Upgrading from a Lumia 900, where to now?

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I I have had the Nokia Lumia 900 for around 1 1/2 years or so. I have been quite happy with it but without the update I am now struggling. I usually text, email, facebook (web not the windows version), Google, take a few pictures of the kids, make calls, bluetooth, skype. I don't do anything . fancy. I would really like a larger screen than the lumia 900 but I would like to still be able to put it in my pocket. I really like the 930 but it's a bit out of my price range. What have people progressed from after the 900? Thanks!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I I have had the Nokia Lumia 900 for around 1 1/2 years or so. I have been quite happy with it but without the update I am now struggling. I usually text, email, facebook (web not the windows version), Google, take a few pictures of the kids, make calls, bluetooth, skype. I don't do anything . fancy. I would really like a larger screen than the lumia 900 but I would like to still be able to put it in my pocket. I really like the 930 but it's a bit out of my price range. What have people progressed from after the 900? Thanks!

Have you considered the Lumia 830? It's a lot of bang for your buck in my country :p

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If on a low budget get the Nokia Lumia 735. Its got 1gb ram and a good processor, so is fast. It's not too big, smaller than the 930. It has a great 5mp front facing camera for those selfies and skype calls. Has a good 6.7mp main camera. It also has a very similar build/design to the 900 - very thin and light.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What would be the main 3 or so that I could choose from? The 925 is a good price here but will it do what I want? Will I be left behind in 12 months time?

nah, at the least you'll be left behind in 2016, but we don't know, support could continue past that. I wouldn't worry about support, I'd worry about more immediate things like battery life and the camera.
All the Lumia's do basic functions, the question is more "how well?"

I would say:
Lumia 830 (my personal recommendation)
Lumia 735 (another fine option, one I wouldn't have problems using)

Lumia 92x (The 920 and 925 are still very capable - I have a 920, they aren't overly different on the inside)

Notable:
Lumia 1020 (basically a 920 with that insane camera you've probably heard about - the 920/5's snapper is still not one to sneeze at)

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Why is choosing a mobile phone so difficult!! I first had to decide windows or Android, now I need to pick a phone! So in laymans terms what are main differences between the 920's, the 830 and the 930? I need it to bluetooth, use it as a wifi hot spot (I only use my phone for internet) and the normal pictures etc....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why is choosing a mobile phone so difficult!! I first had to decide windows or Android, now I need to pick a phone! So in laymans terms what are main differences between the 920's, the 830 and the 930? I need it to bluetooth, use it as a wifi hot spot (I only use my phone for internet) and the normal pictures etc....

All do those functions.

The 920 was the top-of-the-line phone of 2012, even now its not bad at all.
Battery life is probably not as great as the other two. (battery is non-replaceable unlike the other two)
Camera is excellent, although I don't know for sure if its worse than the 830 (likely)
32 GB of storage in the 920, typically 16 in the 925 - no microSD in either

The 830 is a very recent addition to the Lumia lineup. Compared to the 920, its not a drastic upgrade on paper, but its a small step up generally. (16 GB storage + microSD)
Performance is comparable.
5" display compared to the 920's 4.5". (same pixel count i believe as well)

the 735 is a runner up.
has a 4.7" display (no Glance, although you won't miss it, since the 900 didn't have it), no camera button unlike the other two, and the main camera isn't as great as either.
The FFC however is better.
it has virtual buttons like many Android phones.
battery life is better I hear, but I don't know by how much.
Performance should be the same as the 830.
8 GB + microSD

all three are different in terms of design and feel, but that's easier to look up.
I know I missed spots, but I'm pressed for time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon