Why does my Lumia 550 keep dropping wifi?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 550 keeps dropping wifi

Has anyone found the reason why my new microsoft lumia 550 keeps dropping wifi? It suddenly becomes unconnected and when you tap to connect it says cannot connect to wifi blah blah. if you switch the phone off and back on it is connected until it goes again which can be hours. All other devices connected to my router never loose connection. Is it a fault with the phone, less than one month old or something else?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 550 keeps dropping wifi

Hi, have you checked that you are running the latest software and firmware?
If you run the Windows Device Recovery Tool from a pc/laptop and connect your phone via USB.
The programme will give you the choice to install the update or reinstall if already upto date.
Either way I would run the utility to see if it fixes your issue.
Be aware that it will wipe your phone, so perform a backup first.

If you need more help sign up to this forum, so that you can reply to this thread.
Good luck.

Bert McGaughey

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone found the reason why my new microsoft lumia 550 keeps dropping wifi? It suddenly becomes unconnected and when you tap to connect it says cannot connect to wifi blah blah. if you switch the phone off and back on it is connected until it goes again which can be hours. All other devices connected to my router never loose connection. Is it a fault with the phone, less than one month old or something else?

This is a known (notorious) problem with the 550. I have had the handset since release in late 2015 and no updates have changed it. I am running the latest mainstream OS version and hardware firmware version to no avail. I discussed it at length with the Microsoft tech support chat, and they said (paraphrasing) I was not the only one to report this and their only solution was for me to send it to a Microsoft tech support centre (at my own cost) and lose my phone for 7-10 days whilst they "inspect the hardware".

Basically I think all or the majority of 550's have dodgy Wi-Fi antennae and Microsoft aren't officially admitting it unless you push them.

John Banks4

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi, I took mine back to the Three shop i bought if from yesterday and explained to the manager what was happening. He told me this was normal and a built in feature to save battery. When wifi is not used for a certain amount of time it disconnects and you have to switch phone off and on to get it back. It does not sound right to me but i could not argue with him

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty