Why cannot my nokia lumia 635 be a wifi hotspot?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I recently bought this phone from cricket. I was to,d it could be a wifi hotspot, but it is looking like this isn't the case. There is no internet sharing under settings.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think greynightshirt misunderstood what you are asking for.

Your Lumia 635 absolutely should be able to become a hotspot and yes, Internet Sharing should be an entry on the settings list.

You will have to do a Factory Reset. Run a backup first to be able to restore during setup. If Internet Sharing does not appear after the reset, return the device to Cricket for replacement.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Window phone does support internet sharing"Wi-Fi hotspot"
I've read before some people got this option missing!!!
They fixed it by flashing another rom ..

Exactly! Windows phone does support internet sharing... Been using it for a long... Long time now.

Your hardware and most annoying is your cellular service has to support/allow it... Which is why some have had to flash their phone.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! Windows phone does support internet sharing... Been using it for a long... Long time now.

Your hardware and most annoying is your cellular service has to support/allow it... Which is why some have had to flash their phone.

My 1520 can become a hotspot... Not sure if its the high end Lumia that can do it or the fact I have that feature as I am in UK (usa doesn't have QI on 1520 but uk has)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This is interesting.

Recently on a trip out of the area I attempted to use sharing on my new T-Mobile 635.
It wasn't there under settings...my 925 has had it for as long as I can remember.

Bought the wife a T-Mobile 635 and never bothered to check the feature.
I did notice on her phone when we first fired it up it immediately updated.
My 635 never did this.

Now I've noticed that after I set my phone up for developer previews and after accepting the latest 14203.306 version.
I can share my data connection over Bluetooth and it's working.

Not sure what was going on here.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a 635 today... It can share internet... Just like my 1520, and my 920... Ans my 900... Carriers can restrict it... I use ATT and have no issues...
He is correct. It does not matter if the phone has an ability built in if a carrier doesn't want it used they will strip the feature for subsidized phones or just bill you if you use the feature on a phone you buy yourself. The "testing" carriers do for phone updates is exactly for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon