Win+X context menu shortcuts not working

W

WPCentral Question

As the title says. I upgraded to win 10 yesterday and at first the menu shortcuts worked but were just a bit laggy. Now all of a sudden they stopped working whatsoever. Only run, search, desktop, and power options work. The rest, like task manager and programs and features, don't work. When I click them nothing happens.
I've googled the issue and it seems it happened to people upgrading from win 7 to 8 before.

The solution that was recommended most of the time is refreshing/resetting my pc which I don't want to do as I have too many big programs (steam games/university tools) to redownload.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations? I'm not bad with a computer so I can follow instructions without you having to go into step by step explanations.

I've already looked at /username/appdata/local/microsoft/windows/winX and even replaced it with the one from Default user folder.

The shortcuts in the folder work just fine when i double-click them.

To be clear, I can bring up the menu by right clicking start or pressing win+X, the problem is when i click most shortcuts nothing happens.

I've already tried this (my registry entry was fine/unchanged already):

Ok, found the problem after much installing and uninstalling etc.
To get rid of the shortcut arrows on the desktop icons I had followed some instructions on renaming a registry entry which removed the arrow but as I now know stopped Win+X working as well.
The culprit was.. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\IsShortcut , I had renamed it to NoIsShortcut.
Thanks for the help and deep thought.
Colin

And this (didn't do anything):

I just managed to resolve this. For the benefit of anyone else who encounters this issue in the future, it seems it's caused by one or more desktop applications that install [Win 8 incompatible] shell extensions into the Windows right-click context menu.
I downloaded and ran http:// www. nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html from Nir Sofer's brilliant site. This util lists every shell extension and allows you to quickly disable them, so I just disabled each non-Microsoft one in turn (you must then restart Windows Explorer), until I found the culprit.
With offending shell extension disabled ( RWipe & Clean v8.0 in my case), every option on the 8.1 Power Users (Win + X) menu now works Image

And I've already tried running a "sfc /scannow"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs