Restoring data from 920 to 930

Luis Sheppard

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi people. I'm new to the forum. I spent about 30 mins searching for any topics on this, and I've got nowhere.

I've just purchased a brand new 930, which turned up today, and I'm in the process of setting it up. Now, I signed into my Microsoft account, and selected my 920 backup.

Once I done the rest of the setup process I get to the actual phone menu. I notice the 930 started downloading my apps, but has only restored a very few of my texts (and I need these texts!).

I've spent the last 2 hours updating it, and its now decided to reinstall all my apps again, but STILL HASNT RESTORED MY DAMN TEXTS!

Can anyone give me any suggestions, as I'm fresh out of Microsoft's ideas.

Thanks for your time people. Any help will be appreciated.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Sorry it is under such bad circumstances.

The back-up should have restored your device and all of the texts. I have done this recently, due to moving from a L920 to a M8 for Windows. It restored everything.

If I am reading this correctly, you have done the hard reset twice?

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you still have your 920? If you didn't restore it, you may be able to do another backup which will include those texts too. Make sure that in Settings>backup>messaging that "Download messages from" shows anytime instead of the last year or the last month. That may be the problem.

Luis Sheppard

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys.

When I did the cyan update in my 920, It restored all my texts, but would stall very often. So over 6 phone restarts, I got them all back.

In the message settings, ever since I owned my 920, I've backed up every message, and that setting is set to ANY TIME.

I haven't performed any hard resets in the 930, just software updates. Should I do a hard reset? If I do, would it wipe out any of the updates I've done?

I kept my 920 as a precaution to something screwing up. Glad I did.

One thing I have noticed, is that my 920 says I haven't backed up in a while, do I want to back up now. So I click yes, and when its finishes backing up, it says it encountered a problem and the backup didn't go ahead. I haven't been able to do a manual backup for over 4 months.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Here's what you have to do on your 920 to create a backup:
You will have to go to "manage backups" in the apps+settings backup setting and delete your old settings backup. Once you delete it, you will now be able backup your phone again. I'm not sure that this will also affect your text messages backup but it's worth a shot.

Luis Sheppard

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, after restarting my 930 several times, I got my messages back in several huge lumps. After faffing about on the 30 after a few days of un downloaded texts, I went into the settings and changed the DOWNLOAD MESSAGES FROM setting from ANY TIME to THIS YEAR. And all of a sudden, all the messages I text between those days appeared on the 30.

Has anyone else tries this?

Also, Beezy, I did that, and it still wouldn't back up.

Yogi76

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
No need to restart the phone to start the messages downloading again. Simply go to "Settings -> Email+accounts" and then long press you Microsoft Account and tap sync. The download of messages will start again. If it stalls again, simply repeat the process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes