Should I Buy a Windows Phone?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WPCentral Question

I have an iPhone 4 and am looking to upgrade. I'm happy enough with Apple, but I'm a little annoying at feeling locked in to iTunes. I recently bought a Windows desktop and thought using a Windows Phone might integrate nicely with that. I'd love to hear feedback, in particular to the following:

1. I hear a lot about the lack of good apps for Windows Phone. Is this still a major issue or is the gap narrowing?

2. What app do most people use to listen to music (i.e., what is the replacement for iTunes)?

3. Is there synergy between a Windows desktop and Windows Phone that I will enjoy (as opposed to Windows desktop with an iPhone or Android)?

4. I'm on AT&T, so would you go with the Lumia 830 ($99 on contract and $449 off contract) or HTC One M8 ($199 and $669? I'm due (overdue, in fact) for an upgrade. But because Windows is a new OS for me, I was thinking of going off contract, in which case I'd opt for the Lumia 830. That way, if it doesn't work out, I can revert back to an iPhone 6 or Android flagship at the contract price.

All feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I wrote a 500 words on how things are bad and you should not buy a Windows Phone right now, but then I realized I could sum it better, SATYA NADDELA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE, the one who cared was dear old Steve Ballmer ENOUGH SAID.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I wrote a 500 words on how things are bad and you should not buy a Windows Phone right now, but then I realized I could sum it better, SATYA NADDELA DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE, the one who cared was dear old Steve Ballmer ENOUGH SAID.

wow you just showed a bit of misconception right there
did you know satya nadella was incharge of the enterprise,security and cloud divisions at microsoft earlier??
thats the reason the cloud works so well with Windows Phone etc,its the reason people dont use Linux computers over Windows or OSX(microsoft products work well on OSX as well),its the reason windows phone is so secure
i dont see why he doesnt care about windows phone when its only selling points in early stages were indirectly by his departments etc

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Nope, he cares hence now there would be no "asha series" or "nokia X" series. He took this step just to focus on WP. Just to prove my point wait until WP 10 arrives.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope, he cares hence now there would be no "asha series" or "nokia X" series. He took this step just to focus on WP. Just to prove my point wait until WP 10 arrives.
Or Microsoft fired 18000 employee and the Nokia X/Asha made the cut. :) There's not increased focus on WP except to get cash off people in the holiday season then we'll get dumped like every other day of the year.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
At the moment if you read articles there's nothing compelling about wp anymore hence low market share. On IOS an android you get ms apps which are better . It's a smooth os but that's it. if you use local apps ....forget it on WP.
At least on android there so many awesome flagships to choose from. Alot of my friends have wanted to switch for a while and at one point I advocated for WP but I wanted to be honest with them since there my friends . Some I know would just not like the lack of device choices, if there's an app that they have on there current devices and not on WP i would not here the end of it . So I stopped. And maybe wait for this "windows 10" that's is suppose to "save" ms .
And if it doesn't oh well at least out of my circle ill be the only pissed of WP customer. I wont drag my peeps in to this with out knowing for sure so yeah ill wait to hear about this "w10"

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
.. Windows phone and its general community is a great example of a growing ecosystem with obvious growing pains with star potential however you as a consumer need to research what is it that matters to "you" not what others have. Research pros and cons then you will come to your conclusions. That simple

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The main selling point for windows phone in my humble opinion is the beautiful is and Cortana. I was thinking about going to ios, and when I got to talking to a friend about the differences between ios and windows, I realized how good Cortana was and how important it was to my needs in a phone.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes.

I have an iPhone 4 and am looking to upgrade. I'm happy enough with Apple, but I'm a little annoying at feeling locked in to iTunes. I recently bought a Windows desktop and thought using a Windows Phone might integrate nicely with that. I'd love to hear feedback, in particular to the following:

1. I hear a lot about the lack of good apps for Windows Phone. Is this still a major issue or is the gap narrowing?

2. What app do most people use to listen to music (i.e., what is the replacement for iTunes)?

3. Is there synergy between a Windows desktop and Windows Phone that I will enjoy (as opposed to Windows desktop with an iPhone or Android)?

4. I'm on AT&T, so would you go with the Lumia 830 ($99 on contract and $449 off contract) or HTC One M8 ($199 and $669? I'm due (overdue, in fact) for an upgrade. But because Windows is a new OS for me, I was thinking of going off contract, in which case I'd opt for the Lumia 830. That way, if it doesn't work out, I can revert back to an iPhone 6 or Android flagship at the contract price.

All feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon