I currently have Windows 7 pro, if I switch to Windows 10, will I loose my desktop icons?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I currently have windows 7 pro, if i switch to windows 10, will i loose my desktop icons.

I'm tempted to download to the new windows. But I wonder if it's going to be just like windows 8. with all those tiles on screen. will I be able to keep my desktop icons. or be able to use them.
Please advise;
Tejano

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: I currently have windows 7 pro, if i switch to windows 10, will i loose my desktop icons.

The Windows 10 UI is different from 8 lol
If you UPGRADE, It should keep all if the applications you have installed (and their icons).

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I would advice you not to update on July 29 if you have any concerns. Just wait a few days longer and check the media or a friends computer who did the update so you will "see" what you "get".

espacepublishing

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: I currently have windows 7 pro, if i switch to windows 10, will i loose my desktop icons.

In windows 10 the tiles have been squeezed into the start menu, so it's a kind of a hybrid of the UI in windows 7 and 8. I think it works quite well, though might take some getting used to.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm tempted to download to the new windows. But I wonder if it's going to be just like windows 8. with all those tiles on screen. will I be able to keep my desktop icons. or be able to use them.

You don't lose your desktop icons in Windows 8 or Windows 10. In fact, the desktop in Windows 8 looks and functions exactly like the desktop in Vista and Windows 7. The changes are to things like the Taskbar and Start Menu, the desktop itself has not been touched. Here is a screenshot of my Windows 8 desktop:

W8_Desktop.jpg

As you can see, there really isn't much difference between W7 and W8. Everything you do in W7 every day works almost exactly the same way in W8. Some of it may look a bit different but, in reality, they way they work is pretty much the same.

As for Windows 10, it doesn't really change much in the desktop from Windows 8 so you will also find it very familiar.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

In windows 10 the tiles have been squeezed into the start menu, so it's a kind of a hybrid of the UI in windows 7 and 8. I think it works quite well, though might take some getting used to.
No it isn't. What it is is the Windows 8 Start Screen repackaged to look a little bit like the Vista/W7 Start Menu. It is only skin deep, it works like Windows 8, not like Windows 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos