Considering a switch to WP8.1 from Android... advice/pitfalls?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Primary application usage:

Reddit, GMail, Maps, Music, Facebook, Twitter, Flipboard, WhatsApp, Uber, Instrument Tuners, etc.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
As far as apps I think WP has you covered FB is decent could use some work. For Reddit I use 3rd party app Baconit. Maps there's Here Maps and Bing Maps both good. Just got Flipboard. I use Xbox Music but there is Pandora, Spotify, Rdio if that's what you are into. WhatsApp and Ubrr are both there and recently updated. As far as the transition from Droid to WP. You will notice WP is really clean and user friendly. The keyboard is excellent with word flow. Checking Email is best in class IMO. Cortana does alot she has great features you cant find anywhere else. I.e Quiet Hours, great reminders, interests. Plus the Windows Central Community is awesome. They will help you with anything I missed

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Windows Phone has you covered as far as apps. If you have any problem it will be with app quality. You may find that lacking compared to what you're used to on Android.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Instrument Tuners
There is an app called Accurate Tuner Free that I use to tune a clarinet and trumpet; there's a huge list of instruments to choose from. There's another called modTuner, also free. Both do a great job.

I have found that the instrument-related apps are superior on Windows Phone compared with Android. Yes, there are many, many more available for Android, but all the ones I sampled were inferior to the few on Windows. And I would rather have fewer apps that are high quality, than hundreds of low quality ones.

You can add a google account to your WIndows Phone which you will probably find useful.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You can add a google account to your WIndows Phone which you will probably find useful.

Or alternatively (and preferably), setup a forwarding rule in gmail to forward all mails to your outlook account. If desired, you can also setup rules on outlook.com to organize mails into a separate folder. Every folder can then be pinned to the start screen individually.
If it's not clear why this is preferable let me know and I'll explain.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Or alternatively (and preferably), setup a forwarding rule in gmail to forward all mails to your outlook account. If desired, you can also setup rules on outlook.com to organize mails into a separate folder. Every folder can then be pinned to the start screen individually.
If it's not clear why this is preferable let me know and I'll explain.

I use the forward ability in gmail and forward any mail to my POP account in Office Outlook. It works great.

Bronislav Klofac

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I left android after four years and got my first WP for Xmas (930) absolutely delighted. Well done Microsoft ! Never used many apps, but more than people around me and I have all of them on my beauty Lumia:) Don't be afraid of it it's good move
Happy new year to all of you and good luck WP!

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I left android after four years and got my first WP for Xmas (930) absolutely delighted. Well done Microsoft ! Never used many apps, but more than people around me and I have all of them on my beauty Lumia:) Don't be afraid of it it's good move
Happy new year to all of you and good luck WP!

I disagree with the good move part. I came from Android. While I agree with you, for most, if not all Android users use Google services. That literally kills previous Android owners.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That literally kills previous Android owners.
Ouch.

I hop around from platform to platform. I usually find it better to go "all in". If you're on a Google platform, use their services, if you're on a Microsoft platform then use their mail etc. What I see with a lot of folk is that trying to pick-and-mix never quite works out. And sometimes ends in tears. Of course, how easy it is to switch everything from one to another is a different question.

If you listen to a lot of music, be sure to test drive your preferred music app on WP - the built-in one cops a lot of flak for being sub-par.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having switched through a few platforms I'd say the number one thing to keep in mind is that they are all different. Don't expect it to work/behave the same as another. That leads to frustration and disappointment. If you embrace the fact there is going to be a different way to do things from the way you have gotten used to, that makes the transition much smoother. It may be the same services you end up using, but you'll use and access them in a new way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3