Windows10 install error "80240020"its failed.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I've tried the "delete and force install" solution twice now and both times it has downloaded in Windows Update, only to fail installation.

I seriously doubt it will ever work for me. Guess I'll try an ISO.

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Any updates on this error? Im stuck at this step as well... have forced the update twice both with the same error after it finishes downloading. It starts installing but after a while it just shows the red 80240020 error. I now reboted my pc and am trying for the third time now, hope it works this time x)

First download was about 5gb, second was 8gb, this third one is almost 3gb... whats the deal here?:eck:

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Michal Gill

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I found a solution:

go to C:/windows/softwaredistribution/download and delete everything in this folder

After doing that try to run CMD again (as admin) and write in the wuauclt.exe/updatenow

Now you should just watch it to start downloading in the win update without crashing. Hope it works for everybody, worked for me.

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have done this three times now. After the third one i emptied the download folder again and rebooted my pc instead, i then executed the command /updatenow in cmd as admin after logging in... Is downloading again right now for the 4th time, i sure hope it works this time, or at least soon!!!:crying:

Jesterman

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
How is it a time zone error? This is the 29th I am in Calif and it is 8:47 when are they going to let it go. When I clear the folder it gives me a message something needs your attention before installing windows 10 click check pc button and it just goes back to update and does nothing.

carraig

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I kept getting the same error, eventually I downloaded the MediaCreationToolx64 from MS's website and used that to create an installation usb-stick... which worked out nicely.
You can also use the tool to create a DVD instead, if you prefer that.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just had word from Microsoft that they're actively investigating this issue. I'll respond if/when I get further news. I know this is frustrating, its affecting me as well.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Huh. My last attempt worked. I deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder and used the wuauclt.exe method. This time the download was over 5Gb where before it was about 3. I guess the update package has been fixed on the server for some users.

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here since this morning. Have tried the SoftwareDistribution fix, no joy.

Windows Update tells that I need to check my PC before upgrading and "Before installing Windows 10 Preview, Something Needs Your Attention." The pane to the right indicates 0 kb. Clicking on the "Check Your PC" button just loops me back to the Update screen.

So far, having no fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes