How to edit full resolution photos in 1520?

vestasan

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello! I have lumia 1520, denim.
The question is - how do I edit full resolution photos, 20mp in say fhotoroom and photoshop express?
Cause after editing, it's saved as 5mp photo, not 20mp one.
Is it possible at all?
Thanks

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean so here are first a few questions/remarks.
The camera sensor of the phone is 20mp not the pictures.
Your phone can take full 4:3 or full 16:9 pictures with this camera sensor.
4:3 = 4992x3744=18690048 ≈ 19Mpix
16:9 = 5376x3024=16257024 ≈ 16Mpix
5376x3744=20127744 ≈ 20Mpix camera sensor

In the settings of the camera you have 3 options for photo storage.
JPEG 5 MP
JPEG 5 MP + 16 or 19 MP
JPEG 5 MP + DNG

The 5 MP picture is created out of the full size picture by oversampling so reducing noise etc but due to the jpeg format it is still smaller than 5MP.
The 16/19 MP picture is created out of the "full" size picture but due to the jpeg format is still smaller than 16/19 MP.
The DNG is the full pixel size without any "calculations".

DNG can not be edited on your phone by the apps you mention but there is a app RAWER which could do it (paid version).
Editing of DNG on your phone is however not really useful, this is best done on a PC with a proper DNG/RAW editor.

So which pictures do you want to edit?

Bye the way most times a 5MP photo looks better than the 16MP version due to the calculations done by your phone.
Or in other words (also here) it's not the size which matters.

vestasan

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That is an excellent answer, thank you.
I understand about dng.
But what about editing 16mpx photo, via fhotoroom or photoshop on the phone? Is it possible? Or its only 5mpx photos that can be edited on the phone, the rest on PC?
Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rawer does the same. If you want to edit the DNG or JPG at maxi-pixel size and retain that, you have to move to desktop so far as I know.

The deal is that the 5MP size becomes ideal for sharing and transfer in the mobile/internet environment. It is using the maxi-pixel for sampling, but then interpreting that back to a size that's comfortable to use on devices. If you want massive file sized pics use desktop software and print from that...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That is an excellent answer, thank you.
I understand about dng.
But what about editing 16mpx photo, via fhotoroom or photoshop on the phone? Is it possible? Or its only 5mpx photos that can be edited on the phone, the rest on PC?
Thanks

Yes you can edit the 16Mpx photo but it is confusing.

1 If you take a picture you only see the 5Mp photo in the photo hub and in the Lumia camera. This is done because the 5Mp is for sharing (the 16Mp is to "big")
2 If you however use the app FILES you also see the 16Mp picture and you can open it and change it.
3 But before you change it a copy is saved in "saved pictures". (do not know why but it happened i think that the copy is used for editing to keep the original untouched)
4 And if you edit it the edited photo will be saved in "camera roll".
5 Now you will see 3 pictures in the photo hub (all) the 5mp and the 16mp edited version both in "Camera roll". And the copy of the 16mp in "Saved Pictures"
6 And you will see 2 pictures in Lumia Camera, the 5mp and the edited 16mp version.

Please above first with 1 picture.

But as I already said in the start it is a confusing process.

Ancistrus01

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your explanation!
Do you know, how DNG works with uploading to OneDrive?
Because when I choose JPG 5MP + DNG 16MP, I can see only 5MP file on OneDrive and I can't find DNG file anywhere there.

I am curious how this uploading works with edited pictures as well. I can see smaller version on OneDrive. But not 'original' size (16MP).
Can you explain this to me?
Thank you very much!

(And sorry for my English, I am still beginner :) )

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
PureView uses the righer resolution file for editing. So, when you edit through "Crop, Rotate, Auto-Fix" or " Lumia Creative Studio, what you are really doing is editing the 16MP file. Then, PureView resolves it to a 5MP file for viewing and sharing. Typically, you don't see the high res file - be it a 16MP file on a 20MP 1520 or a 34MP file from the 41MP 1020.

That will change with Windows Phone 10. We will directly edit and send the high res files. There will no-longer be the smaller "PureView" filles. Remember that PureView was a Nokia technology developed when wireless data was at 2G and WiFi was less broadly available.

The authority on this stuff is Steve Litchfield over at AllAboutWindowsPhone.com. That's the best place to go for WinPhone Photo info.

There's a good overview of how PureView works in the first paragraphs of this article... http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/20125_Rawer_on-device_RAW_editing_on.php

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital