So it's my understanding that firmware updates must go through a carrier. Since unlocked phones are not connected to any one carrier then how do their firmware updates work? I'm wondering because I have an unlocked 930..
    12-17-2014 11:00 PM
    Updates come directly from Microsoft with no interference since there's no carrier to interfere in the first place. (unlocked phones aren't affiliated with any carrier)

Lucky you!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-17-2014 11:06 PM
    So it's my understanding that firmware updates must go through a carrier. Since unlocked phones are not connected to any one carrier then how do their firmware updates work? I'm wondering because I have an unlocked 930..
    Basically each phone will have its own region, I forget the exact name at the moment, but if you look in Extras and Info you'll see a region code. My region code is 000-22. That is the code for Latin America. So as soon as the update for the 1520 (my unlocked phone) is available. I will get it :) same with you!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-17-2014 11:23 PM
    If you still have the box the phone came in... The first line on the label should include "CV <XX>" where XX is the two letter country or region code for your specific model... Once you know that you can use the Update Look Up tables to see what your latest release is.

Software update for Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
    12-18-2014 12:10 PM
    If you still have the box the phone came in... The first line on the label should include "CV <XX>" where XX is the two letter country or region code for your specific model... Once you know that you can use the Update Look Up tables to see what your latest release is.

Software update for Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
    Any idea exactly which variant my phone is? 1520.3 CV LTAU1
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-18-2014 10:22 PM
    Same one as me so... Southwest Missouri.

LTA is a region code for LaTin America. They are generally credited as Mexican in source for sale in the US on web sites.

All Latin America individual Country Variant models on the regional charts should update as a group. I believe Nokia Mexico was the exporter of record for most all the 1520.3 distribution across Central and South America as well as the Caribbean.

A Bing search will show some import records for 1520.3 LTA.

Interestingly, the Nokia Mexico web site does not show 1520.3 any longer. Todos los equipos: Smartphones y Tablets - Microsoft - Mxico
    12-19-2014 01:10 AM