How do I dictate whole stories/articles via voice to text?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

New to WP and I need to dictate whole stories/articles via voice to text - cannot find!

With the old iPhone I was able to dictate entire articles and stories (well, a few paragraphs at a time, but it is an excellent way to write if you need your hands free). I see no way possible to do this with Windows Phone. Closest thing I found was an obnoxious third party app called My Notes ----but the thing only accepts a couple of sentences and then reads them back to you! I also tried Cortana and OneNote, but 'she' too gives no visual feedback of the text, and she also creates a OneNote with an actual voice recording ---but I don't want that?
-----So: My question is, does anyone know where I can find a way to actually write, using my voice? No 'audio responses', no 'recordings' --- I just want to watch my text materialize on the screen. Someone please advise if there is a way to do this, or an application that does same. I don't mind springing for it if I have to, but if I can't find what I need for WP, this is a deal-breaker for me. Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Colligan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: New to WP and I need to dictate whole stories/articles via voice to text - cannot find!

PS - I just created an account here. The original question went in as 'Guest', but it's me. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas that you guys can offer. Tc

Thomas Colligan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: New to WP and I need to dictate whole stories/articles via voice to text - cannot find!

Absolutely. Searched a good deal. Umm.

Your thoughts on using a computer over a phone are actually useless to me. I do use a computer, and most of the time. This is for when I am not at my computer. Thing is, it works quite well in iOS 7/8 for voice dictation. So if anyone else cares to respond with something a bit more useful, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thomas Colligan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Ah I tried Google search, not WC. Noob me. Ok I will look into these links and see if any can do what I need. If so I'll post here in case anyone is trying to do similar work via phone. Thx!

Thomas Colligan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Update --Ah looks pretty useless. . WP / Cortana just isn't there yet with this. In addition to the search results provided to me by RichardBurt, I also found this - ( I am too new to post links, according to error I keep getting .. but it was for a thread entitled "Windows dPhone 8.1 Speech-to-Text")

Based on what I read there, the HTC One M8 first --- Would have had the same results (I bought the Lumia 1520).

So .... If anyone else can think of something, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

There's an app in the Windows Phone store called SpeechTrans Dictation that I have played around with. It may work for you. Fortunately there's a try before you buy option. May be worth a look.

Thomas Colligan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Hey, AJB! So far so good. Testing it out a bit now. Seems to do what I want, only with a couple of odd steps. I'll stress test it for a bit and possibly update the thread later. Thanks for getting me closer to the goal!

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I've no idea of your situation but have you considered buying one of the 8" tablets and using that as your dictation machine?

Windows has speech dictation built into it but very few people know about it or use it.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

When you text there is a pic of a microphone on the keyboard. Press that and then you can speak to text. I use it no problem

daveey

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

Been trying to train Cortana to take long notes but 'she' just ain't gettin it yet! And, she doesn't know to do punctuation either!
Farthest I've gotten was 117 words before she interrupts with "Saving your note"!
You've gotta talk fast without stumbling though! The spelling is pretty good if you talk clearly. :)

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

There is actually a way of doing it,I've seen article of it somewhere and it was done with Cortana too,you could've said what you wanted by saying Cortana copy or something like that,then it would be in clipboard and you just paste it wherever you want

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Oh my god HOW STUPID ARE WE ALL ?!?!?! one note has a microphone built into it. That can record as long as you like hahaha we are all a bunch of lemons ain't we lol

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh my god HOW STUPID ARE WE ALL ?!?!?! one note has a microphone built into it. That can record as long as you like hahaha we are all a bunch of lemons ain't we lol

Only records does not convert the speech to text which is what the op needs. And doing it in txt would have a limit. It would work but only up to 255 characters. If more than that is needed then would have to copy and paste.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3