Windows10 install error "80240020"its failed.

Maxwell Fong

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Been there, tried installing all other updates before using the command prompt. Then it started downloading.
Downloaded a 5GB package at first, setup.exe told me that boot.wim was missing, cleared the SoftwareDistribution/Download folder, redid the command prompt and currently downloading a 8GB package. Making a USB from the MCT in case it fails again.

tazmo8448

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
First time failed for me too on desktop using the win media thing; the desktop on the other hand went rather smooth but still has an AMD Radeon HD 5000 series issue along with the ATI Mobiliy gfx card.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
All three of our machines, here have had the exact same error, crazy, why spend months ironing out issues with windows 10 and making out its the best thing since sliced bread, yet they cant even get the download/update to work correctly...seriously :(

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Success finally! My advice (mirrors others): Stop messing around with the windows update process (wuaucli.exe) if you are getting errors that you can't resolve.

OK, now that you've stopped, get a USB flash drive, it'll need 3 GB free. Download the Media Creation tool from Microsoft. Follow the instructions. Once you've done that, you can start the install following instructions provided by browsing to the setup.exe file on the flash drive. Be sure to select the proper language for the install.

This worked to me after a frustrating day yesterday. I did have one installation error that caused me to track down a solution: It involved Windows not be able to install into the partition (forgot the exact wording). I found the solution to that by searching on the error message as the search term.

tazmo8448

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I personally don't want to go with a fresh OS install as I have way too many programs and files that I want intergrated plus I do want it (the install) to assign that lifetime key code or whatever it is while doing the upgrade. The install went fine on the craptop except the compatibility issue with the AMD gfx cards (have dual cards) the onboard HD 4XXX series shows no driver and the HD 5XXX series shows incompatible even with the so called ~Win10 15.7~ upgrade from AMD. What I did see on the craptop in Win10 I'm not so wild about it smackes too much of a smartphone set up which in my universe doesn't belong on a PC, smartphone yes PC no. May just hold onto Win7 til its dying day. I don't give one wit about apps that Win10 seems so keen on. Navigation is another learning curve it seems all over the place on Win10 don't know why when M$ knew us Win7 people rejected Win8 & 8.1 they thought they could add a few Win7 similarities and we would fall for it.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Those of you using the media creation tool kit. Do you not have the option to "upgrade this pc"?

I tried the updates here 4 times on my wifes computer with varying errors from Windows Update and in the end I just gave up and downloaded the x64 file from here: Windows 10

I ran the file and selected "Upgrade this pc" and let it do it's thing. This was the default option and there was no requirement to make a DVD or USB key.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had this issues yesterday on my Surface - after running past MS Support yesterday this is what I found to get it installed:

1. Make sure you're plugged into your charger and have a strong internet connection
  2. Win + R, type wuauclt.exe /updatenow. Then open Windows Update and check for updates
  3. If you're like me and it didn't install or download go to Windows Update troubleshooting and let it reset some of the WU components
  4. NOW check for updates

Note: I didn't restart my computer at all. And I had all the installation files prior in the $Windows~BT folder thingy

yannickv

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Finally found this information, coming from Microsoft on (cannot post a link on this forum, yet). Search for "windows update installation failure 80240020 AllowOSUpgrade" on answers.microsoft.com

Error "Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020" is not an error (or not always ?) but indicates that Microsoft has not allowed the system to upgrade yet. MS does not want everybody to upgrade at once, as they explained several times already.

The page tells about which registry entry allows the update. It worked perfectly well for me. Now typing in Microsoft Edge under Windows 10 ;-)

tazmo8448

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.”

This is the official M$ site discussing the '80240020' error and a registry fix to begin your update ahead of their (M$) planned queue. It works I am currently doing the update now. Previously I tried the Windows Media Tool to no avail and got the above mentioned error. This registry tweak places your update to the head of the line. Will report back when this update/upgrade finishes.

chuksokoh

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I signed up for the free Windows 10 upgrade on my Dell latitude e6220 but any time I attempt the upgrade, it always fail with error code 80240020. There is also another message that Dell Data Protection Access is not compatible. how do I remove the Dell Protection Access application?

neville311

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WINDOWS > CURRENTVERSION > WINDOWS UPDATE > OS UPGRADE
It Should exist, but if not then create it
Open the run command (WIN+R) and type regedit in the box and click ok
once the window open and you have navigated to path : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WINDOWS > CURRENTVERSION > WINDOWS UPDATE > OS UPGRADE
If OS UPGRADE is not available then click on the empty space in the right window pane
Create a new DWORD VALUE with Name=AllowOSUpgrade and set the Value=0x00000001
Save the registry file and close it. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect and this should resolve your problem.

Thanks and Regrds
Neville

Sam Moss

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
That one was the second thing I tried after the Media Tool and after changing the registry and adding the Dword AllowOSUpgrade and setting it to 1 it did put the 2.7k mb update in my WU but after running it (3 times) when it came time to install (you know the blue screen with large white install circle showing the percentages of install) it got to 2% (three times) and quit with the error code 08024402C (three times). Googled that code and it was supposedly getting hung up on either the AV, the Firewall settings or any sort of Malware protection plus it said to check the dns settings in respect to IPv4 & IPv6 making sure they were set to 'auto-connect' (they were) turned off MSE,Firewall and MBAM Premium ran it again and still got the same error. Running the Windows Update Diagnostic tool it came up with the same error (08024402C). The M$ article stated if you've tried all of the above and still get the error then you must await your turn in the W10 queue and when you are duly notified you may then upgrade your PC.....so it seems I'm just going to have to cool my jets and wait my turn.

My laptop using the Media Tool went swimmingly (whatever that means).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720