INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after factory reset. windows 10

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Before I start let me just say how I'm not a pro at computing, so I may need some terminology explained.

So I got my HP pavilion at Christmas time (8 months ago) and it had windows 8.1 installed on it. Then, on the 29th on July I got windows 10 upgrade for free as many other people did. I decided to factory reset my laptop to clear everything off of it, because I had a lot of unwanted stuff building up on it. After it reset it attempted to load then came up with a blue screen and a message saying something like ':( we ran into an error and need to restart. We will restart for you' and a message below saying error to research: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. The laptop will then restart and come up with the same message endlessly. I have looked on multiple forums which said to install the windows 10 ISO and media creation tool onto a USB then plug it into the laptop. I have done this but I don't think the laptop is reading the USB and is still trying to boot itself. I cannot use any functions (f2 f8 f10 or f12) and i don't have a windows disc where I can reinstall windows again fresh. I really need help as it hasn't been working for days now. All replies appreciated. Thank you.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same problem when trying to reset windows 10 after the upgrade. Same error message on two devices. So I had no choice but to reinstall windows 8.1 and then upgrade to 10. You are going to have to get your PC to boot via USB or CD somehow. If you cannot boot using USB like you mentioned and cant find the windows 8.1 disc to reinstall then you have another option. I'm assuming that you can boot with a disc, you said you just don't have one. Use the media creation tool to mount the ISO to a CD and reinstall Windows 10 from the CD. I use Image Burn to mount ISOs to CDs. You SHOULD be able to install Windows 10 fresh from that CD and skip the ques for product key and will activate automatically because you already upgraded to Windows 10. You say you cannot use any function keys? That is how I get windows to boot with a CD so there may be some workaround you can do to get it to boot from CD. Maybe someone more advanced with computers can answer that, I'm really not sure. When that happened to me I was still able to use the function keys to boot from a CD. I hope that helps somewhat. I know what it's like to be in your position and I know it sucks, sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck