Why isn't Cortana on my phone?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

I have a Nokia Lumia 520 ,updated my phone to windows 8.1, checked the news that it on the 520, and it also says It comes in the united kingdom but still doesn't work even if I am in the UK.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
re: Why isn't cortana on my phone?

See what happens if you change your region to the US. I did that on my 720 (which I had formerly) and I found Cortana available. Once it was on, I changed the region back to the UK and Cortana stayed in place...:>)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Also, you need Update 1, which isn't available for that model yet.

You can get onboard early with the Preview for Developers (I believe the UK is available)

or as said, you can change your region.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

The advert says "Some phones" so my boy just bought a new 930 and it has Cortana.

The Cortana update as mentioned is 8.1 update 1 and I believe it has been released to all the carriers but they can take a lot of time to release this to us, so I still don't have it on my 1520 and I have been waiting patiently for months now.

This is outwith Microsoft's control.

There are ways around it but I personally prefer to wait patiently.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why isn't cortana on my phone?

See what happens if you change your region to the US. I did that on my 720 (which I had formerly) and I found Cortana available. Once it was on, I changed the region back to the UK and Cortana stayed in place...:>)

I just tried that and Cortana was available, but when I reset all my regional settings back to the UK she disappeared, have you left anything as US like keyboard etc.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

OK changed region again and did a restart, no Cortana, changed language and did a restart and Cortana showed up.

Changed region back to UK but not language (Although it did say match language to region) and did a restart and Cortana disappeared again.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Played with it for a few minutes, sent an hilarious text to my daughter by using Cortana (I don't think she gets my accent), noticed neighbourhood was spelt wrong and my news was all US, so I have jumped back to the UK and will wait for her to come via the correct channel where hopefully my phones spelling is "Proper" English :wink:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Played with it for a few minutes, sent an hilarious text to my daughter by using Cortana (I don't think she gets my accent), noticed neighbourhood was spelt wrong and my news was all US, so I have jumped back to the UK and will wait for her to come via the correct channel where hopefully my phones spelling is "Proper" English :wink:

you don't like the murican freedom speak!?!
but yea, I guess this is why localization is a thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes