01:30 AM
    Personally I would go for the cheaper option however if you spend a lot of time gaming and don't really care about fine pixel detail from your photos get the One M8, never the less games will run on the 830 however you will only notice the difference if you compare them side by side.

Also if you pick up the 830 you do have the option of MixRadio which is I feel is greatly superior & more polished than the xbox music app. Furthermore the mixradio sub is also cheaper than the xbox music pass, however there is no MixRadio app on the xbox one and you need a sub for mixradio to get the full experience on Windows 8.x+ (the same will go for xbox music as well come December 2014, no more free music streaming). As your in the US you do have other decent alternatives, i.e pandora, spotify. (The other bonus for MixRadio is that it is completely ad-free )

Furthermore the 830 has perks the One M8 doesn't namely wireless charging, there were countless times where I used to fumble in the dark looking for my charging cable whereas now I can just drop it on my charging plate. Sure it is slower but as most people put their phone on charge before going to sleep and if you barely use your phone during the day then the difference in charge times will be hardly noticeable (since your going to be in a comatose state for several hours :P) .

Additionally, with the Lumia 830 you are essentially guaranteed support as the support will becoming directly from Microsoft where as with HTC.... they have been rather absent for their previous devices (same with Samsung). Hopefully this changes with One M8 but I'm not holding my breath.. given the store reps disdain for anything windows phone, which is really going to hamper One M8 sales compared to it's android variant.
    11-09-2014 01:32 AM
    Ignore the blind naysayers of windows phone,its a fine Phone OS and is very underestimated
    coming from ios to WP is a great change and wont be a radical change given similiar design elements for most apps
    WP sits right between android and ios and is not too open , not too closed
    it excels in alot of areas such as battery life,camera performance,optimisation,updates and premium build quality
    11-09-2014 01:44 AM
    lumia 830 is the phone to get right now. You even get wireless charging built in ! It even comes with a fitness band if you get it from some networks
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-09-2014 03:12 AM
    Nothing really that's just it.
    11-09-2014 03:21 AM
    I wrote a 500 words on how things are bad and you should not buy a Windows Phone right now, but then I realized I could sum it better, SATYA NADDELA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE, the one who cared was dear old Steve Ballmer ENOUGH SAID.
    11-09-2014 08:50 AM
    I wrote a 500 words on how things are bad and you should not buy a Windows Phone right now, but then I realized I could sum it better, SATYA NADDELA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE, the one who cared was dear old Steve Ballmer ENOUGH SAID.
    wow you just showed a bit of misconception right there
    did you know satya nadella was incharge of the enterprise,security and cloud divisions at microsoft earlier??
    thats the reason the cloud works so well with Windows Phone etc,its the reason people dont use Linux computers over Windows or OSX(microsoft products work well on OSX as well),its the reason windows phone is so secure
    i dont see why he doesnt care about windows phone when its only selling points in early stages were indirectly by his departments etc
    11-09-2014 09:45 AM

Nope, he cares hence now there would be no "asha series" or "nokia X" series. He took this step just to focus on WP. Just to prove my point wait until WP 10 arrives.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-09-2014 10:32 AM
    I'm in exactly the same boat, iPhone 4 and all. I was wondering if I should get a 735 or 635? I'm looking for a cheap, powerful and not-so-big phone.
    11-10-2014 10:52 AM
    you should get a 735 bro.
    11-10-2014 11:12 AM
    735 all the way
    11-10-2014 08:20 PM
    The problem with the 735 for me, and for the OP, is that we're both on AT&T.
    11-10-2014 08:51 PM
    The problem with the 735 for me, and for the OP, is that we're both on AT&T.
    Wait for 535 then
    11-10-2014 10:43 PM
    Nope, he cares hence now there would be no "asha series" or "nokia X" series. He took this step just to focus on WP. Just to prove my point wait until WP 10 arrives.
    Or Microsoft fired 18000 employee and the Nokia X/Asha made the cut. :) There's not increased focus on WP except to get cash off people in the holiday season then we'll get dumped like every other day of the year.
    11-21-2014 07:51 PM
    At the moment if you read articles there's nothing compelling about wp anymore hence low market share. On IOS an android you get ms apps which are better . It's a smooth os but that's it. if you use local apps ....forget it on WP.
    At least on android there so many awesome flagships to choose from. Alot of my friends have wanted to switch for a while and at one point I advocated for WP but I wanted to be honest with them since there my friends . Some I know would just not like the lack of device choices, if there's an app that they have on there current devices and not on WP i would not here the end of it . So I stopped. And maybe wait for this "windows 10" that's is suppose to "save" ms .
    And if it doesn't oh well at least out of my circle ill be the only pissed of WP customer. I wont drag my peeps in to this with out knowing for sure so yeah ill wait to hear about this "w10"
    11-21-2014 08:40 PM
    Kinda sad to see our own community deterring users from even considering Windows Phone. How will we ever succeed if can't even advocate some of its virtues without ******** about its shortcomings... *sigh*
    " the beatings will continue until morale improves"
    psiu_glen, Dazzi and RumoredNow like this.
    11-21-2014 08:43 PM
    .. Windows phone and its general community is a great example of a growing ecosystem with obvious growing pains with star potential however you as a consumer need to research what is it that matters to "you" not what others have. Research pros and cons then you will come to your conclusions. That simple
    oviedofreak82 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-21-2014 09:27 PM
    The main selling point for windows phone in my humble opinion is the beautiful is and Cortana. I was thinking about going to ios, and when I got to talking to a friend about the differences between ios and windows, I realized how good Cortana was and how important it was to my needs in a phone.
    11-21-2014 09:43 PM
    Yes.

I have an iPhone 4 and am looking to upgrade. I'm happy enough with Apple, but I'm a little annoying at feeling locked in to iTunes. I recently bought a Windows desktop and thought using a Windows Phone might integrate nicely with that. I'd love to hear feedback, in particular to the following:

1. I hear a lot about the lack of good apps for Windows Phone. Is this still a major issue or is the gap narrowing?

2. What app do most people use to listen to music (i.e., what is the replacement for iTunes)?

3. Is there synergy between a Windows desktop and Windows Phone that I will enjoy (as opposed to Windows desktop with an iPhone or Android)?

4. I'm on AT&T, so would you go with the Lumia 830 ($99 on contract and $449 off contract) or HTC One M8 ($199 and $669? I'm due (overdue, in fact) for an upgrade. But because Windows is a new OS for me, I was thinking of going off contract, in which case I'd opt for the Lumia 830. That way, if it doesn't work out, I can revert back to an iPhone 6 or Android flagship at the contract price.

All feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    12-29-2014 06:05 PM
75 123