How can I install Windows Vista when I am using Lubuntu?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to use a program on Lubuntu or another PC to take that ISO and put it on a USB drive or DVD. (while making it bootable)

I personally use Rufus or Unetbootin

I don't remember how to do it without nuking the Lubuntu partition, but there's plenty of data regarding dual-boots so I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

Jeff Ules

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I just realized that I didn't mention the fact that I have a bootable Win7 disc, but I don't have the product key for that one, and either way, it just freezes up and a big red line appears across the top of the screen

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Installing Windows after Ubuntu is not the recommended process for a dual boot Windows and Ubuntu system, but it is possible.

First, you have to make sure that the 50GB free space is available, resizing your Ubuntu by using gParted if necessary.
Also use gParted or Disk Utility to format the the free space as NTFS, this prevents Windows 7 from creating an additional boot partition in addition to the "C" drive.

Next, boot to the Windows DVD installer and install Windows on the NTFS partition. Upon reboot, Windows will automatically boot and you won't see the grub menu allowing you to choose Ubuntu, because the Windows bootloader has replaced grub.

Now, what you need to do is run Ubuntu from LiveCD or LiveUSB and install boot-repair.

To install boot-repair, open up a terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T and type the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

After installation, boot-repair will automatically launch, if is doesn't, launch it via Dash.

Make sure to select recommended repair to repair grub. Reboot and that's it.
You should now have a Grub menu on boot, allowing you to choose from Ubuntu, memtest, and Windows 7

dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe read both my post and the other before reposting it?
If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to format your HDD and install Windows from scratch. Then install Ubuntu if you want it.

Hopefully you had a backup of your data somewhere else, since it appears that formatting will be your only option.

If you're new to Linux, I recommend booting from the Live CD/DVD/USB to try it, or installing Linux in a virtual machine, such as VMware Player or Virtual Box, rather than attempting dual-boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon