Supposedly unlocked Lumia 830 but Rogers SIM locked?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Based on the extras + info, I think I have an unlocked phone.
I have a RM-985_1011 Lumia 830 for Mobile Operator 000-CA

When I inserted my Rogers nanosim, it appears to be locked. Someone gave me the phone, so I have no idea what provider it may be locked for, in order to buy an unlock code. Any help would be appreciated!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Operator 000-CA should be a Factory Unlocked phone for Canadian distribution. Have you spoken with the person who gave you the phone?

Try this: dial ##7820# and it will take you to a screen showing a SIM card behind a padlock.... If the padlock looks unlocked, then your phone is ready for any SIM and I would suspect your Rogers SIM is the culprit.

If the padlock is shown as locked then you do have a phone locked to a carrier.

Go back to the Settings > extras + info page > Manufacturer Name. If it ends in bel-ca it is locked to Bell Mobility. If it ends lus-ca it is locked to Tellus. If it ends rog-ca then it is locked to Rogers and again your Rogers SIM is suspect. So far as I know these are the locked RM-985 variants for the Canadian market.

KNYC

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi RumouredNow,

I checked again and it doesn't appear to have a carrier lock attached. When I dialed the ##7820# it shows that the padlock. The unlock codes on eBay don't seem to list any 830s in Canada. Any other ideas? Unfortunately, I can't contact the person who gave me the phone, as it was a gift from a frequent customer who doesn't visit anymore!

Thanks for your detailed response.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi RumouredNow,

I checked again and it doesn't appear to have a carrier lock attached. When I dialed the ##7820# it shows that the padlock. (Padlock is what? Locked? Unlocked?) The unlock codes on eBay don't seem to list any 830s in Canada. Any other ideas? Unfortunately, I can't contact the person who gave me the phone, as it was a gift from a frequent customer who doesn't visit anymore!

Thanks for your detailed response.

A bit of mixed message there. Since you are looking for codes on eBay I assume the padlock is showing as locked and it DOES have a carrier lock on it. And not Rogers or your Rogers SIM would work naturally.

Can you please go to Settings > extras + info > and report whether it says Lumia Denim or Lumia Cyan in a banner near the top.

I believe Rogers (ruled out) and Bell have Denim, but Telus is still on the older Cyan firmware. That will help tell us which carrier it is locked to. Or are there any carrier specific Apps in the Apps list?

IDK what unlocking fees run from Bell, but they can unlock their handsets and I suspect it is cheaper than a 3rd party service who applies a markup. My mobile phone is locked

I'm not sure Telus unlocks for non-Telus users... Unlocking your device | Mobility | Help | TELUS.com

More advice can be found here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/320157-anybody-succeeded-unlocking-830-a.html Many of the users in this thread are discussing getting 830 unlocked from Canadian carriers...

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
A bit of mixed message there. Since you are looking for codes on eBay I assume the padlock is showing as locked and it DOES have a carrier lock on it. And not Rogers or your Rogers SIM would work naturally.

Can you please go to Settings > extras + info > and report whether it says Lumia Denim or Lumia Cyan in a banner near the top.

I believe Rogers (ruled out) and Bell have Denim, but Telus is still on the older Cyan firmware. That will help tell us which carrier it is locked to. Or are there any carrier specific Apps in the Apps list?

IDK what unlocking fees run from Bell, but they can unlock their handsets and I suspect it is cheaper than a 3rd party service who applies a markup. My mobile phone is locked

I'm not sure Telus unlocks for non-Telus users... Unlocking your device | Mobility | Help | TELUS.com

More advice can be found here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/320157-anybody-succeeded-unlocking-830-a.html Many of the users in this thread are discussing getting 830 unlocked from Canadian carriers...
Old post reply.... but TELUS 830 has never had Cyan firmware, only Denim light, then full Denim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism