Anyone ever see C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe A referral was returned from the server error?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Anyone ever see "C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe A referral was returned from the server" error

I have always been able to use the onscreen keyboard but after the last windows update I get this error every time I try to run it. Windows 7 64bit

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone ever see "C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe A referral was returned from the server" error

From this help thread... It looks like a buggy update. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cwindowssystem32oskexe-a-referral-was-returned/a0907685-da69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Remove
KB3004394 from Windows Updates and restart. It has caused numerous issues.
Go to Windows Updates. It should be listed in Start | All Programs, or you can find it in the Control Panel.

Click on View Update History and then Installed Updates. In the search bar type in KB3004394. When it shows the update, right click on it and Uninstall.

Microsoft has pulled the update so you don't have to worry about it coming back.

sembunyi

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re: Anyone ever see "C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe A referral was returned from the server" error

Thanks RumoredNow, tried several solution suggested on the web but this is the only one that really works!
And I register just to be able to say this. :wink:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

@sembunyi Thank You! That made my day. I'm glad we got your issue sorted.

Welcome to Windows Central. I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon