What data will I lose if I roll back to wp8.1 from the w10 preview?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the w10 preview last week and I absolutely can't stand all the bugs and lag. I want to roll back to 8.1 but first I need to know what data I will lose in the process...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this as well, though maybe slightly different. I had migrated from 8.1 to 10 and for the most part it was ok, but over the next couple of days I found more and more issues, and so ensured that a backup had been done with WP10 in place, and then did a hardware reset. Restoring the backup was a bit of a pain, it kept saying it was unable to send the authentication code via any of the methods, but actually it had sent the code, and when I realised this I was able to restore the backup. This was successful, but nearly all apps needed downloading again, and most apps needed unpinning from the start screen and then re-pinning. There were and still are some issue with some apps downloading: extras and info is missing and store beta reports error 0x80070003 when trying to download, same for Here maps and App social and possibly two more apps that are still trying.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
What have I done... I really don't want to lose all my data on Terraria... but that means living with this laggy mess...

Welp, hopefully it'll get significantly better with the next couple builds. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ You were warned a gazillion times that installing the preview could brick your phone, or that you could lose all your data. That's part of the insiders preview deal.

If you made a backup using 8.1 before installing the preview, which is standard procedure, you'll be able to restore that after reverting back to 8.1. If not, then everything will be lost except that which you can copy from your phone to your pc.

On the bright side, mistakes are a good learning opportunity. ��

Good luck.

Last edited:

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
^ You were warned a gazillion times that installing the preview could brick your phone, or that you could lose all your data. That's part of the insiders preview deal.

If you made a backup using 8.1 before installing the preview, which is standard procedure, you'll be able to restore that after reverting back to 8.1. If not, then everything will be lost except that which you can copy from your phone to your pc.

On the bright side, mistakes are a good learning opportunity. ��

Good luck.

This is true but when I tried reinstalling the backup it would not accept the authentication code. I was looking at it and typing it in exactly and it kept saying the code was wrong. It was definitely a good learning experience that patience is a virtue but I'm sure with the next build ill be tempted again!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It was definitely a good learning experience that patience is a virtue but I'm sure with the next build ill be tempted again!
You're in good company then. Temptation gets the better of most of us :grin:

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to OneDrive with a desktop browser and see if you can delete the last backup, so as to force WP to use the backup before that. WP/OneDrive usually keep more than one copy (after reverting to WP8.1).

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
You will NOT necessarily be able to restore a WP8.1 backup when you roll back. I made sure I had an 8.1 backup before installing WM10, ran it for 3-4 days, decided to go back. Flashing L930 back to 8.1 went ok but there were no 8.1 backups available to restore for some reason. Logged into my OneDrive to see what was going on, and sure enough the only available backup was a WM10 one, the previous 8.1 backups were gone. Be warned!!! Restoring a WM10 backup to an 8.1 device was an interesting experience with lots of issues (mostly minor), but time consuming. The oddest (is that a real word) issue I had/have is that there are two "Phone" apps in the list, one of which is working ok, the other if pinned to the start screen shows "Phone Off" which was a little concerning to start with, but the other "Phone" app works normally thankfully.

Don't assume that rolling back to 8.1 is simple and trouble free, it may not go as smoothly as you'd like, and you may not be able to restore a backup.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ So the question is why? What's the difference? Did you enable backup during W10M setup (using express), while those people for whom it was possible to revert back to 8.1 and restore didn't (using custom)?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall doing anything other than accepting the default settings when upgrading to WM10. It's probably done me good to have a clear-out anyway, phone running silky smooth. I appreciate how good WP8.1 is now that I've rolled back to it. Everything just works, and works well, though I'm sure WM10 will be great as well by the time it's finished.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon