How to get Smime working on outlook email acct on windows phone 8.1

W

WPCentral Question

Trying to get smime working on outlook email acct on wp8.1 without success. I created a smime certificate for it on comodo and sent the pfx to that email. After clicking on the pfx file in the received email, wp8.1 prompts me for the password and then eventually says it successfully installed the certificate. From another email acct on my PC I send an email w/ smime signature to my outlook acct on wp8.1. Then I respond from that outlook acct, but the message going back is not encrypted or signed, even though in settings I have specified to sign and encrypt with smime.

facetwitter

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Have you personally gotten smime working on a windows phone? Has anyone? And I don't mean solely in a microsoft corporate infrastructure.

To answer your question, no it wasn't associated with outlook.com to the best of my knowledge, at least that wasn't mentioned anywhere when I intialized the acct on my windows phone. (It actually mentioned hotmail as the server.) I was actually prompted to open an outlook email acct while creating a microsoft acct on the phone, and then I subsequently deleted that outlook acct and open a ms exchange acct on the phone, specifying the same email address for outlook I had created previously (and it accepted it.) And actually, I have *another* different outlook acct on the phone as well (created more directly), and neither one has smime working, even though both have registered smime certificates on the phone, and have specified sign and encrypt with smime in options.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have exactly the same issue.

I've created a S/MIME certificate at both Comodo and StartSSL.

Both certificates are imported, and in my outlook account settings, I can choose either of them for signing/ciphering.

These certificates work well on Thunderbird (Linux) and "even" Outlook on my Surface 2.

But :
a) signed emails have nothing particular when received ; I can't even see the attached signature. On a IMAP account, the attached file is visible
b) even forced, I can't sign.

People say it works here for instance: S/MIME mit Windows Phone 8.1 | Thoms Blog (I don't read German but the captures are quite telling). Note that it looks like 8.1, not GDR1 (he has no "automatic/manual" option).

I wonder how on earth can we use S/MIME on WP. No OpenPGP, no S/MIME support for individuals, is this how MS intend to "help us master our privacy"?

Any hint/tips appreciated.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It may just be a case of adding to any existing MS feature requests.
That said, with the new mail client bearing the Outlook name (if nothing else MS), I'd kinda like to see cert functionality make its way in there.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
But the S/MIME is supposed to be implemented since WP8.1

And I'm not so optimistic when it comes to the outlook app on WP10. I've checked the outlook for ios app: no S/MIME support (Microsoft never implemented openPGP anyway). And they even say it's on their *long-term* support roadmap, even if it's clearly detrimental in terms of BYOD. Not that the corporate admin would impose S/MIME, but that people want to cipher/sign of their own initiative.

Again, it seemed to work for some guys before GDR1, that's weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro