Why does my wifi keep dropping out on my Toshiba after upgrading to Win10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

WiFi keeps dropping out on Toshiba after upgrade to Win10

Hi, Since upgrading to Windows 10, the wifi on my Toshiba Satellite U920T keeps dropping out on my BT home hub based wifi network. The symptoms are:
- WiFi OK for a few minutes after reboot
- Then shows no Internet available, and then drops.
- After that it may, or may not, reconnect but it only lasts a few minutes.
- It's usually not possible to select another WAP to connect to (possible, but it hangs)
- Seems (not sure though) to be better when I'm right next to the WAP.
- Not all the known to be available WAPs are detected until a reboot is made.
- While I'm having problems with the Tosh, other devices (Win 8, Android) are working fine when connected to the same WAP. (Honestly!)

I have an impression that the wifi adapter is no longer coping with weak or fluctuating wifi signals, but that's an impression only.

So far I have done all these things with no improvement:
- removed the WiFi adapter device, rebooted and let it re-install
- Downloaded the most up to date drivers from Intel (it's a Centrino Wireless N2230 adapter)
- Released and refreshed the IP address
- Tried a command to remove old VPN software (there was not any, as I don't use VPN on this machine)
- I even made sure that the Netgear wifi extender which I use in some parts of the house had the latest firmware and reset that.

Now I have run out of ideas - any thoughts on what I might try next?
All ideas appreciated!

Thanks, Dave

Flora Posteschild

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: WiFi keeps dropping out on Toshiba after upgrade to Win10

None, except that Windows 10 has knocked out my wifi completely, and there's no hope from my computer manufacturer. On HP's site it says that machines purchased before August 2013 but with Windows 10 have to get any software updates from Windows now. The alternative is to go back to your old operating system. Go to hell.

Yes, I am a little bitter.

paulminer

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

I get exactly the smae problems on my desktop using a Netgear WPN111 USB adapter - problem only started after latest security update KB3081424 which fails on a 64bit pc because of a faulty graphics card driver - sorry I agreed to update to Windows 10 - this sucks!

topher5

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site

Yup, I have about the same issue. My laptop WiFi connection keeps dropping out randomly although the WiFi is consistent and on with the rest of the house. It even still shows a WiFi signal on the computer, but just won't let me connect. If I wait a while it will reconnect and work fine. This never happened before upgrading, and we haven't had problems with the WiFi in general. The signal strength keeps fluctuating now and it seems there is nothing to do when it drops out besides wait for it to feel like reconnecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes